Sign in to follow this  
Barak381

[P3D PMDG 777] Two interesting approaches recorded last week

Hello Fellas,

Would like to attach two videos recorded last week flying real time flights with the 777.

One is approaching and landing at Paris CDG While "interesting" winds of storm Doris are in full affect, and the second one is approaching and landing runway 09L at London's Heathrow with a bit of a crosswind.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please feel free to leave comments about the flight or recording.

Enjoy your weekend,

Barak

Great show!,

I had you a little low coming across the threshold. With long bodied aircraft, you want to be tracking an aimpoint of 1500ft down. This will give you a visual of about 2 whites 1 pink and 1 red. At the 100ft callout, the threshold should be just dropping below your glareshield. If it's still insight below 100ft, you are low. Just some tips for ya. If you see a situation in which you are on the glideslope, but appear low, adjust your aimpoint to 1500ft and 3.0 glidepath when safe to do so. It's not uncommon for the visual glideslope and ILS to be different real world. In sims, this could happen with third party scenery.

12 hours ago, G550flyer said:

Great show!,

I had you a little low coming across the threshold. With long bodied aircraft, you want to be tracking an aimpoint of 1500ft down. This will give you a visual of about 2 whites 1 pink and 1 red. At the 100ft callout, the threshold should be just dropping below your glareshield. If it's still insight below 100ft, you are low. Just some tips for ya. If you see a situation in which you are on the glideslope, but appear low, adjust your aimpoint to 1500ft and 3.0 glidepath when safe to do so. It's not uncommon for the visual glideslope and ILS to be different real world. In sims, this could happen with third party scenery.

Hey,

First of all, thank you for the inputs :-)

May I ask you just to be sure, are you referring to the first or second video ?

Greetings,

mostly your first video. If the main guidance panel glareshield is at eye level, you will have the pilots section sloping down to the left. When I flew DC10s, the threshold would be out of sight at 100ft. In the 777, with guidance panel at eye level, the sloping portion should be through the middle of the threshold at the 100ft call out. At the 50ft call out, the threshold should be out of view. Again, this is just a tip.

There is something strange in your second video. You show above glide slope, but the PAPI have you low. Is this a custom scenery?

11 hours ago, G550flyer said:

Greetings,

mostly your first video. If the main guidance panel glareshield is at eye level, you will have the pilots section sloping down to the left. When I flew DC10s, the threshold would be out of sight at 100ft. In the 777, with guidance panel at eye level, the sloping portion should be through the middle of the threshold at the 100ft call out. At the 50ft call out, the threshold should be out of view. Again, this is just a tip.

There is something strange in your second video. You show above glide slope, but the PAPI have you low. Is this a custom scenery?

Thank you so much for the inputs. Apperciate it.

Intersting you have mentioned it, Both are custom sceneries actually.

I know it sounds a bit of a longshot but I think that the strong winds (especially gusts) affects the F/D and the indications. As you can see, there was a constant mismatch between the PAPI lights and the indications on the PFD. I usually try to follow the rule of 50 above the threshold and to rely more on the F/D and indications on the screen over the PAPI until the really late stages when the approach turns into a sort of a visual one, since they are not reliable quite often for some reason.

On the first recroding (Heathrow's 09L) I was a bit below the GS at times so your view proportions makes sense, but again as I was getting closer to the THR, there was a clear mismatch between the PAPI and the indications on the PFD. That's why I reached 50' AGL maybe 2-3 seconds short.

As for the second recrding, following your comments I have reviewed the Paris CDG ILS 26L chart and according to it, at D2.0 the right altitude is 960'. By looking at the video, it was roundabout 970', while getting 2 red and 2 whites. It also suggets D1.1 at the Minimums, although I checked the recording and was at 700', around 180' above the Minimums, while getting 3 reds on the PAPI. At the OM by the way, the altitude was accurate and the PAPI lights as well.

If you look at this approach (ILS CAT I) at Tel-Aviv, which is also covered by a custom scenrey with no wind, everything seems to fall in place (screen indications vs. PAPI lights):

All the best,

Barak

On 3/3/2017 at 7:39 AM, Barak381 said:

As for the second recrding, following your comments I have reviewed the Paris CDG ILS 26L chart and according to it, at D2.0 the right altitude is 960'. By looking at the video, it was roundabout 970', while getting 2 red and 2 whites. It also suggets D1.1 at the Minimums, although I checked the recording and was at 700', around 180' above the Minimums, while getting 3 reds on the PAPI. At the OM by the way, the altitude was accurate and the PAPI lights as well.

If you look at 7:47 in the second video, 1 white 3 red, and you are on the slope per GS indicator(strange). At 8:03, you are above the slope, 1 white 3 red. And finally at 8:17 you are a dot above the slope, but PAPI still show you with 1 white and 3 red. That's what is catching my eye. I think there is something strange with the scenery. 

23 hours ago, G550flyer said:

If you look at 7:47 in the second video, 1 white 3 red, and you are on the slope per GS indicator(strange). At 8:03, you are above the slope, 1 white 3 red. And finally at 8:17 you are a dot above the slope, but PAPI still show you with 1 white and 3 red. That's what is catching my eye. I think there is something strange with the scenery. 

Yes, exactly what I have mentioned in the last post. Absolutely strange.