Sign in to follow this  
tcas_climb

Unable to tune 118.70

Dunno if I am doing something wrong here, but if I tune 118, and then turn the small knob to scroll downward through the .000 freq, it changes to DATA. I have to tune the .700 first then turn the bigger knob down to 118. Can someone confirm this?

Hi,

Try to turn the inner knob upward until you get 700. If you set 118 with the outer knob and go downward, then yes you will get DATA but upward it works fine.

Romain Roux

204800.pngACH1179.jpg

Avec l'avion, nous avons inventé la ligne droite.

St Exupéry, Terre des hommes.

My manuals do specify that the large knob is used to get to DATA. The PMDG team may have to look into this. Can you submit a ticket to have this checked?

While “DATA” is not annunciated in the ACTIVE window, the content of
STANDBY window may be scrolled between successive permissible frequency
values and “DATA” (if data mode has been activated for the ARINC 716 VHF
voice/data radio at least once
[?]). In this situation, “DATA”
becomes available at the frequency limits of the large knob (before wrapping
between 118.XX and 136.XX). The kHz portion of the standby frequency is
unaffected.
1 Example: “136.25” -CW- “DATA” -CW- “118.25”; and “118.75” -CCW-
“DATA” -CCW- “136.75”.

Cheers

JHW

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Thanks for the replies guys. I will submit a ticket, but what is happening is for example, a frequency of 124.95 is set. If i turn the bigger knob counter clockwise, the frequency will roll down to 118, but as soon as I turn the smaller knob counter clockwise from .950, it goes to DATA. And if I continue to turn it it cycles between DATA and 136.000 (or whatever the upper frequency limit is).

Now back to the original example, if I turn the smaller knob first to set .700 and then the bigger knob, then I am able to tune 118.700

2 hours ago, Qavion2 said:

My manuals do specify that the large knob is used to get to DATA. The PMDG team may have to look into this. Can you submit a ticket to have this checked?

More writing from the manuals that leaves a person more confused than before they asked the question. You were right - "I wish they would write this in plain English." 

8 hours ago, pcubine said:

I wish they would write this in plain English.

One of the more irritating issues with the technical industry is that we often write things in a technical way to sound more technically formal, without realizing how vague the statement/information is. Legalese on the other hand, while difficult to track in certain parts, and full of cases where a thousand words are used where about thirty would work, is usually rather specific and clear once you parse through it all.

The FAR as an example, is a pain to read because it is so dry, but in the end, you can usually come out ahead when attempting to understand something. The FCOM(s), though, can still be a bit vague, despite being filled with more technical, difficult to track, language. The problem with the FAR, however, is that a lot of it is left vague intentionally, and is covered in ACs/ADs/OpSpecs/etc., or was written at different times by different parties to meet differing purposes (see the 42 different definitions of the word 'night' - thank you FAA).

Kyle Rodgers

I myself find the FCOMs a hard read.  The manual that came with the PMDG 747x was an in house masterpiece.

spacer.png