Sign in to follow this  
Ted Striker

"Unread Content" section

I found the button that took me to the Unread Content and was happy to see all the options there. However I found two issues:

1. After getting it configured the way I had it in the old forums I found that when I logged in at a later time my settings were not saved and I had to set them all again. Can these settings be saved in your user profile as they were with the old forum software?

2. After I had the above mentioned settings configured the way I liked them, basically viewing all the most recent topics in the last 24 hours, I found that the "condensed" viewing option would not work. It does work with the default settings.

I'm sure you've got your hands full with this new software rollout. This is just a suggestion for the "to look into" list when you have the time.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Hi Ted,

The various options are not saved.  You use the various options to view what you want to view at the time you click on unread content.  Once you are completed with reading everything, you can mark it all as read or move on to a forum or the front page or leave AVSIM and surf the Internet.  When you come back, you click on unread contect and then set things up to what material you want to look at.  Heck, you could have marked all of the topics read and came back 2 hours later and there's only 2 topics and maybe some posts.  So you have to configure each time. 

I hope this answers your question.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

I appreciate the feedback. My point was that with the old forum software those settings could be saved from session to session. I had my settings in the old forums such that when I logged on I would be shown all the new posts from the previous 24 hours. I would log on in the morning with my first cup of coffee, go to the forums, and would be quickly brought up to date with the latest news, whining, speculations, and debates about what "you name it" was better and when P3Dv4 was going to released. By the time I finished my coffee I was awake, fully informed on the latest FS scuttlebutt, and ready to get to work. I'm an old fart and I had a good routine going.

Now I have to think and adjust settings every morning before I've had my first cup of Joe. I'm a poor thing aren't I?

Hey, just having a little fun here. If the settings can be saved, this old fart would appreciate it. If the new forum software won't allow it, well I guess that's the price of progress. Just trying to point it out the change in a humorous manner.

On a positive note the "condensed viewing" function seems to be working for me now.

One other thing.....very nice wagon your got there,

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Try saving the settings as a "Bookmark" in your browser, once you have the view you want.

That works for me.

Bert

Thanks Bert, I will try that. How do you know all the things that you do?

Ted

Hi Ted,

Bert seems to have a good solution.  Personally I'm just getting familiar with the site and what it has to offer.  I think things can be adjusted later.  Right now our goal is to get the site up and running with as many functions as possible.  The site is still updating in the background but that is posts, images, etc., all being added to the new site.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hi Jim,

I realize that the staff and members are experiencing the pains of a new software install. I'm not complaining, just trying to provide some feedback in hopefully a humorous manner. I'll try Bert's suggestion. Worst scenario is I'll need an extra cup of coffee in the morning before I get on Avsim! .......hey, where are the emoticons!!!..........oh, there they are on top now........uhhhh no....doesn't look like those are working yet. Let's do it the old way......... :) LOL.

Ted

• Upvote 1

Worked perfect Bert. Thank You.

Ted

3 hours ago, Ted Striker said:

Thanks Bert, I will try that. How do you know all the things that you do?

Ted

It is mostly Trial and Error..  :-)

Bert

5 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

It is mostly Trial and Error..  :-)

Bert,  when I make changes to the various filters in the content type/ time/ etc, nothing changes in the shown content below. Have you got a solution? Have I missed something obvious?

7 hours ago, ganter said:

Bert,  when I make changes to the various filters in the content type/ time/ etc, nothing changes in the shown content below. Have you got a solution? Have I missed something obvious?

Sorry, no idea..

Bert

7 hours ago, ganter said:

After making changes, you will need to refresh the page.  Just click on the F5 button.

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks Jim. I'll give that a go - although I think I did already. Using Safari here on Mac OSX - old!