Sign in to follow this  
caaront

New forums will hurt the activity at Avsim.

Since the update AVSIM has been painfully slow. Like back to the dial up days of loading a picture. AVSIM has always been slower than most sites I visit but this is really slow. I also miss the most recent topics posted and responded to. I imagine once we get use to the change it will be fine but the site being slow will definitely have me visiting less.

Richie Walsh

It does seem to be getting sprightlier as the day wears on. :D

Disclaimer: The selection of any particular emoticon does not necessarily reflect the feeling of the poster. :tw_dizzy: See?

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

7 hours ago, Irishcurse said:

Since the update AVSIM has been painfully slow. Like back to the dial up days of loading a picture. AVSIM has always been slower than most sites I visit but this is really slow. I also miss the most recent topics posted and responded to. I imagine once we get use to the change it will be fine but the site being slow will definitely have me visiting less.

Richie, a lot of back-end crunching is going on as the software continues to re-index the tens of thousands of posts and images. Several days and it's still only around 30% complete...

...or so I understand. ;P

Gah! I sure hope we'll eventually get the venerable emojies back! I miss several of 'em a lot!

• Upvote 2

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

On 24.2.2017 at 11:56 PM, jabloomf1230 said:

I actually like the new format except for one feature. The mobile version is mush. That's why ORBX uses Tapatalk. AVSim should really go back to making Tapatalk available.

Agreed, I am depending on mobile and still miss Tapatalk on Avsim.

Allthough, Avsim on mobile theme is better now than it was yesterday, so I guess there's still work in progress. 

Thanks to all who are involved in the work behind the scenes!

23.png

When it comes to the designing aspect, it's a one man show.  I'm learning a lot about it, though.  My next feat is figuring how to make the big image only show up on the front page, and the logo on the other pages.  It has opened up the screen drastically so far.

Keep up the good work Chase, I know what it's like to have to do this. Not sure why you guys didn't build and test the new site first, but I'm sure there was a good reason.

Growing pains.  Eventually we'll get used to it, and things will go back to normal.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

14 hours ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Keep up the good work Chase, I know what it's like to have to do this. Not sure why you guys didn't build and test the new site first, but I'm sure there was a good reason.

It was posted elsewhere, but "they" did in fact do extensive testing on the forum software. Unfortunately, most of the settings didn't migrate across to the live software... :blush:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Actually, I like the new design and also the new "unread content" page. The only problem I have is that I can't get the filters on the "unread content" page to work. Under "ownership" it is possible to filter the threads Imhave participated in. But if I tick that filter, nothing happens. Is this a known problem or is it a problem on my end?

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

2 hours ago, carlito777 said:

Actually, I like the new design and also the new "unread content" page. The only problem I have is that I can't get the filters on the "unread content" page to work. Under "ownership" it is possible to filter the threads Imhave participated in. But if I tick that filter, nothing happens. Is this a known problem or is it a problem on my end?

I believe you have to hit f5 to refresh the page after you make a setting.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I like the looks of the new website.  I'll be glad when it speeds up a little, but it does look a lot more modern.

Great job on it guys.

Bob

Thanks Robert.  I think the site will be great when everyone gets familiar with it and finds all of the features.  We are still rebuilding posts and media from the old site and not even at 50% yet.  Once that is all completed, I expect the site will speed up.  Let's put it this way, it is supposed to be faster!  Kudos to Chase and our tech, Brian, for their hard work (hard work that will continue to happen for some time to come).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

15 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I believe you have to hit f5 to refresh the page after you make a setting.

That doesn't really help if you're using a tablet! Having said that, most of the early criticisms of the new forums seem to be steadily being sorted out so well done to the administrators.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

It seems that I cannot browse the forum with my phone (Samsung Note 1). Either the forums load so slowly or they don´t load at all. This has turned my morning coffee sour.