Sign in to follow this  
Marius_S

Upgrade - GPU or CPU w/MB and more ram?

My current system:

MSI B85M-E45
Intel i7-4970k @ 4.4 Ghz
GTX 770 2 GB
8 GB RAM

At the moment it appears like I only will be able to either upgrade the GPU or the CPU with a new MB and more RAM.
My GPU is definitely ready for an upgrade, and I´ve been looking at the GTX 1070. However, I recently came across a good deal for a CPU upgrade which includes the following components:

ASUS ROG Strix Z270H Gaming, Socket-1151
Intel i7-7700k
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz 16GB

So, in your opinion, what would be my best choice here? I´m mainly using Prepar3D v3

Marius S

As CPU-limited as flight sim is (in particular FSX), a 4790k is still a pretty powerful CPU.  It's very likely you're running into CPU limitations with a GTX 770 at times.  Certainly not all the time, mind you, but with complex add-ons and especially weather I can virtually guarantee you would benefit more from the GPU upgrade.  I just went from a 4790k to a 7700k and while there's a difference in performance in FSX, I'm running a 1070 so I'm not GPU-limited nearly as often as you are.  

I would say that a 4970K @ 4.4 + GTX770 is a nicely balanced system.

Wait until you are ready to replace the whole system - sometime in the future.

Bert

Thanks for the advice guys. I found a good deal on a MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Armor OC, and ended up ordering that.

Marius S

I´ve now done a few flights with my new GPU. The overall performance is about the same, but I do notice a big difference when flying into more "heavy" airports and weather. I don´t pay too much attention to FPS, but I´ve yet to get any stutters or low fps. 

So, as it stands now, I will postpone any furter upgrades until P3D v4 is released, and I know what will be required. I do hope my GPU will be ok for while now though.

Marius S

If the overall performance is the same you haven't turned off Bufferpools in your config file.  

3 hours ago, Marius_S said:

I´ve now done a few flights with my new GPU. The overall performance is about the same, but I do notice a big difference when flying into more "heavy" airports and weather.

That sounds about right.. enjoy the flying experience!

Bert