Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

1080Ti OFFICIAL LAUNCH - 35% FASTER!

I have never really realized a major fps improvement when updating video cards, maybe a few fps more but not much. If you go from a 5 year old card to a new one then there should be some gain but from one release to another it has always been very little. 

I expect the same going from my 1080 to a Ti.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

I guess everyone saying that the Ti was going to be $800 + was quite wrong. Wish I would have waited another month , oh well. I'm CPU limited at this point anyways. Need a new mobo/processor.

What do you guys think 980ti to a 1080 ti upgrade is worth it? Im running xp11 mainly, will go back to p3d if it goes 64bit. I have a 6600k @ 4.7ghz. The 980ti struggles to push 4k in xp11 and maintain 30fps. The GPU runs 90% plus in 4k and the memory is maxed out around 5.9gb used so I was hoping that the 1080ti would allow me to run 4k at 30fps. To me a cpu upgrade wont get me anyhting right now so might as well go the GPU route and wait a year till the new intels and amds come out. 

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

Definitely worth it. I am going from a 1080 to a 1080ti as soon as release day comes around.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

7 hours ago, martin-w said:

Oh great stuff, thanks Graham. Pretty expensive. I may pass my 980Ti on to my daughter, as I'm building her a Mini ITX system. Be a while though, so by that time the 1080 Ti may have dropped in price. 

If you're building her a "mini itx" system, good luck fitting that huge card in there...

also in general prices do not drop until a new generation is launched, so this won't be for another year or two (not sure what "be a while" means to you). My 980Ti up to when the 1080 came out and even after, was still pretty close to what I paid for it. 

19 hours ago, Raven9000 said:

If you're building her a "mini itx" system, good luck fitting that huge card in there...

also in general prices do not drop until a new generation is launched, so this won't be for another year or two (not sure what "be a while" means to you). My 980Ti up to when the 1080 came out and even after, was still pretty close to what I paid for it. 

:biggrin: Ha, I know, but the Lian Li case I have already bought for her does indeed accommodate the 980 Ti. 

Always a challenge cooling Mini ITX but perfectly doable with common sense.

Lovely cases Lian Li, I have a Lian Li super expensive PC-X510 mega case. Utterly fantastic. 

Re price drop, it will be many months before I can build for her, so we will see what the situation is then re prices and 1080 Ti.

I'm looking to upgrade to the 1080ti from a 970. This will be the first time I get a truly top of the line card close to release. I feel like a big boy now!

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

55 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I'm looking to upgrade to the 1080ti from a 970. This will be the first time I get a truly top of the line card close to release. I feel like a big boy now!

I'm doing the same.

19 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

What will you be using it for?

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

5 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Graphics! what else??? I'm kidding I'm kidding. Looking at that spreadsheet that Rob A. put together for using p3d in 4k, ill be using it for p3d. right now, clouds kill kill kill my performance in 4k. I'm pretty darn certain the new card will help. Rob A. spreadsheet said it would.

I'm also looking to play other games as well and I know thst this new beast of a card will help with that when playing in 4k.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

5 hours ago, vortex681 said:

Driving a 4k 50" TV.

Ha!   For those of us on a budget, this just means my 970 might be affordable.

spacer.png

Rumour circulating that AIB's are very angry. Nvidia have apparently given them very little time to develop their versions of 1080 Ti. 

Thus, forcing purchasers to go with founders edition if they want a card now.

Will definitely be getting this. Going from a 980TI and it can struggle sometimes at 3440 x 1440. This seems like a healthy bump in performance!

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Hmm I may give this a go.  I run P3D with a 6600k OCed to 4.4 ghz and have a 1060 right now.  The biggest thing for me is I still suffer from blurries on approach and have some slight shimmering on a 4k TV with only 4x MSAA in game.  4x SGSS removes almost all of it but my card can't handle that.

Would this be worth it for me?  Or would I be better off investing in a better CPU for the blurries issue and worry about shimmering later.  I'm not sure how much of an effect the card would have on the blurries anyway.

5800x3d Asus 4090 ROG Strix OC 2TB SSD 32GB Ram