Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

Black rectangles preceding texture loading of lights

I'm using a brand new NVidia GEForce 1060 Gigabyte video card, which is about as good as anything available on the market. As you would expect, I'm getting fabulous results from it but I am having one odd problem. It doesn't happen all the time but occasionally approach lights at airports beyond visual distance show up as black rectangles or very occasionally as triangles. Once I get closer they resolve into normal light textures. It also happens (less often) with other light effects such as navigation lights and strobes, though that only seems to happen with the plane I'm flying and not with AI.

Can anybody help me out?
Ian

ps. It only happens in FSX-SE - not FS9

I seems like slow loading of the light textures.  I get them most of the time.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Yeah Charlie - that is what's happening. But I'm hoping for a fix. My videocard and PC should be able to handle anything FSX throws at them so thought there might be a tweak that would prevent it from happening.

If you don't like black squares in the distance when airport approaches for the lights and other black boxes before textures load, in the DX9, try this.

-------------------------

"Go to the ShadersHLSL folder in your ROOT Flight Simulator X directory, and locate a folder called Common, inside that folder you will find a file called Common.fhx (make a backup of that file so you keep the original) and change the following line:

CODE
dword State_TextureWrap : STATE_TEXTUREWRAP = D3DTADDRESS_WRAP;

to look like this:

CODE
dword State_TextureWrap : STATE_TEXTUREWRAP = 0;

after doing the change, you need to DELETE the shader cache located in C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX (just delete the folder called shaders) and then restart FSX. you'll never have a corrupted texture problem ever again... also, MAKE SURE you don't use the 'Bloom' option inside FSX, if you 'use' Bloom in FSX you don't need the above FIX, because bloom changes render states appropriately."
-----------------------------
It worked for me like a charm when I was using DX9.
H L

mike

• Upvote 2

Sim,PC, monitor,prescription glasses, chair.

Mike, this is interesting.. what, if anything is lost by making this change?

I tried it, and I could see no ill effects..:huh:

• Upvote 1

Bert

Thanks Mike. (And Bert for confirming that it doesn't seem to have any unwanted side-effects)... I will give it a try in a few minutes and will post when I have some feedback.....

This trick works well, with no ill effects but only in DX9

It does not work in DX10

There is some very minor occasional flash of a square in DX10 , I have not found any way to eliminate that yet.

Happy landings

mike

• Upvote 1

Worked like a charm. The only difference is that FSX-SE doesn't have the folder "Shaders" --- but it doesn't seem to matter. So far no rectangles and no other issues. Thanks mate!!!! :-)

So now I'll push my luck, seeing as you clearly are very knowledgeable about the inner workings of FSX. I have managed to get rid of all the annoying on-screen message except one - "Exit open" -- "Exit closed"... Is there any way of getting rid of it? I don't really need a stupid green banner scrolling across the screen telling me something I already know... :-)

1 hour ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

"Exit open" -- "Exit closed"... Is there any way of getting rid of it? I don't really need a stupid green banner scrolling across the screen telling me something I already know... :-)

mike

• Upvote 1

Mike - you are my new hero! IT WORKED!!! I was pretty nervous using a "hacker" tool to decompile and modify a .dll file but nothing caught fire, everything loaded normally and ---- ta da ---- annoying "exit" messages no longer appear...

So now I only have two more questions:

1. What is the meaning of life? (My personal answer is "so we can fly")

2. Why do women expect us to be mind-readers? Why can't they just tell us what they want us to do/say/not say/not do????

LOL --- thanks so much mate. It's silly how a little thing like a brief message appearing on the screen can be so annoying, but it was. Now it's gone!!!!!

Cheers

Ian

6 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

Mike - you are my new hero! IT WORKED!!! I was pretty nervous using a "hacker" tool to decompile and modify a .dll file but nothing caught fire, everything loaded normally and ---- ta da ---- annoying "exit" messages no longer appear...

So now I only have two more questions:

1. What is the meaning of life? (My personal answer is "so we can fly")

2. Why do women expect us to be mind-readers? Why can't they just tell us what they want us to do/say/not say/not do????

LOL --- thanks so much mate. It's silly how a little thing like a brief message appearing on the screen can be so annoying, but it was. Now it's gone!!!!!

Cheers

Ian

The meaning of life was answered in the book and movie, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

As for the question about women, this is the unanswerable question.

• Upvote 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Type FSX black box squares into Google,  this problem is not new.   .  From a Simform reply in 2013    "This problem is caused by "FTX Global", most likey when DX10 is in use.
The problem is discussed  in the official Orbx-forum. "    I get this at times with AI planes landing lights.

Echofox

9 hours ago, Echofox said:

"FTX Global",

I don't use DX10 but I do use FTX Global so I'll check that out. Thank you

9 hours ago, stans said:

As for the question about women, this is the unanswerable question.

You passed the test. That truly is THE "unanswerable question!" (Though the book "Women Are From Venus and Men Are From Mars" possibly comes close) :biggrin:

20 hours ago, kiwiflyer45 said:

Because then they wouldn't be able to put it in the little black book they keep in the deep, inaccessible ( for mere males) recesses of their brain and drag it out 20 years later to remind us that we didn't do/say it!!

Bill

• Upvote 1