Sign in to follow this  

Some weather shots from my NorCal hike...

stop fooling us Rob, we all know this is p3d v4 :laugh:just kidding, nice pictures and yes i hope that we can see such lighting in a future simulator, i must admit that UNIGINE looks fantastic.

Nice pics.

Was looking at a related phenomenon yesterday whilst out with a horse up in the hills of the Peak District, south of Manchester. It was a bit overcast, but quite bright all the same. Visibility was pretty much unlimited; you could see the buildings in Manchester city centre, about twenty miles away to the north, and the hills beyond the city. But then I noticed the visibility changing very rapidly; you could actually perceive the change occurring as incoming rainfall began to obscure distant visibility, first the hills, then the buildings in Manchester, then the nearer towns as what was clearly a high speed WNW wind blew that bad weather in off the Irish Sea. I knew it was low rain clouds that i could see coming, but it looked like rolling fog from that high vantage point, gradually obscuring everything until visibility was really low and we ourselves were in that cloud on the hills. It was kind of cool to see that coming in toward us, rolling rapidly over the landscape, especially from up in the hills, although it did mean me and Katie the horse got all wet of course. :-)

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Speaking of engines ... I happen to be a Civ VI player and noticed that they now support 8192K shadow maps which solved coarse edge shadow problems at higher zoom out levels.  Civ VI is DX12 but ran poorly on my old Titan X, but with the new 10 series, my Titan X Pascal shows a significant improvement ... based on my other DX12 experiences, it seems DX12 works a lot better on 10 Series GPUs.  Of course the biggest problem around DX12 is that it requires Windows 10 (still only 24% market share) and it requires at least a 10 series GPU (1050, 1060, 1070, 1080, Titan X Pascal) ... so DX12 Win10 requirement it's going to be a significant road block for the immediate future but hopefully in a year or two it'll be a more viable option for flight simulator platforms.

Cheers, Rob.