Sign in to follow this  
caaront

New forums will hurt the activity at Avsim.

I have a Samsung SmartPhone S6 and the site looks great on it.  I can browse the forums really fast.  I have a 4K connection.  Unfortunately I cannot test on a tablet as I have none but the concept is the same and it is a very, very modern website using the latest technology for SmartPhones, I-Pads, Notepads, computers, laptops and other devices.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I am actually adapting to this new look and beginning to really like it after all.

The forums are faster for me, I can still track my activity through a button in my profile, overall they have a cleaner look !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Please bring back the list of most recent topics that was in the upper right quadrant of the old forum format. I used that every time I visited the forum...

Russ

Master Sergeant, U.S. Air Force, Retired

Former T-33A Crew Chief

Former B-1B Crew Chief / Flightline Maintenance Expediter

Former Learjet Corp. Quality Inspector

Formerly Young (😩)

b1bmsgt - Click the Unread Content in the top right corner (below the banner), then click on Activity (it'll be grey) in the top left corner under the banner.  You will now see "All Recent Activity" and it will auto-update for you as threads are created or added to.

• Upvote 1

To comment Jim´s statement; Perhaps it is just slow then. I pay for 4G but my phone seems to run only 3G.

Yep, no success with android. Fortunately I can browse the newest topics here at work...

Guys, as Jim has said, please give it time. We are all resistant to change..to the point that some people fear it. I really trust that once people get used to the new forums and understand the workings (not to mention having all the background work finished sometime this week) the forums will be more user friendly and just as fast as they used to be. Change is good and can be fun.

Brian A. Neuman

Proud simmer since 1982 using the following simulators: Sublogic Flight Simulator 1 and 2. Microsoft Flight Simulator 4.0, 5.1, FS95, FS98, FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, FSX (and unfortunately Flight!). Terminal Reality Fly 1 and 2. Sierra Pro Pilot, Looking Glass/Eidos/Electronic Arts Flight Unlimited I, II and III, Laminar Research X-Plane 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11, FS Aerofly 2, Lockheed Martin Perpar3D 2.X, 3.X, 4.X and 5.X and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020). Not to mention numerous combat simulators and games related to flight that I have played with over the years.

System: Intel I7-7700K-Water Cooled, 32GB Ram, GTX 1080Ti, 500gb SSD, 1TB HD and dedicated 1TB and 2TB SSD's for Flight Simulators

I think I know the reason for problem with mobile phone. The web page detects it and gives a different layout than in PC. If I could just find the setting that avsim would be opened in same layout as PC, then it would work.

6 hours ago, Nurmblitz said:

If I could just find the setting that avsim would be opened in same layout as PC, then it would work.

That setting does not exist as the format has to be condensed.  I can make the forums larger by simply expanding the images with my fingers then bring it back to normal. 

On 2/28/2017 at 9:30 AM, rototom said:

I'm still finding it very slow.

Good news!  The rebuilding of the posts has been completed!  What did it take?  5-6 days to complete? Bad news - 160 additional tasks to do but many should be done quickly. Updating a website that has been around for some time takes a long time to complete.  Brian and Bill have correctly commented above about the time and the resources involved with an update of our software.  It's great having many "guests" checking out our new site and getting info from the new PMDG 747 release (sometimes over 1300) and that takes up resources too.  Once the update is complete, I hope the site is fast.  I have to moderate and it sometimes gets really slow moving topics and other moderating duties.  I think the site will be very quick once everything is done.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have figured out how to find my threads and ones I have posted in, but miss the old style a lot. I will however get used to this new jazz, but have been here 3-4 times in a week, used to be here 20 times a day.

As I suspected, it takes much longer to see what you want, it used to be a glance as it was all right there, nice and pretty.

Aaron Tirrell

I'm warming up to this new format. I felt lost at first but now finding the new features and new ways of reading posts very useful. Thanks Avsim staff.

• Upvote 1

John  Hubbard   MSFS2020 - Win10