Sign in to follow this  
strider1

Rizen and Windows 10 Spyware !

I was looking fwd to the New Rizen Cpu but now I am having seconds thoughts since win 7 is not going to be supported.

I don't really like the idea that win 10 is going to be tracking my every move. Or installing malware apps without my authorization. Or spamming me with ads. Is it that bad ? 

Maybe I should purchase last years I7 since its still compatible with win 7 ?

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

Blocking Telemetry in Windows 7 and 8.1

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/11/blocking-telemetry-in-windows-7-and-8-1/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar

Is it that bad ?

No.

Personally I'm terribly disappointed it won't run MS-DOS 4. I don't want a GUI clogging my system down.

• Upvote 1

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Nope, it isn't that bad. I have W10 Pro, really like it actually. And if you don't like the so called spying features you can turn them off.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, strider1 said:

I was looking fwd to the New Rizen Cpu but now I am having seconds thoughts since win 7 is not going to be supported.

I don't really like the idea that win 10 is going to be tracking my every move. Or installing malware apps without my authorization. Or spamming me with ads. Is it that bad ? 

Maybe I should purchase last years I7 since its still compatible with win 7 ?

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

Blocking Telemetry in Windows 7 and 8.1

http://www.ghacks.net/2017/02/11/blocking-telemetry-in-windows-7-and-8-1/

I would love to know where you heard such nonsense?  Windows installing malware apps?  Since when?  Spamming with ads?  Again, since when?

I've been using Windows 10 since it came out in RC, and not a single time did I ever get spammed with ads (outside of the annoying ones in the start menu, which any savvy Windows user would know to unpin from the menu) and never have I ever been subjected to forced malware apps, and I wasn't even using a 3rd party antivirus either.

Listen, please don't buy into the fear and paranoia.  Windows 10 is stable, it works well and I have yet to discover any apps that don't work with it by now.  Granted, I cannot vouch for the new Ryzen chip (Kaby Lake user here).  As for telemetry, it is well known that Microsoft "tries" to get as much usage info from the user, but you do have the ability to turn off just about everything in the settings, unless you use apps that need certain pieces of information communicated.  If the paranoia is still too much, the folks from Spybot S&D have a great app called Anti-Beacon, which runs in the background to block any obscure or tough to disable telemetry, once Windows starts up each session.

As for purchasing an older cpu because it still supports and older OS, keep in mind that eventually you will need to give in and upgrade to a cpu that only supports Windows 10...it's called progress.  Honestly, I was a die hard Windows 7 user, up until 10 emerged and even then I was skeptical, but I eventually warmed to it and found it to be just as efficient if not better than 7.

Look, I know no amount of praise and reassurance could help you here, despite honest claims, and the choice is up to you, but you may be wasting your money trying to avoid something that really is a non-issue, by clinging to old tech that will leave you open to future issues.

• Upvote 1

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

11 hours ago, Jimm said:

I would love to know where you heard such nonsense?  Windows installing malware apps?  Since when?  Spamming with ads?  Again, since when?

I've been using Windows 10 since it came out in RC, and not a single time did I ever get spammed with ads (outside of the annoying ones in the start menu, which any savvy Windows user would know to unpin from the menu) and never have I ever been subjected to forced malware apps, and I wasn't even using a 3rd party antivirus either.

Listen, please don't buy into the fear and paranoia.  Windows 10 is stable, it works well and I have yet to discover any apps that don't work with it by now.  Granted, I cannot vouch for the new Ryzen chip (Kaby Lake user here).  As for telemetry, it is well known that Microsoft "tries" to get as much usage info from the user, but you do have the ability to turn off just about everything in the settings, unless you use apps that need certain pieces of information communicated.  If the paranoia is still too much, the folks from Spybot S&D have a great app called Anti-Beacon, which runs in the background to block any obscure or tough to disable telemetry, once Windows starts up each session.

As for purchasing an older cpu because it still supports and older OS, keep in mind that eventually you will need to give in and upgrade to a cpu that only supports Windows 10...it's called progress.  Honestly, I was a die hard Windows 7 user, up until 10 emerged and even then I was skeptical, but I eventually warmed to it and found it to be just as efficient if not better than 7.

Look, I know no amount of praise and reassurance could help you here, despite honest claims, and the choice is up to you, but you may be wasting your money trying to avoid something that really is a non-issue, by clinging to old tech that will leave you open to future issues.

If you do a Google search you will find a endless amount of links to the topic.

Here is one:https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.en.html

Eric Escobar

I was hesitant to move to Windows 10 after hearing all the boogeyman stuff about it.  Wanted a i7 7700k, overcame my fear of Windows 10, now I'm very happy with my Windows 10 machine powered by an i7 7700k.  Has one issue where WIndows 10 was forcing an nvidia driver update, found out how to prevent that from happening on this forum, and all is good.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 minute ago, regis9 said:

I was hesitant to move to Windows 10 after hearing all the boogeyman stuff about it.  Wanted a i7 7700k, overcame my fear of Windows 10, now I'm very happy with my Windows 10 machine powered by an i7 7700k.  Has one issue where WIndows 10 was forcing an nvidia driver update, found out how to prevent that from happening on this forum, and all is good.

