Sign in to follow this  
Rhinozherous

AVSIMs "Whats new" and own Posts section?

I loved the old windows on top of the forum, where we could see the last 10 or 15 new topics and the last 5 or so topics we have made a post to.

Will they come back in the future? 

Thanks!

• Upvote 5

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

10 minutes ago, Rhinozherous said:

I loved the old windows on top of the forum, where we could see the last 10 or 15 new topics and the last 5 or so topics we have made a post to.

Will they come back in the future? 

Thanks!

+1

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

This has been discussed several times.  It may come back but the site is still being upgraded.  What's wrong with clicking on and reading "unread content" in which you can set what is displayed and what is not displayed?  Please give us some time to complete the upgrade (at 91.7% complete on rebuilding posts then images, media, and other objects must be rebuilt).  The upgrade is working in the background so you can read and reply to posts.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

12 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

This has been discussed several times.  It may come back but the site is still being upgraded.  What's wrong with clicking on and reading "unread content" in which you can set what is displayed and what is not displayed?  Please give us some time to complete the upgrade (at 91.7% complete on rebuilding posts then images, media, and other objects must be rebuilt).  The upgrade is working in the background so you can read and reply to posts.

Best regards,

Jim

The problem on my side is not all my posts are present when I select ownership for posts I've posted in.  The threads are still there just not associated with my account.  Also there is no way to automatically refresh the page once you set a filter.  The URL changes at the top to reflect the changes you want  to make but I have to go and actually select the URL and press Enter.  Maybe this is a limitation in Chrome idk.  And since the update I have posted in a lot more than two threads but thats all that is showing up also.

33195925835_65aacdbe3d_o.png

32813331490_ce8cea588b_o.png

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

5 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

The threads are still there just not associated with my account.  Also there is no way to automatically refresh the page once you set a filter.

Once you select 'content I have posted in', you hit the F5 key to refresh and it should provide you all of the posts. 

7 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

Maybe this is a limitation in Chrome idk.

This site is the latest and greatest of all websites and is being upgraded to handle all of the latest browsers and technology being used to view websites.  Before the upgrade we were getting compatibility problems.  I think our last version was dated in 2009 when the site was rebuilt after the unsuccessful attempt to destroy AVSIM. 

When the site is fully upgraded, we will then be looking at the capabilities the update provides.  I personally think the OP's request can be accomplished but we are not going to mess with that until later.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

49 minutes ago, Jim Young said:

Once you select 'content I have posted in', you hit the F5 key to refresh and it should provide you all of the posts. 

This site is the latest and greatest of all websites and is being upgraded to handle all of the latest browsers and technology being used to view websites.  Before the upgrade we were getting compatibility problems.  I think our last version was dated in 2009 when the site was rebuilt after the unsuccessful attempt to destroy AVSIM. 

When the site is fully upgraded, we will then be looking at the capabilities the update provides.  I personally think the OP's request can be accomplished but we are not going to mess with that until later.

Best regards,

Jim

1) Maybe instead of having to hit refresh maybe a "Apply Filters" Button.  As the refresh button is not working correctly with selections.  I make all my selections and press 'F5' and only one correction is made to the selections.

2) The filter it still missing posts I have made even as recent as a few days ago and certainly not all the posts I have made in all the threads like it should.  I set the Filter to Read Status to Everything and then Ownership to What I posted in and it only goes back 6 days after I selected Load More Activity.  Now at the bottom it says "There's no more activity to display"

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

2 minutes ago, thibodba57 said:

then Ownership to What I posted in and it only goes back 6 days after I selected Load More Activity

Our upgrade started about six days ago.  Maybe that's the reason.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Agree with the OP, hope it gets added back in, that is what I would check each day and it was a really nice feature.

Thanks!

On 3/1/2017 at 5:45 PM, thibodba57 said:

The filter it still missing posts I have made even as recent as a few days ago and certainly not all the posts I have made in all the threads like it should.  I set the Filter to Read Status to Everything and then Ownership to What I posted in and it only goes back 6 days after I selected Load More Activity.  Now at the bottom it says "There's no more activity to display"

I agree with the OP too. 

I do want to mention that if I go to my profile (far upper right) then there is a button in the lower right corner of the large black header box that says "See my activity".  This is giving me many, perhaps all, of my old posts going back to 2011.

Also just noted I can see some or all topics I started by clicking on "Topics" on the left.  Not sure if any are missing but I don't start many new topics so it's probably complete.

Mike

Edited by Mike777
additional information
  • Upvote 1

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

2 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

I agree with the OP too. 

I do want to mention that if I go to my profile (far upper right) then there is a button in the lower right corner of the large black header box that says "See my activity".  This is giving me many, perhaps all, of my old posts going back to 2011.

Mike

That works, but is every post rather than organized by every thread like it used to be.  But definitely a step in the right direction, thanks!

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Also, on the former forum, whenever I clicked on a thread it took me to where I left off.  Now when I click on a thread, it brings me back to the first post.  Is there a setting to modify this behavior?

5 minutes ago, Greggy_D said:

Also, on the former forum, whenever I clicked on a thread it took me to where I left off.  Now when I click on a thread, it brings me back to the first post.  Is there a setting to modify this behavior?

On the Unread Content page there is a blue dot next to the topic name.  In fact it took me right to your post just now!  Also the new notification of your post in "Notifications" by my profile took me right here.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

3 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

On the Unread Content page there is a blue dot next to the topic name. 

Perfect.  This is what I was looking for.  Thank you.

5 hours ago, Greggy_D said:

Perfect.  This is what I was looking for.  Thank you.

That "little blue dot" has been there for at least the past six years or thereabouts... :laugh:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator