Sign in to follow this  
N11369

Piper Seneca I

Greetings,

Just wondering if there is a nice realistic version of a Piper Seneca out there to try out?  Preferably, the Seneca I.  

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Piper Seneca.jpg

David Russell

Commercial Pilot

Airplane Single Engine Land Instrument Airplane

Carenado has several variants at Carenado.com.  Also check out the AVSIM Carenado Forums for discussions about each.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim. I'll take a look around.  

David Russell

Commercial Pilot

Most Senecas for FSX are either the Seneca II or the Seneca V, which will probably be important to you personally if you have experience of flying an original variant, since as you may know, the original Piper Seneca handles differently. It was in fact the slightly iffy handling of the original Seneca, and comments about that from pilots, which prompted Piper to introduce a slightly aerodynamically revised Seneca II in 1975, although apart from it handling better, the Seneca II is basically the same as the original Seneca.

Just in case you're unsure of the additional variant differences...

The Seneca II was produced until the early 80s, when it was revised into the Seneca III (aka the 200T version), which has different (more powerful) engines than the Seneca II but is otherwise the same aerodynamically. In the mid '90s, a revitalised Piper company made the Seneca IV (which was a bit more economical in cruise owing to a redesign of the engine cowling shape). Then, not content to stop there, they had another stab at doing that cowling redesign yet again in the late 90s, also changing the engine variant inside that newly-revised cowling shape, and giving the cockpit a bit of a makeover; they moved some of the switches which were originally located on the front panel, up to the overhead, and that resulted in the Seneca V variant. 

As far as FSX versions of the Seneca go, Carenado have made two variants of the Seneca (the II and the V). Like most Carenado aeroplanes for FSX, all of them are very pretty and well modelled, but not all of them have great flight models, although in the case of both their Senecas, they actually do have good flight models, so you're in luck with them both. Just Flight also made a Seneca II as part of their original 'Flying Club' DVD boxed set (it was/is also available on its own), although you should be aware that it has been around since (I think) about 2009, so it's not (nor ever was) as pretty as the Carenado one, although to be fair, the Carenado Seneca II dates from 2010, so it is pretty old as well. Having said that, you do tend to find that older add-ons can have the benefit of running very well on your computer since they tend to have a few less whistles and bells than contemporary add-ons, so just because something is old or not as fancy visually doesn't mean it is always a bad thing, after all, it's how it flies and how it runs in FSX which is what really matters.

The Just Flight one does fly quite nicely, but unless the considerably lower price of the JF Seneca II is a critical factor in your choice (i.e. it is about half the price of the Carenado Seneca II), then you'll probably get more joy out of the Carenado Seneca II. The Carenado Seneca V, whilst nice, is probably a bit too different from the original Seneca to suit what you're after if you are hoping to simulate what you are used to flying for real.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I have the Carenado Seneca II for FSX.  It is one of Carenado's older releases, so it does not have 2048 or 4096 textures, but it still looks good.  The cockpit does not feature 3D gauges and knobs, but again, it looks pretty good and it has an aged appearance.  The flight model actually seems to be pretty close to what pilot's report about the real Seneca II.  Carenado's Seneca II also includes two models, one with 2-blade props and the other has 3-blade props.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Really appreciate all the feedback.  It really help clear the muddy waters. 

David Russell

Commercial Pilot