Sign in to follow this  
usaboy

Blurry and out of focus textures

Good day All,

Firstly, I apologize for not including photos or a video to exhibit my issue (perhaps when I return to my flight deck desk (FDD)  I can capture this anomaly by way of SS or video)  . 

I'm reaching out to all for advice on the possible causes and effects to the ground texture blurries mainly over Europe (from higher elevations FL280-FL390). 

I'm running P3Dv3.4.9 on

• I-4790K with 4GHz was stock but overclocked to 4.4GHz,
  • GPU MSI GTX 980Ti 6 GB,
  • WDD Black 7200 RPM HDD with 4TB,
  • 553 registered scenery including all popluar selection such as Orbx, Flytampa, Flightbeam, Drzewiecki, FSDT, Aerosoft, UK2000, and the list goes on.
  • Aircraft again all pop...PMDG, AS, Majestic, QW Carendo etc
  • GSX

Weather is handled by AS16 w REX4 soft clouds and ASCA (DXT).  Sky textures by ENVTEX

Presently, my P3D with all my addons consumes 680 GB. My in Sim setting are pretty high and closely matches that of Rob's Ainscough recommendations

Here's a typically scenario:

All starts well, as I'm loaded up at FT EHAM eroute from AS Rome LIRF.  After about 45 mins into the flight I notice the ground textures beneath me begin to take on an out of focus appearance.  I look ahead in the distance and I see that the textures are completely hazed out into seemingly one colour.  The only way I know how to resolve this at the moment is to play with the Mesh resolution within the Scenery setting of P3D.  By sliding either upwards to 7 or downward to 2 allows the textures to load back into the sim and sustains them with clarity over the remaining course of the flight.  Oddly enough, this only occurs within this region of Europe.  I have not experienced an occurrence of this nature throughout rest of the virtual world.  

I've therefore have speculated that it is either and Orbx/Vector/OPLC issue or it embedded within P3D.  My reasoning (wrong or right) for making this assumption is due to the fact I changed (upgraded) my CPU and GPU 4 times over the course of the past 3 years to no avail.

So....I'm hoping and coming to you all to shed some light and/or wisdom upon my situation so I may continue a jovial exploration over Europe. :)

Thanks in advance

ugcx_banner.png

I had a similar issue when I started flying the PMDG 747v3.  In my case I was using the incorrect affinity mask.  For whatever reason the 747v3 didn't like affinity mask 84.  I changed it to 85 at the suggestion of someone in another forum and all was well.  If you do not use affinity mask or the PMDG 747v3,  I would suggest deleting your Prepar3d.cfg and let sim rebuild it.  That may do the trick.

Steve Giblin

I had a similar issue a few months ago, and discovered that the WIndows Update service wuauserv (Win 7 at the time) was running in the background and eating up 25% of my CPU capacity.  It was enough to prevent my PC from keeping up on the texture loading, and I saw the blurries creep in over time.  MS made some changes in Oct 2016 that causes this...I've written elsewhere in the forums about this in more detail.  I ended up going into task scheduler and forcing the update service to only run when the computer is idle.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

4 hours ago, w6kd said:

I had a similar issue a few months ago, and discovered that the WIndows Update service wuauserv (Win 7 at the time) was running in the background and eating up 25% of my CPU capacity.  It was enough to prevent my PC from keeping up on the texture loading, and I saw the blurries creep in over time.  MS made some changes in Oct 2016 that causes this...I've written elsewhere in the forums about this in more detail.  I ended up going into task scheduler and forcing the update service to only run when the computer is idle.

Regards

Is this something with just Win 7?  I'm having similar issues and have been trying to fix it but I have Win 10.  

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

31 minutes ago, sfgiants13 said:

Is this something with just Win 7?  I'm having similar issues and have been trying to fix it but I have Win 10.  

Similar issues as in blurries or as in Windows Update chugging in the background?

w/r/t Windows Update in the background, I can't say for sure if Win 10 has the problem.  Windows Update under Win 10 continues to be a pernicious pain in my butt, mostly due to forced and unwanted updates of dysfunctional nVidia video drivers, but I haven't seen the wuauserv problem crop up since I transitioned to Win 10.

Regards

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I too have this problem. Usually when flying something fast--tube liner or corporate jet.

Very annoying and occurs maining in Europe (I have Orbx Europe LC installed along with Vector and World).

I've tweaked and tweaked and have come to think my hardware isn't up to snuff. I have a 4 core processor and often wonder if more cores or one with hyper threading would help.

Sympathy!

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

Similar issues as in blurries or as in Windows Update chugging in the background?

w/r/t Windows Update in the background, I can't say for sure if Win 10 has the problem.  Windows Update under Win 10 continues to be a pernicious pain in my butt, mostly due to forced and unwanted updates of dysfunctional nVidia video drivers, but I haven't seen the wuauserv problem crop up since I transitioned to Win 10.

Regards

Similar issues with blurries.  I was wondering if the update issue is also a problem in Win 10 which would help explain.  I've tried to monitor the CPU useage during testing and sometimes it's high other times it drops.  When it gets to 100% is obviously when I get blurries.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram

12 hours ago, w6kd said:

Regards

Hello all, 

I'm really interested by this thread as I have a high end system and have also noticed blurries. I notice you mention you forced the Task Manager to only run the update when at Idle. Would you be able to explain how to do this? 

Thanks for your tIme, 

Jonathan 

- Jonathan Daley

On 2/25/2017 at 7:52 PM, Jonathan93102 said:

I notice you mention you forced the Task Manager to only run the update when at Idle. Would you be able to explain how to do this? 

No, not task manager.  Task SCHEDULER.  It's found in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools.  Go into Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Update, select the conditions tab, and check "Start the task only if the computer is idle for:" (I use 30 min here) and also the "Stop if the computer ceases to be idle" checkboxes.  Close and reboot.

Regards

I thought I might add to w6kd's advice, once you've got thru Microsoft ->Windows -> Windows Update and click on the conditions tab, you may have to go up into top box and right click on

Automatic App Update (choose properties) then make his suggested adjustments in the properties box, otherwise the options you see are grayed out and appear unchangeable.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 3:37 PM, w6kd said:

No, not task manager.  Task SCHEDULER.  It's found in Control Panel -> Administrative Tools.  Go into Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Windows Update, select the conditions tab, and check "Start the task only if the computer is idle for:" (I use 30 min here) and also the "Stop if the computer ceases to be idle" checkboxes.  Close and reboot.

Regards

23 hours ago, jimcarrel said:

I thought I might add to w6kd's advice, once you've got thru Microsoft ->Windows -> Windows Update and click on the conditions tab, you may have to go up into top box and right click on

Automatic App Update (choose properties) then make his suggested adjustments in the properties box, otherwise the options you see are grayed out and appear unchangeable.

Thanks for the assistance guys, I'm going to try this out.

Thanks for your time,

Jonathan.

- Jonathan Daley

On ‎27‎-‎2‎-‎2017 at 4:37 PM, w6kd said:

Regards

Bob, what about the second setting below "Start the task only ....for"   where it says "Wait till the computer is not idle for ..."  On my pc it says 1 h.

Does that mean that first the pc has to be idle for 1h and then also 10 min extra before starting the Windows Update task ?

Thanks,

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

For what it may be worth, I found something that fixed this for me in FSX. It may be worth trying in P3D too.

Progressively blurry textures are due to something having upset the balance of scheduling - your PC is no longer keeping up with loading the scenery textures when it needs to. I fixed this on my own setup by changing the AffinityMask. BUT setting the AM blindly according to what worked for someone else is pointless - we all know it doesn't work. So if you're going to play with the AM you need to do it with a bit of method.

In my experiments I found the 'performance' tab in Windows Task Manager that shows the usage of each CPU core separately. The only thing I saw at first was that when FSX is running all the cores are running at 100% all the time. But then I noticed that when I hit ESC, which puts up the 'End Flight/Continue Flight' dialog, three of the cores went to sleep but one continued to show a high usage. For some reason this was core 2 (the third of four). Who knows what this means, but one thing it seems to say is that even with FSX asleep my core 2 is consistently pretty busy.

With this in mind I tried setting the AffinityMask to prevent FSX from scheduling anything on this core, since it would evidently encounter a lot of competition if it did so. To this end I tried adding the AffinityMask=11 parameter. That's 1011 in binary, which as I understand it is telling FSX to steer clear of core 2. And what do you know, suddenly I could fly all the same scenarios without any blurred textures. That included weather, and even with the autogen bumped up to maximum. It seemed like a robust solution and I could turn the blurries on and off by removing and re-adding that AM setting.

So perhaps you can identify a 'busy' core in your own setup and try keeping P3D away from it.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

4 hours ago, GSalden said:

Bob, what about the second setting below "Start the task only ....for"   where it says "Wait till the computer is not idle for ..."  On my pc it says 1 h.

Does that mean that first the pc has to be idle for 1h and then also 10 min extra before starting the Windows Update task ?

IIRC, that's the longest the PC will wait in the current session for the computer to become idle.  So if you have "Start the task only if the computer is idle for 10 min" set, and "Wait for idle for 1 hour", then the PC will check every minute for an hour to see if the 10 min idle time criteria has been met, and if so, it will start the task.  If an hour elapses without the task start condition being met, then the task is unscheduled and will not run until after a reboot and the timers are reinitialized (or it's run manually).

Regards

Thanks for the explenation !

Up to now I am updating mamually and this might be easier in usage.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0