Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

Am I Snakebit? My new Oculus Rift Sensor inop.

My brand new Oculus Rift was set up yesterday. Had to make several changes in my rig: nVidia 1060 has only one HDMI and one DVI but THREE display ports. My 35" Vizio TV has four HDMI and one VGA(no BVI).Switched to a 24" ASUS monitor, started Oculus setup.

All went well until the sensor could not be detected. I switched it to every USB 3 porton the PC plus a USB3 hub. Went through the reboot, reboot after power turned off, etc. About six(6) hours including a trip to town looking for display adapters. So far, Virtual Reality has been a "virtual wish" for me After a few more attempts this morning it will either work or go back to Amazon..

Any suggestions appreciated.

Neal Howard

Forgot to mention: All this is after a week trying to get VR using Rifcat and flyinside both for FSX Steam and P3D v3

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Do you see the sensor in Windows Device Manager and/or the Oculus software under Settings-Devices?

What I suggest if you haven't tried that already is to unplug and then plug the sensor back in while your computer is up and running.

Another thing you can try which solved a similar issue for me where sometimes only one of my two sensors showed up in the Oculus software is to change the startup type for the service called Oculus VR Runtime Service to 'Automatic - Delayed Start'. Doing that means you won't be able to launch the Oculus software directly after boot but you'll have to wait for about 1-2 minutes. If you keep an eye on the service you'll see when it has started and you can then start the Oculus software.

One more thing you could try...in the Oculus software there an option called Restart Oculus under the Beta menu. Try that one if you still don't see the sensor after doing the above steps.

Lastly just to make sure your hardware and especially the USB ports are compatible you should try to run the file OculusCompatCheck.exe found in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-compat. That will check your hardware for any compatibility issues. You could also try to reinstall the Oculus drivers by running the file called oculus-driver.exe found in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-drivers.

If nothing of these suggestions help you I would get in touch with Oculus support and also send them the logs which you can produce by running OculusLogGatherer.exe found in C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics. That will create a zip file you can send them containing all info required about your system making it more easy for them to understand your issue and help you out.

We'll get you going I'm sure, only a matter of time before you're enjoying VR :)

Richard Åsberg

Thanks HiFlyer but I have already done those. My setup goes perfectly except the sensor is never found,,,just that little circling search thing. Also have tried every USB port.   Think it must be dead (?)

Guess it is tie to process a refund/exchange. I'm getting too old to waste days getting a device to work.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

34 minutes ago, OldFlyboy said:

Thanks HiFlyer but I have already done those. My setup goes perfectly except the sensor is never found,,,just that little circling search thing. Also have tried every USB port.   Think it must be dead (?)

Guess it is tie to process a refund/exchange. I'm getting too old to waste days getting a device to work.

I know there have been issues with the sensors so I honestly don't think there's anything wrong with your sensor. I would highly suggest you try the things I suggested in my last post and hopefully your sensor will come alive!

Richard Åsberg

Many, many thanks to you WebMaximus. You must have posted your first reply while I was thanking HiFlyer.

The good news: It WORKS...did a usbdeview, did that restart process, and then I\the sensor lit up (and on a USB 2). However I am unable to get it to work with either FSX Steam or P3D, It will load both but that is all. Oculus has the most pathetic help files I have ever seen. Tomorrow I believe I will try flyinside with it. unless re-reading all the various web posts do not give me any new things to try.

The introductory demos were absolutely astonishing....especially being on the ledge of that skyscraper.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

That's great you at least had some success and I fully agree, the scene at the ledge in the introductory demo is amazing and certainly the kind of scene where you don't want someone to give you a nudge from behind ;-)

Not sure if I follow you when you say you can't get it to work with FSX:SE nor P3D and then say you will try FlyInside tomorrow. My only experience using VR with P3D is with the FlyInside software so if you do the same thing tomorrow that will hopefully allow you to enjoy VR also in your simulators.

Looking forward to hear what you think once you made it into the sim in VR. When you find yourself in the VR cockpit for the first time, that's an amazing feeling I can assure you!

Richard Åsberg

Two questions:

Do you use Flyinside with both P3D and FSX?

Does SteamVR need to run with FSX SE?

This has really turned into an ordeal but maybe today...........

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

3 hours ago, OldFlyboy said:

Two questions:

Do you use Flyinside with both P3D and FSX?

Does SteamVR need to run with FSX SE?

This has really turned into an ordeal but maybe today...........

Flyinside has separate versions (and free demos) for Fsx(se) P3D Xplane.

Flyinside will automatically start your indicated version of FSX or P3D.

If you have FSXSE, Steam will automatically begin to run, except perhaps if you are in offline mode (never tried that)

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Maybe it's time for me to take up something simple like Hang Gliding or Skateboarding. Either one would put me out of my misery in a hurry.

I reinstalled Flyinside just in case and first tried P3D. Each attempt was the same: During the loading stage, the usual Flyinside screen and the "Sorry P3D is slow loading etc" I check the monitor and P3D has that "faded" look that usually means it will not load.  and it never does.

Then tried FSX SE and all looked good: the Flyinside menus showed along with the "Waiting for sim" screen. Then FI reported that I should load a plane. Removed the headset and found the FSX start screen to the far left of my monitor, The column for 'Free Flight, Settings" etc was off the screen and the start page could not be moved. Naturally I was unable to select a plane.

Why is it that these things work for you guys and I still have not gotten a peep inside a cockpit?

Inteli7@4.3Ghz, new 1060 graphics, SSDs, and washed and waxed regularly.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Long shot ,but have you checked to see if there any permissions to ok in p3d i've had this a couple of times despite having the administrator  rights

Pete Little

Also try running FlyInside as admin. Think I might have mentioned it before though.

Did you already post about your issues over in the FlyInside forums?

Richard Åsberg

2 hours ago, OldFlyboy said:

Then tried FSX SE and all looked good: the Flyinside menus showed along with the "Waiting for sim" screen. Then FI reported that I should load a plane. Removed the headset and found the FSX start screen to the far left of my monitor, The column for 'Free Flight, Settings" etc was off the screen and the start page could not be moved. Naturally I was unable to select a plane.

You don't have to remove the headset to choose a plane. Just enlarge the FSX screen in flyinside, (large desktop view) grab your mouse and select as if you were using your monitor then click on fly now. After a bit, you will find yourself in the cockpit of the chosen plane at the chosen starting location.

Again, there is no reason to ever take off the headset or leave flyinside.

Devons rig

Thank you all again for taking so much time helping me. I run almost all programs as Administrator and have shared many folders. First chore today: Recheck ALL permissions ALL folders that need sharing,

I actually got FSX-SE loaded yesterday but, as I mentioned, the entire left side of the screen was off the monitor. I was unable to click on Free Flight (or anything else. Switched to wide/world view. Got this beautiful wrap around screen. Unfortunately, FSX start screen still out of view. I tried dragging it, sending it to monitor #2, resizing, etc...no luck.

Happily, no lawn mowing, pruning, or other of my wife's "do list" will be on my agenda for today/

Best wishes to all

Neal H

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

That's really, really weird. Are you using some sort of custom resolution or multi-monitor settings for fsx? Anything strange in something like Nvidia inspector?

Devons rig