Sign in to follow this  
perryfincher

Video Cards / VAAS

My current video card is:

Radeon HD 5750

PCI Express X16 2.0

1GB GDDR5 Memory.

When I fly on FS, the VAAS or OOMs meter from FSUIPC shows less than 2 GB mostly around 1.4GB.

The other day, I was flying the original PMDG 744 and had strange sounds that seem to come from the video card as if it was about to lock up.

My question is, if I upgrade my video card to 4-8 GB, will this help in reducing VAAS and/or OOMs issues?

Thanks

57 minutes ago, perryfincher said:

will this help in reducing VAAS and/or OOMs issues?

No. Please have a look at the Intro Manual as it goes into pretty detailed information on VAS. VAS is entirely dependent on FSX being a 32bit program. It has nothing to do with anything else*.

*Your OS has a little to do with it, but still. There really isn't much you can do other than use a 64 bit OS.

Kyle Rodgers

I agree with Kyle; however, the minimum VRAM recommendation is 1GB.  It is possible that if the GPU needs more it will get it from system RAM and use some of the applications allocation of VAS. But in most cases a larger VRAM has no impact on virtual memory allocation.

Dan Downs KCRP

Sadly true... I suffered an OOM yesterday with 16GB system RAM and an 8GB video card. If FSX / P3D can only access 4GB, then anything more does not help anything.

8 hours ago, downscc said:

I agree with Kyle; however, the minimum VRAM recommendation is 1GB.  It is possible that if the GPU needs more it will get it from system RAM and use some of the applications allocation of VAS. But in most cases a larger VRAM has no impact on virtual memory allocation.

VAS isn't directly related to system RAM - it's cumulative across all forms of memory the application is allocating for. Video, system, etc. all play into it. It's whatever the application is using, so yeah, just having a larger amount of VRAM won't hurt anything, it's actual allocation by the sim that will.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com