Sign in to follow this  
JimmyD

New Forum Test

Just curious if the development team had the option of giving the new forum a "dry run" before implementing live? Could have saved a lot of growing pains. (I know from personal experience :-)

If not, then hopefully everyone can understand the position AVSIM is currently in making changes on the fly and to be patient with the process. I can certainly tolerate the idiosyncrasies of the new forum, it's really just flies in the prop-wash...  

This is a great community and helping others is what it's all about (in my opinion) so I will continue to focus on just that and everything else will fall into place eventually.

Enjoy your day.

We did for months, actually.  The only problem is all of the settings we wanted to bring from the dry run could not transfer to a live environment due to limitations.  So we had to script the upgrade process in DEV, find all the problems, fix them, start the upgrade in PROD, then go through our scripts to make all the little changes again in the live environment.  Then of course there are always the unanticipated format issues that didn't rear their ugly heads in QA which we expected to iron out on the fly.

• Upvote 1

Chase,

Thanks for the that, your dedication (and the team's) is greatly appreciated. I certainly understand it's not as easy as it appears from this side of the forums.

To sum it up in a single quote  "No battle plan survives first contact with the enemy"

No malintent implied, simply no matter how well you plan, there's always something unexpected you will encounter ;-)

Keep up the good work.