Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Throttle HOLD does NOT hold N1 but increases in time

Hi, when the speed mode goes into HOLD at 70 kts during takeoff, the N1 thrust does not remain at the selected value but slightly and constantly increases, until THRUST REF kicks in after lift off. This is NOT due to physical throttle calibration, because it also happens if I don't use any hardware throttle, only keyboard. It's an issue to be looked into. Thanks.

James Goggi

Hi,

I don't think this is a bug. Autothrottle in HOLD mode only means that "the thrust lever autothrottle servos are inhibited. The pilot can set the thrust levers manually" (cf. FCOM page 4.20.4).

Therefore the autothrottle no longer regulates the thrust.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

Of course, but if I DON'T touch the throttle at all, N1 should NOT change (in this case constantly increase, without stopping, as if I was slowly and constantly pushing the lever forward) after HOLD mode engages.This happens always, I tried 100 times, so it's clearly a bug. Further, same happened in the 777 and was fixed.

James Goggi

There is a interesting message thread on the PPRuNe.org website (Tech Log section) on the behaviour of the RB211's thrust during HOLD. Even though the A/T is inactive, the FAFC (RB211 EEC) varies the thrust according to airspeed and altitude and expected TAT variation.  (i.e. apparently not actual TAT in the air, per se, but based on TAT at thrust hold, and interpolated from there.... I think). 

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/591278-747-400-rb211-thrust-control-thrust-hold-65kts.html

Good luck making sense of it ;)

Cheers

JHW

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

I  notice the same  behavior. In both the RRs and GEs (haven't flown a PW livery yet), the N1 begins to slowly increase on the TO roll after passing about 70kts, and continues slowly creeping up until after TO and the A/T kicks back in

Note that some folks are getting a thrust decrease.

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Thanks. So what do the developers say about this issue? I would like to highlight once again that this is not related to throttle calibration/FSUIPC, because it happens with the keyboard as well. 

EDIT: take a look here:

The takeoff N1 is 97.4 and at lift off the N1 is still 97.4, so the N1 creeping forward is an issue.

James Goggi

Based on basic turbine engine theory the faster you get, the more thrust your engines produce with the same thrust lever position - unless some computer interferes with it.

I can confirm the thrust increasing in PMDGs CF-6 engines. I haven't flown other liveries yet.

Best someone raises a ticket about it with PMDG to have the developers look into it.

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

See this video:

Takeoff N1 increases from 91.4 when HOLD engages, to 93.6 when THR REF engages at 400 ft...

James Goggi

Just watched your video. I haven't observed that on my rig.

Edited by Budbud

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Sorry, typo "haven't".
Post edited.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Try again ,please and look at N1 between HOLD and THR REF at takeoff...

James Goggi

I will do two flights tonight with the 744F GE variant and will monitor closely the N1 during takeoff. I'll post the result here after.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg