Lude2Envy

WX Advantage Radar

Does anyone know where I can find info on implementing the WX Advantage Radar into the CS VC's for the 757/767/727/707/L1011? Thanks. 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The 707 and 727 is possible I believe. 757/767 isn't because the radar is hard coded into the display, no separate gauge. Don't know about the L1011 as I don't own it.

This is just a theory, I don't know if it'll trigger the anti-copy protection as editing gauges sometimes does,

What you do, find the name of the guage of what you want to switch, this can normally be found by examining the gauge in the panel.cfg of a plane where it already is.

Once you have the gauge name, copy it, ctrl+c is a shortcut I'll use the 707 as an example.

Go to fsx root/simobjects/airplanes/cs_b707-300/panel then open panel.cfg in a text editor, I use notepad++

press ctrl+f

then type in "wx" without quotes press enter until you reach the reference under VCockpit14.

Under VCockpit14 delete the gauge name "Captain_Sim.x707.WXR!wr_display" and paste in  the gauge name you found earlier. Ctrl+v is a shortcut. Should be the last mention of the phrase "wx"

Ctrl+s to save it. If you're opening it in wordpad or notepad you may need to move the file to your desktop if fsx is located in your programfiles.

Then you should be done, if there's no landing gear it means that the copy-protection system was triggered. This sometimes happens when editing gauges since Captain Sim's copy-protection is handled inside the gauge files. If this happens there's no way to fix it. Other than putting the old gauge back.

As for the 757/767 you can't do this unless you had the project files used in creating the plane. Which you obviously don't. The reason you can do it on the 727/707 is because the radar is modelled outside the main display. This will replace the entire gauge. I don't have WX Advantage Radar so I can't test this, just explaining how replacing gauges work.

You can't add a gauge the the VC because gauges are planted into the aircraft in a file when making the plane. You can however add them to the 2d cockpit by just adding a new line under the main cockpit view with the XY coordinates. If you do this I suggest using FSPanelStudio. I don't know how this would be done in the L1011. However, if the radar is separate from the main display then it should be possible with the same method.

Edit: This should also be possible with the 737 if you want. Actually any plane with a separate radar. Possibly some in the main display if it isn't hard coded.

Thanks for the reply. What if there is no weather radar being replaced? Can you implement it in an empty spot on the center console? The REX installer installs the gauge as a 2D popup. I just wanted to implement it into the VC so it's more realistic - besides I like the VC better than 2D panels. I also wanted to replace the L-1011 INS' with the freeware Delco ones - the same ones that come with the Concorde X. 

11 hours ago, Lude2Envy said:

Thanks for the reply. What if there is no weather radar being replaced? Can you implement it in an empty spot on the center console? The REX installer installs the gauge as a 2D popup. I just wanted to implement it into the VC so it's more realistic - besides I like the VC better than 2D panels. I also wanted to replace the L-1011 INS' with the freeware Delco ones - the same ones that come with the Concorde X. 

Sorry for this long post, it's a lot of explaining.

In the VC, no. You can replace other gauges though. You can't just add one. I'll break it down for you.

When creating a FS plane, you use DLL files, and other files such as cabs and stuff. There are certain files that handle certain things. I can't remember which one does gauges as it's been a while since I messed around with it, I believe it's one of the DLL files. DLL files are compiled as far as I know. I don't know if there's a way to decompile them. Point is, when CS created the aircraft they used one of these files when adding gauges to the VC.

The reason Rex was able to add a 2D popup is because those are handled directly from the panel.cfg file. For example, FllightDeck Sound FX Panel can be added to any aircraft by adding the necessary entry into the panel.cfg file. These are handled in the entries labeled [Window00] for example. Those are 2d popup gauges.

VC however  does have entries in the panel.cfg but they are added when modelling the aircraft. Most of the high quality addons have those 3d modelled. The difference is is that they used some coding to make them work. I'll give an example. FSX is a program, to make a program there's various programming languages such as C++. You do what programmers call "coding" in these languages. It essentially means writing the program.

When you go to the VCockpit entries you can see that it has $ infront of the backhground. The internals of FS tell the plane that that gauge is a VC gauge and to load this reference in the coded files. Which is why you need the project files that have all the model data. A few freeware addon developers release their project files. Very few.

Payware won't do this. For this reason, piracy. People could figure out the algorithms that make the anti copy system work and disable it.

Put simply, you, the end user, can replace gauges in the VC but not add new ones.

Believe me, there's plenty of planes I'd love to add a custom gauge too. Like the Wilco airbus's, I'd love to add MAP! from Feelthere in the cabin, but can't since there's no gauge to replace.

