Sign in to follow this  
Gunbjo

Nt.dll freeze

Hallo,

I have followed your CTD guide hoping to find a solution but no luck. Until some weeks ago everything went smoothly.I had been flying all around Africa without any problems. I am Flying IFR with the Boeing 737- 800. Now in Berlin trying to go to Stockholm,  after about 20 min. FSX was freezing. I have tried about 5 -6 times and all the times except the last one it has been freezing when I more or less  have arrived 30000 feet. The last time it happened already after about 15 min and the event list didn't say anything about Dll.xml, but the time before the event list mentioned it.

1. I have Booster Driver and it says everything is upp to date. Instead I tried going back to the previous driver : Controller Audio, Video, game but no luck.

2. SFC tells everything is ok.         3. I don't think overheating or too high or low voltage can be the issues. I haven't touched the BIOS.   4. I think I have the latest UIAutomation core.dll. There are 3 of them.     5.  I have checked Dll.xml and ran it manually. It was this time it frooze already after  about 15 min and the event list didn't say anything about Dll.xml. Furthermore FSX never asked for a new module. It happened only at the start          6.UAC is at the lowest point.

I have even uninstalled FSX  and reinstalled it following your guide but invain

I can't remember I have changed anything else except reinstalling GFX add-on shortly before these freezes started happening, but I have uninstalled it again.

My computer:     Windows 10 home,  64 bit               Nvidia Gefoce GTX660,       Intel core i5-4460 CPU 3.20 GHz  3.20 GHz,        RAM: 8.00 GB  HD:       1 TB.

Here are 2 event lists.

Nome registro: Application
Origine:       Application Error
Data:          01/03/2017 17:26:44
ID evento:     1000
Categoria attività:(100)
Livello:       Errore
Parole chiave: Classico
Utente:        N/D
Computer:      DESKTOP-F8M5DMO
Descrizione:
Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: fsx.exe, versione: 10.0.61637.0, timestamp: 0x46fadb14
Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: ntdll.dll, versione: 10.0.14393.479, timestamp: 0x58256ca0
Codice eccezione: 0xc0000374
Offset errore 0x000d9d11
ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0x18e4
Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d292a5949a6c19
Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\FSX\fsx.exe
Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
ID segnalazione: 2fcfb79f-933a-4454-9a1c-250de4e07adf
Nome completo pacchetto che ha generato l'errore:
ID applicazione relativo al pacchetto che ha generato l'errore:
XML evento:                                                                                                                           Here it talks about XML
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-03-01T16:26:44.204105700Z" />
    <EventRecordID>47323</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-F8M5DMO</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61637.0</Data>
    <Data>46fadb14</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.14393.479</Data>
    <Data>58256ca0</Data>
    <Data>c0000374</Data>
    <Data>000d9d11</Data>
    <Data>18e4</Data>
    <Data>01d292a5949a6c19</Data>
    <Data>C:\FSX\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>2fcfb79f-933a-4454-9a1c-250de4e07adf</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Nome registro: Application
Origine:       Application Error
Data:          28/02/2017 20:36:15
ID evento:     1000
Categoria attività:(100)
Livello:       Errore
Parole chiave: Classico
Utente:        N/D
Computer:      DESKTOP-F8M5DMO
Descrizione:
Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: fsx.exe, versione: 10.0.61637.0, timestamp: 0x46fadb14
Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: ntdll.dll, versione: 10.0.14393.479, timestamp: 0x58256ca0
Codice eccezione: 0xc0000374
Offset errore 0x000d9d11
ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0x1b88
Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d291f59e7644b2
Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\FSX\fsx.exe
Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
ID segnalazione: eb309613-a7de-4fd2-9d9a-9ece8224dc79
Nome completo pacchetto che ha generato l'errore:
ID applicazione relativo al pacchetto che ha generato l'errore:
XML evento:                                                                                                                      
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Application Error" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
    <Level>2</Level>
    <Task>100</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2017-02-28T19:36:15.680217400Z" />
    <EventRecordID>47132</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>DESKTOP-F8M5DMO</Computer>
    <Security />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data>fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>10.0.61637.0</Data>
    <Data>46fadb14</Data>
    <Data>ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>10.0.14393.479</Data>
    <Data>58256ca0</Data>
    <Data>c0000374</Data>
    <Data>000d9d11</Data>
    <Data>1b88</Data>
    <Data>01d291f59e7644b2</Data>
    <Data>C:\FSX\fsx.exe</Data>
    <Data>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll</Data>
    <Data>eb309613-a7de-4fd2-9d9a-9ece8224dc79</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

Many thanks in advance for any help

Gunbjo

1 hour ago, Gunbjo said:

I think I have the latest UIAutomation core.dll. There are 3 of them. 

