Sign in to follow this  
simpaty

System Hardware update advice needed

Dear Community,

I am considering an HW update for my desktop. Today I am running P3D with ORBX, AS16, GSX, and REX airport HD textures and a few addon airliners as well.

I am running the simulator almost at max settings (only textures are pulled back to 1024 to aovid too many VAS usage issues).

My system is the following:

CPU i7 4790 running at 4.5 Ghz

GeForce GTX780

16 GB RAM 1866 Mhz

Asus Z97M-plus MOBO

What would be the quickest win in terms of FPS for P3D. An update of Graphic card or CPU? Which graphic card would you suggest to have some noticeable improvements without spending a fortune (middle-range, I'm looking into the 300 Eur budget, not more)?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Suggest you post in the Hardware forum.

Lots of discussion on that exact topic.

Bert

Thanks for moving the post, sorry for misplacing it!

I would appreciate some expert advice from the community on this :)

Thanks!

There is nothing available within your budget that will noticeably improve P3D performance with that system.  That being said, upgrading a 1920x1080 monitor to a 2560x1440 monitor will noticeably enhance the visual experience, considering if you are only using a single HD res monitor.  Also, this RAM upgrade may help a tiny bit (or maybe not):https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

• Upvote 1

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

My guess is that there are no quick wins, other than at some time replacing your system.

Your configuration looks well balanced to me and I would suggest managing your settings, as you have been, until you are ready to spend 1500 Euro, not 300..

• Upvote 1

Bert

Hey guys,

I worked rather hard in the past few weeks, and my budget just got higher :) This is the upgrade I am thinking about:

Current SYSTEM:

CPU i7 4790k running at 4.5 Ghz
GeForce GTX780
16 GB RAM 1866 Mhz
Asus Z97M-plus MOBO

NEW System:

CPU i7 7700k
Nvidia 1080 GTX 8GB
MOBO Asus PRIME B250-PLUS
RAM Corsair Cmu32gx4 m4 C3200 C16b Vengeance 32 Go (4 x 8 Go) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0

I already have a good SSD (Samsung 840) which I am not going to change.
What do you guys think, will I gain a lot in performances or it's not worth the 1300 Euros I need to spend on this.

Thanks a lot!

That is a budget motherboard... go for something better.

32 GB RAM is overkill, stay with 16.

Not sure how much you would gain overall - for 1300+ euro.. but your call.

Bert

Ok, what mobo would you suggest (not willing to spend more than 150 eur on it). Is there a better chipset you would reccomend?

thanks!

What Bert said.  You want a Z270 chipset board, I'd be going for https://www.overclockers.co.uk/gigabyte-ga-z270-gaming-k3-intel-z270-socket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-54p-gi.html as I prefer Gigabyte boards.

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427