So you are ok with the spying or did you turn it off ?

Eric Escobar

12 hours ago, strider1 said:

So you are ok with the spying or did you turn it off ?

Do you use Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo etc. They have been collecting serious amounts of data about you for years - much more personal, in some cases. Microsoft is no worse than these (and many more like them). There are plenty of apps around that allow you to easily turn off ALL of the data-collection elements of Windows 10. You're no safer using Windows 7 - at least Windows 10 allows you to easily turn it all off.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

50 minutes ago, vortex681 said:

Do you use Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo etc. They have been collecting serious amounts of data about you for years - much more personal, in some cases. Microsoft is no worse than these (and many more like them). There are plenty of apps around that allow you to easily turn off ALL of the data-collection elements of Windows 10. You're no safer using Windows 7 - at least Windows 10 allows you to easily turn it all off.

Honestly, if you have nothing to hide and practice safe browsing and don't do anything illegal, what is the big deal?  Most of the time, people who clamor over privacy, have something to hide.  Windows 10 does make it easier to turn off features, though some can be stubborn, but there are apps to take care of that.  If privacy really is such a big issue, then don't go online. :)

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Jimm, I respectfully take issue with your statement "Most of the time, people who clamor over privacy, have something to hide.".

The "big deal" is the right to privacy guaranteed us in our Constitution, and I have sadly watched its' gradual decline over a long period of time.  There are certainly folks who fit your definition.  My conjecture is that there are many of us who just believe that our personal business is no one's but our own.  To be labeled as 'something to hide' because we respect our rights borders on offensive to me.

Many of us take the actions we are able to secure our information.  For example, much Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, etc data collection can be turned off by simply restricting scripting inside your browser.  Just seems like a responsible personal policy to me.  YMMV! :-)

Thanks for listening!

Jim

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, shazam said:

Jimm, I respectfully take issue with your statement "Most of the time, people who clamor over privacy, have something to hide.".

The "big deal" is the right to privacy guaranteed us in our Constitution, and I have sadly watched its' gradual decline over a long period of time.  There are certainly folks who fit your definition.  My conjecture is that there are many of us who just believe that our personal business is no one's but our own.  To be labeled as 'something to hide' because we respect our rights borders on offensive to me.

Many of us take the actions we are able to secure our information.  For example, much Google, Facebook, Twitter, Yahoo, etc data collection can be turned off by simply restricting scripting inside your browser.  Just seems like a responsible personal policy to me.  YMMV! :-)

Thanks for listening!

Jim

It's your right to take issue, but I make no apologies.  Those who have nothing to hide, have nothing to worry about and if you want to maintain a level of privacy you are comfortable with, then you take the appropriate steps...it's that simple.  Complaining and griping over it, won't change a thing because MS holds all the cards.  We accepted their EULAs and TOSs, and if you didn't read the fine print, that's not MS's problem.  If you still "take issue" with their terms, then there is always Apple or even Linux.

The real point here is that no one is being forced to use the software.  There are options out there.  Microsoft has to make their money somehow, since they released a free version of Windows.  It's all about advertising and how they need to target their users appropriately.  Yes, you are correct in that we do have control over what gets sent to MS, and you take whatever steps are necessary but most importantly, you take the time to learn and understand.

Even though Ryzen won't be officially supported in Windows 7 I bet that it will still work. Also @Jimmin the internet age protecting your identity is extremely important because of how much easier it is to steal it. This is the reason so many people have an issue with the PMDG policy on these forums. As for the W10 adware, I have seen several examples of W10 spamming an ad for Edge if you're using another browser.

11 minutes ago, sizziano said:

Even though Ryzen won't be officially supported in Windows 7 I bet that it will still work. Also @Jimmin the internet age protecting your identity is extremely important because of how much easier it is to steal it. This is the reason so many people have an issue with the PMDG policy on these forums. As for the W10 adware, I have seen several examples of W10 spamming an ad for Edge if you're using another browser.

I must have gotten a special version of Windows 10 because I have zero ads and I have yet to see any type of malware, deceptive advertising or blatant spam over a simple web browser.  The only thing I found the Edge browser excels at is downloading Chrome.  I have seen pop-ups on the Edge browser about using Chrome as my default browser, but that's it.  I've cleared out my start menu of any crapware games or any other "useful" MS apps.

What PMDG policy do you speak of?  Is it the first and last names thing?  I'd have to agree with them on that one.

Don't misconstrue my previous statements as being that naive and innocent not to protect my identity.  I take steps in the form of using the features built in to Windows 10 to not provide Microsoft with.  I also use Spybot's Anti-Beacon app, which covers the rest.  Within the last 3 years or so, I've had two bank accounts and one credit card hacked.  I lost over $2000 to fraudulent charges made by some scum of the earth with nothing better to do, but I got it back with due diligence and keen observation.  Since then, I never let it get to me, scare me, or cause paranoia, because why should I let them win?  Same goes for security and privacy in my OS.  Microsoft offered this OS to me for free, and I accepted it, as well as whatever terms they set forth.  If they breach those terms and I find out they are responsible, then i am within my right to take action...it's that simple.

Do any of you live in the U.S.?  If so, you know the NSA is spying on literally everything you do online, right?  This is non-news, i.e. not news-worthy.