Sign in to follow this  
BLACKCLIP

Xtreme prototypes GLJ25

@Rossco, thanks. I disengage the yaw damper when around 5 miles out as it's necessary to switch views to do it.

Regarding the landing procedures you must stop extremely quickly with all three engaged. I'm usually landing on 5000ft+ runways so have sufficient time to slow down. But on shorter ones all three will be helpful.

@J35OE, in the documentation there is a landing speed table for flaps 20 so it seems reasonable to use it. With 5000ft+ runways there is plenty of time to slow down too.

Landing weight is usually around 9000-10000lbs depending on load. I use the table in the docs to set my landing speed.

I'll try using the spoilers next time and minimise my use of reverse thrust, thanks.

One other thing. When I disengage the a/p the nose of the aircraft comes up quite significantly. Do others see this too? Is it realistic or a bug?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

1.in the documentation there is a landing speed table for flaps 20 so it seems reasonable to use it. With 5000ft+ runways there is plenty of time to slow down too.

2.Landing weight is usually around 9000-10000lbs depending on load. I use the table in the docs to set my landing speed.

3.One other thing. When I disengage the a/p the nose of the aircraft comes up quite significantly. Do others see this too? Is it realistic or a bug?

1. In the documention is a table for flaps UP as well and you don't use it 😉    5000ft is rather short for a high performance jet and the landing distance according to the manual at S.L. at minimum weight is already 4600ft and that's with full flaps!  On page 143 the manual also states;  The data assumes a full flaps landing, spoilers extended and thrust reversers deployed on touchdown and normal braking.

Another advantage when using a higher flap setting is the usually lower pitch attitude during the approach and better speed stability due to the noticable higher drag.

2. Since there are no landing distance tables for any other flap setting than 40deg and you are already operating on the aircraft limit if you land on a 5 or 6000ft runway, flap 20 is a bit like playing roulette. For jet ops you usually consider 10000ft runways 'long' runways.

3. This shouldn't happen, but if you are disengaging the AP with the Lear not being fully stabilized, (stabilized means e.g. no speed, no thrust and no attitude change) the airplane will be in an out of trim situation if you disenge it in this situation and this can cause the observed effect.

Edited by J35OE

2 hours ago, J35OE said:

1. In the documention is a table for flaps UP as well and you don't use it 😉    5000ft is rather short for a high performance jet and the landing distance according to the manual at S.L. at minimum weight is already 4600ft and that's with full flaps!  On page 143 the manual also states;  The data assumes a full flaps landing, spoilers extended and thrust reversers deployed on touchdown and normal braking.

Another advantage when using a higher flap setting is the usually lower pitch attitude during the approach and better speed stability due to the noticable higher drag.

2. Since there are no landing distance tables for any other flap setting than 40deg and you are already operating on the aircraft limit if you land on a 5 or 6000ft runway, flap 20 is a bit like playing roulette. For jet ops you usually consider 10000ft runways 'long' runways.

3. This shouldn't happen, but if you are disengaging the AP with the Lear not being fully stabilized, (stabilized means e.g. no speed, no thrust and no attitude change) the airplane will be in an out of trim situation if you disenge it in this situation and this can cause the observed effect.

I don't consider flaps 20 to be inappropriate for landing a small jet. 737s don't always land with full flaps. 30 over 40 is also used.

I also said 5000ft is the absolute minimum. More often it's 10,000ft as I have lots of 3rd party major airports.

The a/p had been operating for the majority of the flight so this upward movement when it's disengaged suggests this is a fault that needs correcting. There are several other bugs in the aircraft and the developers have indicated an autumn fix. Let's hope this is on the list.

I'll include raising the spoilers on landing on my checklist. Thanks.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

17 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I don't consider flaps 20 to be inappropriate for landing a small jet. 737s don't always land with full flaps. 30 over 40 is also used.

That's not a valid comparison since the 737 has a rather sophisticated double slotted high lift flap/slat system compared to the Learjets very simple single slot design.

Noise and fuel is big factor in airline ops. Flap 30 means less power needed, less fuel used, less drag, less noise, less flap cycles etc. 30deg is already a rather high drag setting and e.g. the lower 25deg setting isn't an approved flap setting.  

@J35OE,

Your taking this way too seriously for me. Thanks for your tips. Compared to flying my other aircraft - Concorde - this is a pretty simple aircraft. Should I run off the end of the runway I’ll admonish myself. 😃

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

Forgot to mention I do land with full flaps & have the yaw damper programmed to one of my old Saitek throttle switches which is mounted upside down beneath my PFC Throttle. Following closing the throttles I can easily reach the YD switch & as it sounds a horn at disconnect I can tell it has activated without taking my eyes from the runway.