As for the L1011 INS, it should be the same method except instead of WX entry you replace INS. However, this can cause problems. If the L1011 is programmed to use data from the custom INS that CS made, then if you replace it the program won't know to get data from that gauge. I ran into a similar problem trying to add an FMC to the 737. CS's newer addons seem to have a custom autopilot. Haven't found any info on that. I'm not 100% because I don't have the L1011. I thought about getting it last month but decided against it since I'd probably never fly it.

One last thing, I honestly don't know how replacing a 3d gauge with a 2d gauge will look. I've never done it. I just learned how to do this from research and trial and error.

Sorry I can't be much help, but it's just not possible with the way FS is built. Honestly CaptainSim's radars leave much to be desired. They use the a radar they built which has its limits. I don't think they've updated their custom radar in a while. Don't know on the L1011 but the 757/767/777 use the basically the same radar.

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I've done some of this way back in FS8 or FS9 (can't remember), but like you said - it was mostly 2D panels back in those days. I only buy CS products when they have those $9.99 sales because they aren't very good to begin with, and it gives me something else to fly from time to time. REX had a sale on their weather radar so I bought it for my CS fleet. I'll see what I can do. Thanks again. 

If there is a separate WX gauge in the VC section of the panel.cfg file, if you keep the same dimensions and location, you may be able to substitute the new one for the old one in the VC.  You will need to look at the SDK to see which parameters affect size and location.  VC panels are not like 2D panels in that you can't just paste a new gauge anywhere.  But if you place the new gauge in the same location as the old gauge, there will be a "hole" in the panel where it will show up.

Be sure to back up your panel.cfg file before making any changes.  Also, you can keep the info for the original gauge in the panel.cfg file by placing "//" in front of it instead of deleting it. 

Example:

//Gauge12=[NAME OF OLD GAUGE]

Gauge12=[NAME OF NEW GAUGE]

Mike

Just looked at the 707 panel.cfg file.  There are five numbers after the wx gauge name in VC14.  You need to place a comma after the name of the new gauge and then copy those five numbers.

Also looked at the 767-300 panel.cfg.  In VCockpit03 there are two gauges w/ wx in them.  Possibly you can get yours working by substituting your wx gauge for one of these.  Don't have  time to look at other CS aircraft I have.  You will need to experiment.

Edited by Mike777
additional information

13 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

If there is a separate WX gauge in the VC section of the panel.cfg file, if you keep the same dimensions and location, you may be able to substitute the new one for the old one in the VC.  You will need to look at the SDK to see which parameters affect size and location.  VC panels are not like 2D panels in that you can't just paste a new gauge anywhere.  But if you place the new gauge in the same location as the old gauge, there will be a "hole" in the panel where it will show up.

Be sure to back up your panel.cfg file before making any changes.  Also, you can keep the info for the original gauge in the panel.cfg file by placing "//" in front of it instead of deleting it. 

Example:

//Gauge12=[NAME OF OLD GAUGE]

Gauge12=[NAME OF NEW GAUGE]

Mike

Just looked at the 707 panel.cfg file.  There are five numbers after the wx gauge name in VC14.  You need to place a comma after the name of the new gauge and then copy those five numbers.

Also looked at the 767-300 panel.cfg.  In VCockpit03 there are two gauges w/ wx in them.  Possibly you can get yours working by substituting your wx gauge for one of these.  Don't have  time to look at other CS aircraft I have.  You will need to experiment.

Awesome! Thanks man. 

You're welcome!

BTW that's four numbers after the gauge name.  The first two I believe place the gauge on the panel X,Y, the second two size the gauge.

Mike

On 3/1/2017 at 2:29 PM, Mike777 said:

You're welcome!

BTW that's four numbers after the gauge name.  The first two I believe place the gauge on the panel X,Y, the second two size the gauge.

Mike

So I picked up the Milviz 737-200 today which has native support for the WX Advantage Radar. I've been comparing the panel.cfg files for the 737 and CS L-1011. I can't get the WX Advantage Radar to show up in the VC on top of the CS radar. I'll keep trying. 

35 minutes ago, Lude2Envy said:

So I picked up the Milviz 737-200 today which has native support for the WX Advantage Radar. I've been comparing the panel.cfg files for the 737 and CS L-1011. I can't get the WX Advantage Radar to show up in the VC on top of the CS radar. I'll keep trying. 

I am not familiar with the Milviz 737 or the CS L-1011or the Wx Advantage Radar, so I'm just speaking generally.  If you can find the original wx radar gauge in the CS L-1011 panel cfg,,comment out the line (using //), add in an entry for the Wx Advantage gauge from  the Milviz but make sure you use the four numbers on the original L-1011 gauge entry after the new gauge entry.  That should place the new gauge where the old one was, and size it the same as well.

Mike