Interesting comment.  For FSX (boxed version), there are only two versions (see page 26 of the AVSIM CTD Guide for the versions and links to download).  I have never ever needed the uiautomationcore.dll hack and I really do not think anyone should have another version in the main fsx folder unless the individual is having a problem with crashes caused by right clicking your mouse and selecting a menu item at least 19 times.  I cannot envision anyone right clicking their mouse to check out a menu item in the VC 19 times in any flight session.  That's the only cause that the uiautomationcore.dll in the main fsx folder fixes.  Nothing else.

When your FSX crashes, it will not state it was caused by the dll.xml.  The dll.xml is in the same folder as your fsx.cfg and it has entries for every module that has to load.  If one of those modules is corrupt or missing or out-of-date, FSX will crash but this normally occurs at startup.  It will also crash when the module is called by FSX during a flight.  This could happen in the case of FTX/Orbx scenery or FSDT scenery (less likely).

If you followed the AVSIM CTD Guide, you saw that on page 10 there is a section on how to fix almost all CTD's and Freezes.  It provides instructions for renaming or deleting your FSX.cfg and restarting FSX and letting the config rebuild.  This fixes most crashes as members put in tweaks that do not work and cause the crashes. It also changes your settings back to the default as high settings will cause fsx to crash with the ntdll.dll error.  The other fix is to move the dll.xml over to a temporary folder or rename it to dll.old, restarting fsx and seeing if the crashes stop (the dll.xml will not be rebuilt).  If there are no crashes, then it was a module in the dll.xml that caused the crash.  It also states to rename your scenery.cfg, restart fsx and let fsx rebuild your scenery.cfg back to the default scenery.cfg.  If that stops the ntdll.dll crashes, then there was a scenery that was causing your crashes.  As stated in the manual, MyTrafficX in the scenery.cfg causes the ntdll.dll error if you still have military traffic turned on.

Personally, whenever I get a crash, the first thing I do is to rename the fsx.cfg, the dll.xml, and the scenery.cfg.  Run FSX and the error is gone.  I return the scenery.cfg and there is still no error.  I return the dll.xml and suddenly I get the error so I have investigated and found that the dll.xml has a corrupted module.  The AVSIM CTD Guide provides instructions on disabling the modules one by one so you can find out which one is causing the crash.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Hello,

I just had this problem and I struggled with it for about three weeks.

I'm no computer expert at all, but this is what I learned from fixing my problem:

My problem was a constant ntdll.dll crash when using P3Dv3.  Mostly with the FSLabs A320, but later it also started happening with other aircraft also. I gave FSLabs a hard time because I was wrongly blaming the aircraft sim for the problem.

Word Not Allowed suggested that I replace all of my C++ and .NET files by downloading them from the Microsoft website.

I did that and amazingly enough I was able to do a full flight with the FSLabs A320 with no crash.

I then jumped into the PMDG 747QOTSII and the sim crashed after a few minutes with another ntdll.dll fault (checking in Windows log).

The unique thing about my problem was that I have FSXSE also installed on the same computer, but the FSLabs A320 never crashed when I used it in FSXSE.

This told me that the ntdll.dll file must not be corrupt, also my other programs running in the background must be ok, and whatever is the problem is with the P3Dv3 simulation itself.

I went ahead and downloaded the latest version of P3D and completely wiped out the existing installation, deleting any files in the AppData\Roaming and AppData\Local folders and the DLL.xml.

I then restarted my computer.

I made sure that I had the latest FSUIPC4 version also, because I would have to put it back in.

I reinstalled P3D after restarting my computer and again restarted after installing P3D.

I have completely cured my ntdll.dll crashes and have been flying the FSLabs A320 for hours without any problem.

The ntdll.dll is a system file that acts like a messenger between the running programs and Windows operating system, so it gets blamed for the crash in the Windows log, but the messenger is being beat up for something that is being caused by one of your programs.  Maybe a corrupt .dll within FSX or one of your addons or maybe another program running in the background.

The problem with an ntdll.dll crash, is that the fact that Windows log file is naming the ntdll.dll actually tells you very little and if other programs are running correctly, most likely there is nothing wrong with your ntdll.dll file itself. So now it is left to you to figure out what program is corrupt, with no other help than the ability to cleanly uninstall programs and troubleshoot by elimination.

In fact if there was a problem with the ntdll.dll file, Windows would not even run at all.

Make sure that when you uninstall FSX, you remove everything that has anything to do with the program, looking in AppData\Roaming and AppData\Local folders and the DLL.xml.

When everything that has anything to do with FSX is removed, restart your computer and re-install FSX.

Then re-start again.

Then start FSX before you install any addons, and choose a default aircraft and location and start a flight.  Fly for 30 or 40 minutes, or until you are sure that you do not have any crash (or until you get totally sick of flying a default aircraft).

Then start installing your addons one at a time, keeping your own log of which addon you install and trying FSX after each install.

