Sign in to follow this  
Guest Raj

Is VR the reason for the delay?

Guest Raj

Could it be that the reason for the Flight Simulator delay is that DTG are building in VR?  Now that would be a game changer and a way to put them ahead of the competition.

They've said previously that they have a long history of working with VR

Raj

On 27/02/2017 at 0:55 PM, Guest Raj said:

Could it be that the reason for the Flight Simulator delay is that DTG are building in VR?  Now that would be a game changer and a way to put them ahead of the competition.

They've said previously that they have a long history of working with VR

Raj

We do indeed Raj and we are looking very closely at VR. It seems an ideal match for simulation. At the moment the VR hardware market is very unsettled. Our plan is to wait a while until the situation evens out before committing to VR support. 

- Martin 

Thanks for the insight Martin.  It's good to see DTG back and connecting with the simulation community, it's what many of us admired about your approach to the business of FS development.

Raj

VR is unsettled? It seems the current players and the 2 VRs supported even on Steam are Oculus and HTC Vive. P3D/Xplane/FSX (through FlyInside) all support Oculus/Vive along with AFS2. Not sure what the wait would be for.

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb, RX 6900XT 16gb

I assume the wait would be for VR to become a bit more mainstream, which it probably will be fairly soon, but VR isn't in that place yet.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

So the intent is to possibly retrofit VR at some later time, rather than make it integral from the start?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

On 10/3/2017 at 10:46 AM, HiFlyer said:

So the intent is to possibly retrofit VR at some later time, rather than make it integral from the start?

you know they are just using FSX and maybe adding some scenario like orbx? you guys still believe this will be a new sim?

In a shopping mall in SoCal this past weekend I passed by a Microsoft stand with a queue of people waiting in line to try out an Oculus Rift headset.  The person with a headset on as I walk by was flailing her arms about and looked unsteady on her feet.  I didn’t give it much thought and continued along my path to the Cinnabon bakery.

A few days later in the middle of the week I happened to walk by the same Microsoft stand.  The stand was empty except for a salesperson, what the heck I thought, let’s give it a go.

I donned the headset and the salesperson took me though a calibration routine, nothing ground breaking to report so far.  Next I was transported to the base of a mountain cliff, the salesperson instructed me to use my hands to “pull myself up” and climb the wall.  All easy stuff and pretty much what I expected.  I was not prepared for what happened next.  The salesperson asked me to look down.  I had in fact started my climb not from the base of the cliff but half way up, and suddenly there I was dangling with my feet in the air, hanging on my with my hands for dear life. I felt dizzy, my toes tingled, my palms started to sweat, my heart raced and I panicked.  I shouted for the salesperson to stop the demo and I whipped off the headset, desperate to be transported back to the safety of the sturdy mall.

I can only imagine the sense of excitement I will experience the first time in the cockpit of a PMDG VR 737 in DTG’s VR Flight Simulator.  I am certain that this is the future, not now but we’ll get there in a couple of years.  What a great time to be part of this community.

• Upvote 3

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 5:47 AM, albx said:

you know they are just using FSX and maybe adding some scenario like orbx? you guys still believe this will be a new sim?

Um, no that is not all they are doing. It's been stated more than once that aircraft will not be backwards compatible, so how could that be "just using FSX?"

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

P3D was that not based on FSX upgrade will P3Dv4 be an all new sim or just an upgrade, may be the flat earth society will come out with something entirely new.

Ray Fry.   

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Any idea on the resolution in VR? I tried it with P3D and feeling like I'm in the cockpit was overwhelming to say the least. However, the resolution (which is standard for VR in general from what I understand) was really not as pleasant and is the reason why I'm skipping VR until it's available in the same resolution that we see on a screen.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

2 hours ago, Canuck said:

Any idea on the resolution in VR? I tried it with P3D and feeling like I'm in the cockpit was overwhelming to say the least. However, the resolution (which is standard for VR in general from what I understand) was really not as pleasant and is the reason why I'm skipping VR until it's available in the same resolution that we see on a screen.

The resolution is dictated by the VR hardware, not the simulator software. Since VR screens are way closer to the eye than traditional LCD monitors or even your phone, much, much higher DPIs are required to avoid aliasing. I would guess that not even the second generation of current VR tech is going to please most flight simmers. It is going to take a pretty sizable leap in screen tech as well as graphics processing to make people truly happy with VR in the flight simulation environment.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

19 hours ago, kiwikat said:

The resolution is dictated by the VR hardware, not the simulator software. Since VR screens are way closer to the eye than traditional LCD monitors or even your phone, much, much higher DPIs are required to avoid aliasing. I would guess that not even the second generation of current VR tech is going to please most flight simmers. It is going to take a pretty sizable leap in screen tech as well as graphics processing to make people truly happy with VR in the flight simulation environment.

Correct, you can see the  pixels even on my S8.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

The resolution is indeed still the weak point in VR. It`s like looking through a screen door, and you often have to lean in to be able to read text. On the other hand, the feeling of immersion is so strong that I can easily overlook the disadvantage of seeing the pixels - after a short while I only notice them when I have to read something. I`ve lost all interest in flying by looking at a screen, even a large 29`` screen like I have.

VR really IS the future of flight simming, and I guess it will take off rather fast. Once you`ve tasted it, it`s hard to go back. Sure, you can wait untill the technology has evolved to perfection, but many of us didn`t wait either to take up flight simmimg until it reached the level of realism we now take for granted.

Paul

14 hours ago, PaulVR said:

VR really IS the future of flight simming, and I guess it will take off rather fast.

Price point still seems rather high IMHO for a fast takeoff.

Give people power to really test their personality.