Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Searching for a new forum

Sorry for the rant but a bit frustrated with this new forum.

Why have this split screen with a large area on the right dedicated to everything I am not looking for and that takes up half the posting window making my screenshots and signature smaller than ever? Also look to the left and why is that area so large,,all it does is display my name and avatar (which is almost as big as my screenshots now).

On top of it all,, it is complicated and very slow (starting to look and act like Photobucket). So maybe back to Flightsim.com which is  simple, fast and it works. 

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Er... in what way do you think this post will help anyone...? If you want to leave Avsim, just leave. Otherwise, be a bit more patience and also a bit more grateful for everything Avsim has given us over the past few decades and which Avsim is doing right now to secure the future of this community. For free. I don't think that threatening to leave Avsim for Flightsim.com will make the Avsim staff reinstall the old (and utterly outdated) forum software. Luckily. Just hold on for a few more days: Avsim is still working hard on finishing the update and before you know it you will have gotten used to the new and improved situation. And if not, enjoy Flightsim.com.

Hi Paul,

I'd give it them a couple of weeks to get the features normalized.  They have communicated that they are adding features back as soon as they can. It took them time to get the features in the old software.  They'll get it done.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I agree about the formatting and wasted space. The signal to noise ratio isn't good with this design, considering the "signal" that I prioritize here is the post content and poster ID. Everything else is secondary.

If I were redesigning the site, I'd reduce the width of the right-hand column by reducing the image size for Tom's photo and the Avsim logo, letting the text collapse more. The huge amount of wasted space on the left-side column could be reduced by down-sizing the "Donor" wings image, which seems to be the main culprit in expanding that column width.

Remember, we all come here for the ever-changing content, not the static wrapper around that content. I do give the Avsim design major props for a clean color scheme though. It's easy on the eyes, which is more than I can say for certain other sites.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Ridiculous behaviour you would expect from a 14 year old stamping feet and saying this sucks. Feel free to go somewhere else if this has that much an impact in your world  

Nothing wrong with upgrades as things move forward, that is a fact of life. AVSIM has explained the reasons which are reasonable and the site is working fine as they continue to emplemant the updates

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

Paul, I felt like you yesterday but already I can see a lot of hard work is going on behind the scenes to array the new format so that functionally it operates in a similar vane to the old one. I'm also getting to like it. I'm certainly not one for "Change for changes sake" but the Avsim staff have said that this HAD to be done - I can only assume the new back office upgrades - necessary to keep the forum running efficiently and secure - negate the ability to support the old forum HTML/ Coding, etc.

I enjoy your posts and would be sorry to see you go.

Besides, they don't know as much on flightsim.com as we do here and they have bad breath.

Lol it is interesting to see members that I thought were great guys posting about me acting like a like a three year old. You just showed your immaturity as well.

It gets worse,,now I cannot even posts a screenshot here. I know it is new and it will take time but some things like the layout will not change

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

8 hours ago, warbirds said:

Sorry for the rant but a bit frustrated with this new forum.

Why have this split screen with a large area on the right dedicated to everything I am not looking for and that takes up half the posting window making my screenshots and signature smaller than ever? Also look to the left and why is that area so large,,all it does is display my name and avatar (which is almost as big as my screenshots now).

On top of it all,, it is complicated and very slow (starting to look and act like Photobucket). So maybe back to Flightsim.com which is  simple, fast and it works. 

Hi Paul,

Have a look there :

It's more better for me...Hope this help and btw please continue to do good work with your liveries and so...;-)

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

2 hours ago, warbirds said:

It gets worse,,now I cannot even posts a screenshot here. I know it is new and it will take time but some things like the layout will not change

Yes, it appears that the "Media" options have been reduced to only "Insert other media/Insert existing attachment", which isn't terribly usefull! post-118906-0-30347300-1407263951.gif

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

4 minutes ago, Boomer said:

Give it time, folks.

The odd part is that it was working correctly yesterday, but at the moment it is 'broken'... :tw_cold_sweat:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hey, it's not broken - it's just in transition!

We old boys know you're doing everything you can.