Bob

Having Mr. NTDLL.DLL and API.DLL crash my party several times, I began to notice that they occur most often when the system is under high stress.. low level, payware airport, big city autogen, lots of clouds, bad weather, I'm clicking and working the systems for landing and then boom.  I think many of these crashes are due to the high level of stress a system endures running a flight sim suite, it's like prime95.  Unless you have a crash you can reproduce at will, it's possible your just finding the limits of your hardware.  The solution would be to reduce the load which boils down to moving sliders left.  Something to try.

AoA  is right on target with this answer. The error code indicates "heap corruption" which can be attributable to so many causes as to be almost impossible  to isolate a source. The causes range from poorly written  (or conflicting) 3rd party addons to bad device drivers, intrusive anti-virus  software, faulty overclocking, image quality settings set too high for one's  hardware and just plain exceeding the 4GB VAS  limitation.

Just searching  the official  Lockheed Martin forum will yield hundreds of posts regarding the ntdll.dll CTD with hardly any common solutions provided.

As Jim suggests, one can only methodically remove and add back various 3rd party products to the sim until the error stops occurring. 

Thanks a lot for very comprehensive answers. Never too late to learn what and how to do things. I'll start removing the UIAutomation  files and see what happens. I guess the second thing ought to be the xml.dll as it's mentioned in the eventlist. I have tried once flying the Caravan for about 1 hour without using IFR or any schedule and no CTD occured. So maybe it only happens with scheduled IFR flights.

Jim, I have no tweaks others than those suggested in your  tweak guide. When I have used the default SFX.CFG, FSX hasn't worked very well. I am still using  Bojote's .cfg with the changes suggested in your guide and it hasn't ever caused any problems as far as I can understand.

Bob, for not being a computer expert at all, you are pretty good in understanding the secret of computers, or rather how  the programs work.

AoA, My chrashes has happened more or less when  I have reached the final altitude so it shouldn't be very high stress there.

A thousend thanks to all of you for your very appreciated answers and comment.

Gunbjo

I have no other suggestions.  Bojote's tweaks were for earlier computer systems and not for modern systems.  When you go to Bojote's site and use the configurator, there is no guarantee the settings are correct.  I have had so many members who have posted here who had used the Bojote tweaks and they removed their fsx.cfg and had a new one rebuilt and the problems went away.  There is no system, even mine, that can run FSX/P3D with max settings with add-ons.  High settings are the main reason for the NTDLL.dll error.  Wish there were a solution like "change this line to this in your fsx.cfg" and everything would be well again but you have to investigate the scene of the crime or you will never solve this.  I provided the tools in the AVSIM CTD Guide.  Not much else I can do to help.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

One thing that you may find helpful is to track your crashes in a spreadsheet or something of that nature.  I don't believe you've posted your autogen settings, I've had good results backing those off (especially if you use ORBX, there's very little difference between the 3 highest settings) plus you'll be reducing your Out of Memory crash risk if you run some of the other more memory-intensive add-ons.

I had been experiencing a slew of ntdll.dll CTDs between building a new PC for FSX in July until about October.  It's quite frustrating anyway, but especially when you have a new rig that pretty much crushes the game - but I think the real issue is just the limits of the game's architecture.  The only fsx.cfg performance "tweaks" I use are highmemfix and affinitymask (I've had some issues without that one).

For what it's worth, in October I suspected MyTraffic6 was causing issues and I disabled it.  The crashes seemed to become more infrequent but they would still pop up occasionally until I backed off my autogen slider a little.  Since then I've had no ntdll.dll CTDs and only a handful of other crashes - one due to likely user error confusing my FMC, one due to what has since been confirmed as a bug in a 3rd party FMC, and a hang (the only one I've ever had).  I don't have my spreadsheet handy at the moment but this is order of magnitude about 250 hours over about a 100 flights nearly error-free.  Once in a great while it'll crash on exit but it's so infrequent as to be random so it doesn't really bother me.  I'm tempted to throw MT6 back in there and hoping I don't upset the apple cart.

Interestingly enough, my last ntdll crash before backing off my autogen happened somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic between Boston and Bermuda.  Since then I've done transcontinentals (memory hogging KLAX-KJFK flying over Chicago) and transatlantics (KJFK-EGLL) alike without a hitch.  I don't think we're ever supposed to fully understand why this thing does the things it does.

Christopher Sargeant | Worldwide Virtual WW2464

Spoiler

Sim PC Specs: i7-11700F @ 2.5 Ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB | 16 GB DDR4 SDRAM | Windows 11 Pro | P3D v5.3 hf2 | MSFS | TrackIR 5

Yes Jim, I know Bojote's is ment for earlier systems so what is suggested not to be good to have in the AvSim guides I have changed or deleted. As I said before I have been flying around  the whole of Africa  in a zigzag way spending certainly about 40 -50 hours without any issues and adding Middle-East and South Europe for  about 15-20 more hours before this happened. But I'll ceartainly follow your advises searching what can have gone wrong.

