Sign in to follow this  
RuiMC

XP pb12 is out

2 minutes ago, RuiMC said:

Here's a temporary sky art fix for XP11: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/36067-better-sky/

It should be noted that while a lot of folks have created "fixes" for XP11, they don't necessarily hold throughout the beta, as they are attempting to modify art datarefs, and as each new beta is released, certain controls are locked and can cause Lua scripts to fail.  Honestly, it is good to wait until after final release to evaluate visual fixes to determine whether there is a need or not.  I've tried some of these Lua scripts for older betas, but they became a problem and I stopped using them.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

5 minutes ago, Jimm said:

Shaking ground is temporary,

Ha ha, you hope. That's been there for as long as I can remember.

I also remember ATC was promised in XP10 for VFR traffic and that never happened (and I really wanted this one). LR always have an element of surprise in what they add as features, but sometimes the important ones are forgotten. I personally would have taken XP10 with better weather over a revised lighting and PBR system anyday

8 minutes ago, Jimm said:

It's pretty easy to spot gamers vs. simmers, and regarding the visuals

You should be careful with that remark (and feel the wrath of angry simmers). Just because some of us don't care so much that the circuit breakers aren't simulated doesn't make us any less of a simmer than anyone else (we all look for something different in a simulation). I personally find pleasure in using a real-world VFR chart and flying routes I'd like to do in real-life but can't because of various reasons.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I also remember ATC was promised in XP10 for VFR traffic and that never happened (and I really wanted this one). LR always have an element of surprise in what they add as features, but sometimes the important ones are forgotten. I personally would have taken XP10 with better weather over a revised lighting and PBR system anyday

Ok, let me clarify (since I always have to these days), the shaking ground is temporary UNTIL you start moving, taxi, and take off.

2 minutes ago, tonywob said:

You should be careful with that remark (and feel the wrath of angry simmers). Just because some of us don't care so much that the circuit breakers aren't simulated doesn't make us any less of a simmer than anyone else (we all look for something different in a simulation). I personally find pleasure in using a real-world VFR chart and flying routes I'd like to do in real-life but can't because of various reasons.

I never mentioned names and I could care less about angry simmers.  They have their fair share of forums on the net to express their disgust and nit pick every single little leaf on a tree in an imaginary world.  If they can't grasp the fundamental reason behind FLIGHT simulation, then I take no pity on them.

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

13 minutes ago, Jimm said:

the shaking ground is temporary UNTIL you start moving, taxi, and take off.

I believe the issue is caused by the layering of textures on-top of each other and floating-point precision with UV mapping. However, to prove my point, I personally couldn't care less about this in the scheme of things, once the aircraft starts moving it goes away and the idea of a flight simulator is to fly. However when flying over a forest and seeing the trees glowing, that bothers me. I also couldn't care less if my Cessna stalls at 50 knots instead of 53 as it says in the book (and I wouldn't use the flight dynamics in the sim as a means of real-world training). A lack of moon phases and stars bothers some people, but just because something is not important to you doesn't mean you should belittle it.

13 minutes ago, Jimm said:

If they can't grasp the fundamental reason behind FLIGHT simulation, then I take no pity on them.

Again, you're missing the point. Flight simulation depends on your point of view on what part of flight you want to simulate. Just because you don't find visuals important doesn't make you any more of a "real" simmer than others who do. Some people want to fly jets under the golden gate bridge, and others want to simulate start-up procedures in a 737 or fly drones, everyone enjoys their own thing.

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, tonywob said:

Yeah, that one (ground vibration) probably isn't getting fixed any time soon. It seems to be buried deep in the sim engine.

The odd thing about it, and maybe one reason it hasn't gotten more attention, is that I've seen the degree of ground shaking vary between user systems. In some videos I've seen, it's really bad... like a mild earthquake under the plane. But on my own system, it's just a tiny vibration that I barely notice unless I look for it. It's so minor that it doesn't cross the threshold where I'm really annoyed at it. But I've seen other cases where it definitely would be annoying. Maybe the fact that it varies on different setups makes it harder to fix, I dunno.

LR always have an element of surprise in what they add as features, but sometimes the important ones are forgotten. I personally would have taken XP10 with better weather over a revised lighting and PBR system anyday

Same here. The revised lighting looks good, and I'm looking forward to some fantastic bare-metal liveries now that we have reflective metal with pbr. But I'd trade that away in a heartbeat for better weather and seasonal terrain.

I know that's just personal bias though, and others might choose better built-in ATC and a thousand planes zipping around the skies (neither of which I especially care about).

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

10 minutes ago, tonywob said:

I believe the issue is caused by the layering of textures on-top of each other and floating-point precision with UV mapping. However, to prove my point, I personally couldn't care less about this in the scheme of things, once the aircraft starts moving it goes away and the idea of a flight simulator is to fly. However when flying over a forest and seeing the trees glowing, that bothers me. I also couldn't care less if my Cessna stalls at 50 knots instead of 53 as it says in the book (and I wouldn't use the flight dynamics in the sim as a means of real-world training). A lack of moon phases and stars bothers some people, but just because something is not important to you doesn't mean you should belittle it.

