Sign in to follow this  
wyodeacon

Different CTD

Dell XPS 8910-Win 10 Home-16GB Ram-FSX Deluxe with Acceleration.

I have been searching but can't find a problem like mine.  When I load FSX for the first time and try to do anything (select different airplane, etc.) I get a fatal error msg and CTD.  If I reload and select SETTINGS/Scenery, then click ok I get another fatal error and CTD.  If I keep doing this 3-4 times, then FSX works perfectly.  I know there's a way to see what is causing the error but I can't remember how to do it.  Apparently something isn't loading into memory until the error happens several times?  Any help would be appreciated.

Page 7 of the AVSIM CTD Guide provides guidance for submitting an AppCrashView Report or checking your EventViewer.  There are some commercial aircraft that you cannot select when FSX is fully loaded.  If you have any tweaks in your FSX.cfg any one of them could be causing the issues.  This is why we recommend you rename or delete your FSX.cfg, restart FSX and see if this will fix the problem (remember to place the highmemfix=1 entry back into the Graphics section of your config if you decide to keep it).  Most crashes, freezes are fixed by rebuilding your fsx.cfg as members sometimes tweak it too much and your computer can no longer handle the amount of resources being placed on your system.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for responding Jim.  I renamed my fsx.cfg file and reloaded the game.  The problem has now changed just a bit in that it now will just close without any error msg.  I find that I can't reload because it says FSX is still running and I have to open my task manager and find it in background processes which I can then close.  I called up the Event Viewer and see that the faulting module is ntdll.dll.  After searching for quite some time (both AVSIM and the net) There are several "fixes" listed but none of them work.  I even re-installed my NVIDIA updates as many of the sites I read point to Graphics problems.  I'm probably looking at a complete re-install of FSX but I don't want to do it until I just have to because of many large add-on programs such as FTX Global, Global Vector, and a host of Sceneries.  I'm not sure which way to go right now but I wanted to update you as to what I have found.  If you have any suggestions that I could try I'm anxious to hear them as I have run out of ideas.

PS..The only ntdll.dll error fixes I could find on AVSIM by searching was one that dealt with P3D.

The ntdll.dll error happens frequently.  High settings is usually the culprit.  I have a list of fixes in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  It cannot be a bad overclock since your system cannot be overclocked as you have the locked processor and Dell doesn't like people messing with the inside of their cases.  As indicated in the list of fixes, it could also be MyTraffic6 if you have the military aircraft enabled.  What I can be confident in is the fact it is not FSX as FSX works perfectly w/o addons and with max settings.  No possibilities of crashes.  Adding add-ons and still having max settings would cause a CTD.  Add-ons are the problem as well as if you employed a tweak like the BufferPool or the AffinityMask that was not properly setup.  All of these are assumptions as we have no idea what your setup is like.  Everyone has different setups.  This is why I came up with the AVSIM CTD Guide, to let you know on page 10 how to fix all crashes.  It tells you exactly how to investigate and find the problem.  I even posted images so those who are not very familiar with computers can see what to do. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

ok.  I finally downloaded your AVSIM CTD Guide.  (I couldn't find it until finally seeing it in your signature. :(  I'm just a little slow I'm afraid.)  I did have rather high settings as per the FTX Global recommendations, so I have turned them down some and will try this for a while.  I'll let you know.

Thanks again for your help.  I'm sure you get kind of tired  going through the same things over and over but you have been very patient.

Gary

Well, so far everything is good.  I'll keep checking but quite possibly that fixed it.  My graphics settings were just too high. I hope maybe this will help others down the road.

Glad you found the fix.  High FSX or display driver settings cause all kinds of problems when you have add-ons. 

Submit News to AVSIM

UPDATE - Well, after a couple of days my ctd problem came back so I uninstalled everything and started over.  After installing Global Vector, the problem returned so I uninstalled it and continued on with all my other sceneries.  Now after running for about 4 days my FSX loads faster and I have no issues with any ctd at all.  So, it looks like Vector was my problem all along.  I'm leaving it uninstalled and working great.