Sign in to follow this  
Capt Speirs

How to best install FSX on multiple drives

I have two new SSD drives (250 GB and 500 GB) and acquired a brand new copy of FSX Gold. I not sure where it would be best to install FSX and its addons across multiple drives. I was thinking of installing FSX on the "C" drive (not in "Program Files") and the addons on the other SSD. My FSX folder is 238 GB and another drive has over 40 GB of various addons. These two drives with Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit will be dedicated to FSX only and are in quick hot swap slots. I also have three other slower drives of 1 to 2 TB each. I tried to research this and found very little which most was outdated in my opinion. Thanks for your time and help in this venture that I have been pining over for quite some time. "Hidden Contents" lists some of my addons.

Spoiler

FSX Gold

PMDG products

UTX

GEX

FreshMesh X

MyTraffic Professional 6.0

AS16 + ASCA

DX10 Scenery Fixer

DX10 Cloud Shadows

EZdok Camera 2

REX4 Texture Direct

REX Soft Clouds

Various Airports

AES

GSX

PFPX

TOPCAT

AS Night Environment

FSUIPC 4 (registered)

I have my FSX on my "X:" drive, Addon Scenery is on my "J:" drive while some aircraft are on my "Y:" drive. Orbx is on my "O:" drive and some scenery is located on my "Z:" drive.

It's really up to you as to where you put stuff, as long as FSX 'allows it'.

IMO Scenery, which gets accessed the most should definitely be on a fast drive/partition. If everything your FSX stuff fits on the two SSD drives then you probably do not need to divide stuff up any more than you have already indicted.

I spread my stuff around as a convenient way of organizing all the various parts of my FSX install with an eye on what goes to the SSD's and what goes to fast hard drives.

With OrbX, drive space is the driving force. More than 100 GB of stuff there so I have that on a suitably sized partition on one of my SSD's and mount that drive in the EMPTY OrbX folder in the FSX folder.

I use that method for the Addon Scenery as well, The 'mounted drive' must be dedicated to the files that would normaly be in the default folder in FSX and be at the root of that drive.

Paul

Wide-5.jpg

So, you propose to hot swap in your OS and FSX on (2) SSD's when you want to fly?

Or. . .

Do you mean shutdown, cold swap, boot then fly?

Just curious,

N99WB

On 2/28/2017 at 3:22 PM, n99wb said:

So, you propose to hot swap in your OS and FSX on (2) SSD's when you want to fly?

Or. . .

Do you mean shutdown, cold swap, boot then fly?

Just curious,

N99WB

Shutdown, cold swap, boot, then fly.

Typically, the larger drive would be faster, so i'd put the OS and FSX on it and the rest on the 250.

Performance on SSD's can really suffer as they approach 80% capacity.  So watch out for that.

Bear in mind, depending on manufacturer, you will have over provisioning for wear leveling (or whatever

they call it).  I've over provisioned 40 gig on my 500 gig Samsung EVO 850.

N99WB

20 hours ago, n99wb said:

Typically, the larger drive would be faster, so i'd put the OS and FSX on it and the rest on the 250.

Performance on SSD's can really suffer as they approach 80% capacity.  So watch out for that.

Bear in mind, depending on manufacturer, you will have over provisioning for wear leveling (or whatever

they call it).  I've over provisioned 40 gig on my 500 gig Samsung EVO 850.

N99WB

Thanks for your input, I think that is what I will do. They are both Samsung 850 Pro

Nice drives.  Be sure to download Samsung's latest "Magician" software

and enable "Rapid Mode".