Again, you're missing the point. Flight simulation depends on your point of view on what part of flight you want to simulate. Just because you don't find visuals important doesn't make you any more of a "real" simmer than others who do. Some people want to fly jets under the golden gate bridge, and others want to simulate start-up procedures in a 737 or fly drones, everyone enjoys their own thing.

Then we can agree to disagree.  I see where you are coming from, but if you hadn't noticed, there are a lot of folks clamoring over visual issues and think it gets fixed immediately (or at least in the next beta) as they too think their issue is more important than someone else's.  From my point of view and from what I've read at other sites, it appears that LR is concentrating more on the base and leaving the other details for later.  Shaking ground, yes, it is annoying, and I never get my hopes up of it getting fixed, but it doesn't affect the startup and movement of the aircraft.  You may be correct in your assumption of what causes it and we'll see if it gets fixed.  I am sure there have been plenty of bug reports filed on it and it's on LR's list of things to do, as is a great many other things, but again, I do believe they have bigger fish to fry and trying to get that out of the way first.

For the record, I never stated that visuals were not important, on the contrary, visuals do add quite a bit to the flight experience, so with that said, i personally don't believe it to be high on anyone's list at LR.  In the meantime though, many great developers (yourself included) have created a wealth of add-ons as an alternative.  I gravitated more towards XP than the other sims because of it's "open source" feel, and taking notice to a great many people out there creating so many options for the user to try out, use, implement into their sim, and on top of that, the quality really shines through.

Btw, has anyone noticed that no sun or moon exists in XP11 right now?  Why would that be, considering they existed in XP10?  My assumption is that it's left for last and for a reason, so there again, is an issue that many have called out LR on, still hasn't shown up, but I suspect it will be there in the end.

6 minutes ago, Jimm said:

Btw, has anyone noticed that no sun or moon exists in XP11 right now?

They do exist, if you turn of HDR or use another GPU then NVIDIA. Frankly I find it strange that Nvidia got hit by this bug, as it is what most people are using.

1 minute ago, Jimm said:

I see where you are coming from, but if you hadn't noticed, there are a lot of folks clamoring over visual issues and think it gets fixed immediately (or at least in the next beta) as they too think their issue is more important than someone else's

Absolutely and this is what likely makes it hard for a small development team to make their customers happy and it's evident reading the comments on this forum alone that some fixes mean absolutely nothing to someone (Anyone who can translate Austin's blog posts will understand), but for others it's a matter of throwing the sim in the trash and using another one (Looking at you jcomm) :). Also, just be aware that graphical issues and flight dynamic issues are dealt with by two different core developers. Austin seems to be harder to convince of FDE issues (and will require hard evidence and a good case), whereas Ben (on the graphics and scenery) will often confirm and agree if the reasons given aren't a user fault. 

22 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

The odd thing about it, and maybe one reason it hasn't gotten more attention, is that I've seen the degree of ground shaking vary between user systems. In some videos I've seen, it's really bad... like a mild earthquake under the plane. But on my own system, it's just a tiny vibration that I barely notice unless I look for it. It's so minor that it doesn't cross the threshold where I'm really annoyed at it

I think anti-aliasing makes a big difference. When I was developing ENHA it was driving me mad because I thought I was doing something wrong. I spent a lot of time slewing around the scenery as I developed it and the shaking was pretty bad that I ended up baking multiple layers together to get rid of it (It didn't). However when I purchased a new computer, I noticed the effect became less when the anti-aliasing was turned up (and the 1070 can run it on max in XP11 without a blink of the eye).

Thank you OP for the heads up. I've not started XP11 for a few days, so its nice to have something for the weekend ;)

Of all the bugs XP has the ground shaking is one of the less annoying, and of all the visual elements that need correcting I would put this fairly low on the list myself, but, It has to be said, they seem to find the time to model a bobblehead Austin, which must have taken a few hours, but leave glaring issues untouched across major revisions. But luckily its only a game and therefore not a matter of life or death.

Off to have fly and feel all of those changes :)

• Upvote 1

I don't know if it is the same, but i have this massive texture flickering in most buildings. I have just realized that they get fixed as soon as i disable xEnviro.

Nope it was just a coincidence, it is still there

5 minutes ago, Novation said:

It has to be said, they seem to find the time to model a bobblehead Austin, which must have taken a few hours, but leave glaring issues untouched across major revisions

+1 I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this (As well as the pilot flying the Cirrus Jet).

Not seen the flickering problem yet. Is it just default scenery?

Dont update to Beta12 is messing up all the payware aircraft engines - they wont start up 

Rich Sennett

I really expect the sky banding, missing moon/stars and glowing trees to be resolved at Steam release. It would be very bad for X-Plane if they're not.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]