Sign in to follow this  
bszuch

Large shadow in front of aircraft when on ground

Was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.  I am running FSX boxed SP2, DX10 with Steve's fixer and cloud shadows.  I have changed planes multiple times and it seems to not be related to the aircraft.  When taxiing, there is a large rectangular "shadow" that moves just in front of aircraft.  It's wider than the field of vision when looking forward and seems about 100 yards deep or so and remains stationary when the eye view is panned (plane remaining stationary).  It's not shaped like the aircraft, in the attached photo you can see a portion of the aircraft's actual ground shadow. Turning shadows on/off for plane and/or ground do not affect it, it remains.   In the first picture you see it extending beyond the plane to the left (and as I said, it moves along with the plane) and ends in front of the plane beyond the tarmac grass beyond.  You also see the shadow when in spot view (see picture 2), but not in tower view. I don't believe I had the anomaly in DX9, but can't be certain.  Any thoughts?.. 

FSX-Shadow.JPG

FSX-Shadow2.JPG

Let's see........something in the sky between the Sun and the Earth.  How about a cloud shadow?

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

3 hours ago, charliearon said:

Let's see........something in the sky between the Sun and the Earth.  How about a cloud shadow?

I don't see that as the likely culprit - Steve's cloud shadow addon only kicks in around 1,000' AGL. Plus, it looks like we're looking at clear skies in the screenshots.

I'd work through the DX10 fixer documentation and make sure you've hit all the steps - perhaps reset all of the fixer's settings to default and start fresh with it. That sort of anomaly is likely to do with the shaders or the DX10 libraries which may be causing this.

Should you not get it squared away, I'd look through DX10 fixer forum here as well to see if others may have encountered similar issues.

Good luck!

Legacy Aircraft force shadows...

The diagnostics button should be showing a warning symbol  and if you click on it, then it will explain that the feature can cause issues with shadows on legacy airports and that you should only use it in a profile for flying legacy aircraft.

Steve,

Thanks for the info, that fixed it.  Also to Greggerm, you indeed pointed me in the right direction as I was able to find a post within the DX10 forum that displayed the same issue and the remedy was listed as what Steve posted here.  My hats off to Steve for a wonderful product and the visual impact of your cloud shadows is great.  All things running well now!

thanks again to you both,  Brian