My settings are more or less like are suggested in AvSim, I guess.      Level of d-radius = medium,      Mesh complex. = 75,   Mesh resolution 10 m

texture res.  = 1 m,   water eff. =  1.x,       scenery comp = dense,         autogen density = very dense.

The autogen dens. I increased from "dense" to "very dense" but it was before the Africa tour.  My add-ons are FSGUX, UTX europe and Norh America, Scenery Tech landclass covering the rest and GEX. I also have IOS and IS3 to change the immage of the landscape but I don't think those will have any impact on CTD.+ The add-on airplane are only the DC-6 B and Hawker Heroes but yet no crash when using them. 

Anyhow I am more than satisfied with your and the others comments.  And thank you Sabretooth for telling me your experiences.

For information, I'm no Englisman but  a Swede so I am sorry to say that certain abbreviations I haven't the faintest idea what they mean, like Sabretooth's FMC.

Have many good flights

Gunbjo

Autogen is the biggest killer in fps and VAS usage than anything else so you have to be careful with this setting.  P3D is basically the FSX engine and, when P3D was first released (V1 or V2 - can't remember), it was discovered that P3D was running out of Virtual Address Space (VAS) fast with the density setting at very dense.  LM optimized the autogen and I that is resolved but FSX will never be fixed.  I know that GEX replaces your default textures with optimized textures and I know for a fact those textures will give you better performance.  I am not familiar with Scenery Tech Landclass but found the following link might be helpful in your configurations - http://www.simforums.com/forums/utx-after-scenery-tech_topic29310.html.  UTX Europe and North America were giving me issues so I use GEX without UTX.  There are some things you can do with UTX configuratiuon to make it work better with GEX performance wise (but that was the main reason I uninstalled it as the list of UTX config modifications were extensive) - http://www.simforums.com/forums/setup-utx-all-versions-update-new-lights-settings_topic46147.html.  You seem to have a good understanding of the GEX/UTX/Scenery Tech products so I'm probably preaching to the choir.

Long flights can cause the loss of Virtual Address Space (VAS).  It's not the fault of FSX as Microsoft Operating systems only give everyone 4 GB's of VAS max.  When your application uses up those 4 GB's or gets very low with remaining VAS, FSX will crash sometimes giving you an error message, sometimes not.  Page 16 of the AVSIM CTD Guide provides a procedure for monitoring VAS during a flight session so you can see exactly what you have left.  If it gets down to 200-300 MB's left, you will most likely crash. I am really shocked you are able to fly 15-20 hours or more.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

I am not sure you understood  my explanation of spent flyingtime. I usually try to limit each flight to 1 hour - 1 hour and a half, never more than 2 hours so these figures are the total sum before the crashes started. That's why I doubt my FSX.cfg would be the problem.

I thought the easiest way was to reduce the autogene setting and see what would happen and that seemed to have  solved the issue.But instead I got the message at the end leaving the flight "MFS has encountered a problem and will close". Well, I have only made one flight so far so I will make some more and see what will happen. I think it hard to belive it would be overloading the memory as it happened at that altitude. I'll check the VAS too anyway. I have never done it before.

I have been using UTX Europe for a long time without the GEX because later I read that someone thought it was good enough all by itself. So not long ago I bought UTX USA and GEX NA but I have only installed the UTX because I'll see what it looks like all alone. What bothers me with Scenery Tech is that at certain places where it ought to be only rural areas with very few buildings they have placed so many  buildings so it seems to be a sparse gardencity covering very big areas.  With the help of Instant Scenery3 I am changing some of them.

Thanks again for all your advices very appreciated

Gunbjo

Hi Gunbjo,

Sorry I misinterpreted your flight times.  I sort of see what you are saying now.  Still the ntdll.dll error can happen immediately without explanation.  Just needs a bad module in the dll.xml, a bad setting in the fsx.cfg, or high settings (which could be construed as the same as a bad setting in the fsx.cfg). 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Reading my own explanation I see I wasn't quite clear trying to tell you about  my flights. Anyhow I still get these freezes now and then and although they don't happen so often they appear at any time. I'll follow your advices moving the .cfg, the scenery,cfg and so on. It is written that DLL.XML and EXE.XML are in the same folder as SFX:CFG but I don't have any EXE.XML there. Can I find it in another folder or isn't it always needed.

Gunbjo

19 hours ago, Gunbjo said:

but I don't have any EXE.XML there

Think about the only developer that uses it is FS Dreamteam/FlightBeam.  So, if you do not have those products, it won't be there.

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks again for a quick answer. I checked the VAS with a flight between Stockholm and Oslo and it never falled under 2.2 GB.