Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

Using two pc's?

With FSX was a pain for me to not have 2nd PC really - exclusive full screen was good, and using 2nd monitor, you would black it out if using exclusive full and not borderless.

With P3D, as Vic said, it is more of a convenience, but since P3D doesn't have exclusive full screen, you can also run 2nd monitor as well.

In terms of performance - I was long running secondary apps on a laptop. I dumped it. There is absolutely no impact if all-on-one, only work to maintain two computers and setting everything up (incl. looking for errors, if something isn't working). And even if AS is doing something, I sure am not feeling it. I have a fully blown AI, addon airports, PMDG/FSL...

That said, running 6700K at 4.8Ghz, with 3600Mhz RAM, GTX980 and an M2.SSD. So YMMV.

I have been using for years and there are many benefits, e.g my CLIENT PC  runs AS16, Project magenta,  SimToutch plus 2 and sounds etc I have project magenta running 2 displays for instruments and a touch display for SimToutch and a separate display for map. It became a second nature to me , can't live without.

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

At the moment I'm running everything on same PC, but in past I had run on two PC's. Now on 1 PC, it just not convenient to run all the things I did when running networked. It can be a real PITA to run two, but if you keep notes and backups or certain files that get overwritten during an update, I can't see how you can say a bad word against a client and server setup.

I also found it a PITA just to keep 2 monitors going, I'd rather put in the maintenance time in on a network.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

So is it not possible to have the SIM run on 1 PC, and offload the Out-The-Window (Visuals) to another PC?  This is with the current Sims that are available to consumers.  I know it is done on much larger commercial sims.  According to LM, P3D will talk CIGI but I just don't know if the sim is set up to operate that way.  Anyone know?

32 minutes ago, Gavenger said:

So is it not possible to have the SIM run on 1 PC, and offload the Out-The-Window (Visuals) to another PC?  This is with the current Sims that are available to consumers.  I know it is done on much larger commercial sims.  According to LM, P3D will talk CIGI but I just don't know if the sim is set up to operate that way.  Anyone know?

On FSX it is possible to do this using a suitable networking program to synchronize two copies of FSX. The only two such programs I am aware of are Wideview and OpusFSI. OpusFSI also supports P3D, I can't speak for Wideview. That said, I have recently experimented with this (using OpusFSI) and found it to be an utterly inelegant method that introduces a host of new problems that may well outweigh the benefits. Earlier versions of P3D had similar ('multi-channel') functionality built-in but I understand it is now only available if you buy a 'Professional Plus' licence, which costs about the same as a buying a new PC that's of running P3D with decent performance.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

On FSX it is possible to do this using a suitable networking program to synchronize two copies of FSX. The only two such programs I am aware of are Wideview and OpusFSI. OpusFSI also supports P3D, I can't speak for Wideview. That said, I have recently experimented with this (using OpusFSI) and found it to be an utterly inelegant method that introduces a host of new problems that may well outweigh the benefits. Earlier versions of P3D had similar ('multi-channel') functionality built-in but I understand it is now only available if you buy a 'Professional Plus' licence, which costs about the same as a buying a new PC that's of running P3D with decent performance.

Wideview also supports P3D you just have to have a P3D license for each PC, not to confuse wideserver which FSUIPC needs on the Client PC to run  Addons  such Project Magenta. 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

After setting up a nice AMD based "gaming" machine, or so I thought, for flight simulation I discovered Intel/Nvidia was the way to go.  So I assigned that PC as my 2nd PC to run follow-maps, glass and steam gauges, Super Traffic Board... all sorts of goodies that I off-loaded from my main PC.

Plus I can use it for the web when flying, doing other PC work.  I have found it quite indispensable these days.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

For a long time, I have been building a new flight sim PC every 3-4 years, and when I do, I rotate the old one into place as my secondary PC. 

I run flight planning (PFPX, FSBuild), ATC (Radar Contact, PF3, Pro/ATC-X), moving map (Aivlasoft EFB), weather (AS 2016/ASCA), and some other ancillary utilities like Quantum Leap, VASMon etc on the second PC, as well as reviewing Navigraph/FAA map products.  ActiveSky, in all of its incarnations, has been and continues to be fairly CPU-intensive at times, and having that workload moved off the sim PC prevents the stutters that occur when the wx program eats too far into the headroom between normal FS CPU load and 100% CPU utilization on a core.  Smoothness on P3D is very good when there is enough headroom between CPU utilization under FS load and max load to accomodate spikes in workload without hitting 100% on the CPU cores.  Widening that headroom gap does not result in better FPS for me (I run with vsync lock on a 30Hz monitor) but increasing that headroom gap reduces the number of stutters when those spikes do occur (most often terrain/scenery loads).

Also, having ATC audio coming from a different source than the sim PC allows me to put that on a headset or side speaker with separate control over volume/tone etc, with ambient acft surround sound from my sound system (a home theater system dedicated to the sim machine).  It's a very flexible way to configure audio.

The second PC does not need to be cutting edge, either in the processor or GPU dept.  Until recently, I was using a 2009 vintage i7-975 with a GTX480 as my secondary PC, and it was way more than enough for the job.

Finally, it's helpful to be able to look at weather, computer flight plan, maps, etc off to the side without disturbing the sim.  And I can surf AVSIM while at cruise...  ;-) 

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Can you run this other pc as a wireless connected laptop?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Just now, warbirds said:

Can you run this other pc as a wireless connected laptop?

Yes

That would be ideal for me then because I don't sit at a desk with the main pc and sit back from a large monitor with remote mouse and keyboard. Also the laptop would have the monitor built in so no need to add that..cool. Now all I need is a network guru to come over and set this up for me :)

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Another great thing about networking PC's in Sim is you can kill or adjust the addons on the fly without pausing the sim. just be careful using wireless depend on the addon it might cause issues if your wifi is too slow.  

If you are then using 2nd computer, but want to use a single input device (mouse/keyboard), eg. only that of your main computer, there is a simple program I used for a long time:

https://www.inputdirector.com/

6 minutes ago, SimonC said:

If you are then using 2nd computer, but want to use a single input device (mouse/keyboard), eg. only that of your main computer, there is a simple program I used for a long time:

https://www.inputdirector.com/

I just use this as you can switch up to 3 PC's https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-master?crid=7

Hi,

See here, Hi-FI commented about using AS16 on networked PC (no gain)

Mike