Sign in to follow this  
jjjallen

Kaby Lake Delid Results

It was almost trivial to delid my Kaby maybe because it was my 3rd and I was blown away by the junky thermal paste on my die..  The actual delid took about 5 minutes but the cleaning and re-install added about 15 minutes.  The result was very nice 20+c drop at 99% load @ 4900ghz .  My build was cruzin in the 70's under full load before the delid I was hitting 100c.

Cheers

jjs

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

I want to hear the story of why you are on your third Kaby Lake!

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

On 2/24/2017 at 8:13 PM, Ted Striker said:

I want to hear the story of why you are on your third Kaby Lake!

Ted

Just to look at his trashcan: two broken 7700K cpus... Just kidding.

I'm thinking about to delid my 7700K too, once I'm in the right mood at the right time. Mine runs 5GHz at around 90 +/-5C under full load. Not nice at all but kind of stable so I still haven done the delid thing yet 

I saw a youtube video on using vise to delid. It seems very simple and I have a vise. Maybe I should give this method a try.

7950X3D / 32GB / RTX4090 / HP Reverb G2 / Win11

7 hours ago, FlyIce said:

I saw a youtube video on using vise to delid. It seems very simple and I have a vise. Maybe I should give this method a try.

No!!! Don't use the vice method for Skylake or Kaby Lake. I understand the PCB is a bit thicker with Kaby but still avoid.

Wait for the new Delid DieMate 2 to arrive. Makes the process VERY easy an relatively safe. Or use the old version of the DieMate.

If you have steady hands and patience the razor method still works fine.  I've delidded one Skylake and one Kaby Lake CPU this way (in addition to 6 prior Haswell and Ivy Bridge chips).

Don't recommend the vice.  I just use a couple of clamps with rubber feet to make a square to keep the chip from sliding on the corner of a counter-top and slap down a couple pieces of thick gorilla duck tape to cushion the bottom of the circuit board.  Don't put any tape on the unit.

Work the corners first (takes about 2 minutes for all four) then the sides which will go in about 2 more minutes.  Don't clean the circuit board (except if you got paste all over then use 91% alchohol with a cotton swap)  Clean the spreader with the alky and polish it up with a scrub pad (inside and out) so the paste can get a better cooling contact.  Use your grey matter and don't clamp, scape or do anything directly to the circuit board other than pop the heat spreader off.  A single edge blade is your only tool.

Really it is about a 30 minute job from cracking the case to power on.

Regards

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

30 minutes?  Jeez, I only needed 5 back in the Ivy Bridge/Haswell days.  Today I'm a lot more careful because of the thin package but still only 10 minutes maybe.

My 6 month old kitten did mine with his razor sharp claws in one swipe. I kid you not. He's like a baby wolverine.

11 hours ago, martin-w said:

My 6 month old kitten did mine with his razor sharp claws in one swipe. I kid you not. He's like a baby wolverine.

I would probably use the vise in that case.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

Oh and this build has great throughput - the high FPS counter in FSX has pegged 300.  The highest on the IVY was about 228.

Cheers

jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz

12 hours ago, jjjallen said:

I would probably use the vise in that case.

Cheers

jja

But he's very precise.

i delidded my 7700k as well and can run at 5ghz now with a max temp of 65c under stress testing, before it was hitting 85c

• Upvote 1