Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

New Forum Layout

2 minutes ago, rototom said:

This new forum is hard on VAS.

Not if you are using a 64 bit browser.

• Upvote 1

When you visit your couple of favorite forums and all have the same interface or software, it just makes things too uniform...
At least here in Europe the new interface is more than twice slower.

1 hour ago, Keven Menard said:

We can't stay in 1998 forever guys, we have to move on with the time. The new template has a lot of modern features that will make the forum easier to use in the long run.

Thank you for updating the forum, I personally really enjoy it!

I am a software developer and deal with all the new goodies that come out and OH do i LOVE new stuff to work with... Thing is, not all are good, much less great.

The forum does LOOK better, but doesn't make use of space as good as the old one.

• Upvote 1

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

It is not a case of "value added" so much as a case of having to update the core forum software. The previous version is obsolete and shortly will be out of support. Since AVSIM pays for the support, there was really no choice in the matter.

Then this discussion is moot! :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

5 hours ago, guenseli said:

Grafic ... deoends on taste.

But technical: slower on my end.

And I'm not able to jump from a forum overview into the last page of a thread. Maybe I'm to stupid or there is no possibility - both cases are not user friendly and very annoying.

Wonder what the reason for this change was as eveything was working very well before ...

Quoting from the banner annoucement --  In short, our forum software was outdated and many applications (including the forum itself) were at risk of losing support and were far behind the curve in security and useability.  We have a list of items we are working on, including: individually changing forums back to discussion forums instead of question/answer forums, navigation improvements, broken links/images, viewing what's new, etc.  Please be patient as we navigate the new upgrade.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

3 minutes ago, pgde said:

Quoting from the banner annoucement --  In short, our forum software was outdated and many applications (including the forum itself) were at risk of losing support and were far behind the curve in security and useability.  We have a list of items we are working on, including: individually changing forums back to discussion forums instead of question/answer forums, navigation improvements, broken links/images, viewing what's new, etc.  Please be patient as we navigate the new upgrade.

thanks for answering!!!

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Would a new GPU allow me to run the forum better?

Also, what Affinity Mask setting do you guys use for the smoothest forum performance?

• Upvote 1

I like now it loads pretty fast but I am missing the recent posts. I can't snoop around as quickly as B4. the emoticon not up yet.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

I could have a lot to say.  But I'll try to keep it brief; don't fix things that aren't broken.  Don't alienate people with too much change at one time.  I'm going to miss the rolling/expanding thread list.  That was very handy.  I would think data costs go up because of that change.  Also, widening the main columns should depend on a percentage bounded by a locked width in a variable margin, not sliding width bounded by a locked margin; it breaks the consistent appearance.  Also, try to cluster controls on the lower right.   Some little things I like a lot.  Overall, nicer whitespace-ing.    

Getting used to it already and things are changing every time I return, someone's very busy in the background.

A little more blue around the place would be nice, still a bit jarring but they will get there.

9 minutes ago, Glynn said:

Getting used to it already and things are changing every time I return, someone's very busy in the background.

THAT is a huge understatement! :)

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

4 hours ago, Manny said:

I notice the "recent posts" and "posts that I am participating is updated" is missing. I hope that comes back.

This is the 1 thing I dont like with the new forums that that part is missing.

From EGFF to YSSY

5 hours ago, irrics said:

Can the ridiculously tall/large header image be turned off somewhere?

Good lord - this is a forum, not a brochure/portfolio site...

Have to agree there.
Way too large. It's taking up almost a quarter of the full screen browser window here.

gb.

• Upvote 1

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.