Regarding the pitch up I have encountered this if I have allowed the aircraft to reach stall speed or close to it & the AP has automatically disengaged. Expect the AP has been trimming up to compensate for the slow speed. Haven't noticed it at any other stage.

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Hi Ross,

I had a couple of flights today and did land with full flaps. I’m intrigued how you have programmed a button to toggle the Yaw damper. It’s an internal Lear command and I did try to program it using advanced techniques but failed.

Try disconnecting the a/p when on the glide and localiser with APR mode engaged but manual control of throttles.

As soon as the a/p is disengaged there is a prominent pitch up movement. If I push the yoke forward the original pitch mode is achieved but it really shouldn’t be doing that on a quality addon. None of my other 3rd party aircraft have that problem.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,

I used SPADneXt to program it as it's an LVAR from memory. Have found this utility great for this type of programming. Can be done with FSUIPC however a bit more fiddly than SPAD. Also like the way I can program long & short button presses to create different commands.

Am not near my sim rig for the next couple of weeks so am unable to tell you which LVAR it is but from memory it was pretty easy to find.

I have also used SPAD to program two of my old inverted TQ levers to act as on/off levers for starting & shutting down the engines (use them for the B737 & B777 engine start/shut also). Again I think these were LVAR commands.

Not sure what's going on with the pitch up issue, maybe a reinstall might fix it however one thing I did pretty much straight away was to disable the auto throttle in the .cfg file as my throttle has a TOGA switch & I don't like the throttles going automatic on me. Maybe this has a bearing on your pitch problem? 

Cheers, Ross

i910900KF | ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme Z590 | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX3070 OC 8Gb | 32Gb G.Skill  Ripjaws DDR4 3200 I  Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing | Samsung SSD 870 1TB GB HD | WIN 10 64 Bit

Hi Ross, SPADneXt is not something I've come across. Given the developers have said they will look at making the Yaw Damper compatible with the default command in an autumn update there seems little point in me learning something new that may not be needed. I did try via FSUIPC but couldn't get it to work.

I have GoFlight modules and have two switches that mirror the engine starts.

The autothrottle / pitch up thing is odd. I have already disabled SPD so have manual control of power. Despite the aircraft being controlled by the APR mode which should mean it's trimmed correctly the issue persists. I think an email to the developers is needed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Ladies and Gentlemen, 

What coordinates do I need to put in the panel config file for my Weather Advantage Radar picture to display in the 3d cockpit where the current fake radar screen is? What size and pixel size works best? I'm running in 4k. 

I’m exhausted trying to figure it out. So far I’ have it displaying on about one inch of the left-hand side of the screen.

Certainly, I'm not the first XP LJ pilot to try this, lol. 

[Vcockpit01]

Background_color = 36,36,36

size_mm = 3840

visible = 1

pixel_size = 1024,1024

texture = $GLJ25_05_G_C

gauge00 = MV_WX!WX, ___,___,___,___,

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen

It's in the manual.

You should use Vcockpit 04, 05 or 06

I use 06:

[Vcockpit06]
file=$pan6.bmp
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024
texture=$pan6
//gauge00=RolASNRadar!ORadGauge,  7,109,1011,801, sweep|beam|icing
gauge00=MV_WX!WX, 7,109,1011,801,

Disregard the RoAsn Radar, that is for testing purposes.

Cheers,

Pîerre

Pierre

There are a few minor bugs with this otherwise excellent aircraft but there is one big one that I hope the authors will sort out.

If you save a flight and then load it the switch settings are not set correctly. I saved a flight 8 miles out for landing practice and the engine gen switches were off as was the Radio Master switch and FD. Consequently the Navigation instruments did not function until the switches were set correctly.

Disappointing for such a quality aircraft. The promised Autumn update must be due soon. I wonder if this problem will be addressed.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I love this aircraft especially version 2.1 😃

Thanks to Linda I could managed to control most of the switches to my Saitek autopilot panel and Saitek switch panel but I did not success to access the Inverters switches.

I wonder if someone did it?

si.php?id=1

On 11/7/2018 at 7:51 PM, Cool said:

I love this aircraft especially version 2.1 😃

Thanks to Linda I could managed to control most of the switches to my Saitek autopilot panel and Saitek switch panel but I did not success to access the Inverters switches.

I wonder if someone did it?

Hi Cool,

I have the Primary & Secondary Inverters individually programmed to one of my Saitek Switch Panels (I have two) using Spad.neXt. If you are trying to locate the LVAR it's Centralelectricalpanelbottomsecondary(/primary)inverterswitchleverposition. I change the value to 20 for on & 0 for off.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ross

Thank you Ross for your reply 😉

I have got these lua parameters but they does not work for me in V2.1....I don't know why

si.php?id=1