Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Any idea why car traffic is very jittery while all is buttery smooth?

I have P3D running better than ever now except for some odd reason road traffic is very jittery.  Any ideas why that would be, or what might fix it?  The weird part is I can have perfectly smooth video in all other motion in P3D including all airport ground and air traffic, even GSX, and yet road traffic is about the worst it's ever been.  I'm running latest nVidia driver, unlimited frames with monitor set at 30mHz, AM 340 on a 6 core SB-E at 4.42Ghz.   Something is different about car traffic and wonder if there is a variable one can tweak in a .cfg file that might impact this.  If I put the monitor back to 60mHz it improves the car traffic a little for sure, but just a little.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

You could try changing to internal frame limiter to see if that helps. You could set the internal frame rate limit at 60FPS at a low FPS impact default airport and see if the cars are smooth. I think you'll find they are. Unlimited frames is generally very unpredictable on a whole heap of simulator time sequenced things. It is ok if you mainly fly in a straight line and very low bank angles as you do in tube liner flying.

Same problem here.  Where road traffic is implemented using the standard techniques dating back to FSX and controlled by the density slider, they shake as they go by.  When it's implemented using some other animation, such as UK2000 airports, it's much smoother (although limited to that airport of course).  I hope it's an area that sees some enhancement in the next version.

Simon

As far as I remember it is inherent with the sim and not related to your system.  I read a ways back why but can't remember.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

It's just smooth with internal FPS limited to 30 FPS with the settings of 29.650 hz of the monitor. So in other words, the internal FPS limiter does not limit very accurate. 

Thanks all.  I have had some luck w/ using the internal limiter, or NI's various limiters, on this issue but in the end the best total experience is far and away unlimited with either 30mHz or 60mhz refresh, vsync enabled.  The road traffic seems to be somewhat baked in so perhaps this is something LM can allocate some time towards improving if they haven't already.   It is striking now just how stutter-free it's running, but that accentuates the road traffic issue.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I'll try to ask here, not to opening another topic...

did anybody remembers how to slow down car traffic in P3D (it's the same for FSX I guess) cause they just blasting at like 100km/h and making them going slower  they would look much more realistic.

I was thinking about 65-70km/h speeds. They just look way too erratic now, especially in turns.

Guess that, up to some point, this question has a lot of similarities with OP cause they would look all that "jittery" if they would go slower.

I know there is a way to slow them down, someone once post it, but I can't remember how.

Anyone ?

edit:

I found these links...

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/how-to-adjust-speed-for-car-traffic-in-fsx.13250/

(last post on bottom has file that you can replace with your LWcfg file. look for explanation how to locate it on your hd. tested only in fsx but should work in p3d too)

ACTUALLY - THE FILE SIZE OF MY P3D version and this one ARE QUITE DIFFERENT SO PERHAPS NOT JUST TO REPLACE IT, BUT RATHER YOU MAKE SOME CHANGES. Right at the start, you can see line <FreewayTraffic TrafficSpeed="100"> change it to something like... 60 or 70.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1655/fsx-spb2xml-utility/

(FSX spb2xml Utility, convert SPB files to XML)

If I'm not wrong, once you edit the file you don't have to convert it back to spb file, it will still work.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18017/fsx-tutorial-reducing-traffic-speed/

(tutorial)

Also... you can reduce vehicles speed by reducing their speed manually by their sim.cfg file from your "Prepar3D ***\SimObjects\GroundVehicles" folder.

Maybe they all realized everyone is staring at their smart phones.  That makes me jittery.

Great, thanks for that.  I have also wondered about that and I think it will attenuate the jerky motion some for sure.

Noel

just edit the LWcfg  xml file in the :-

C:\Users\???????\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3

bob