Sign in to follow this  
Kuragiman

X-Plane 11 - WHOA... I Stand Corrected

Those following along on my adventures of converting from P3D to X-Plane know I have been a vocal complainer about the short comings of X-Plane 11.  P3D is still an outstanding platform with its on curious flaws.   I didn't think X-Plane11 could top my setup in P3D.  I stand corrected by today's flights out of Houston and Love Field in Dallas.   This was my first time playing with Ortho scenery creation too.   That view out of KDAL.. OMG...  that is beauty.

Early morning arrival into KHOU-Hobby via RWY 4.

B733_2.png

The Flair!

B733_3.png

Turn around complete at KHOU!  UP UP AND AWAY!

B733_4.png

Leaving KDAL-Love Field over downtown Dallas with ZL17 Ortho underlayment and Autogen set to High (Can't do Max.  Not enough VRAM on the video card).   JUST.....   WOW.    P3D CANNOT do this and give me 30 FPS solid.  X-Plane 11 can.  Impressed.

B733_10.png

• Upvote 2

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

15 minutes ago, Kuragiman said:

Those following along on my adventures of converting from P3D to X-Plane know I have been a vocal complainer about the short comings of X-Plane 11.  P3D is still an outstanding platform with its on curious flaws.   I didn't think X-Plane11 could top my setup in P3D.  I stand corrected by today's flights out of Houston and Love Field in Dallas.   This was my first time playing with Ortho scenery creation too.   That view out of KDAL.. OMG...  that is beauty.

Early morning arrival into KHOU-Hobby via RWY 4.

B733_2.png

The Flair!

B733_3.png

Turn around complete at KHOU!  UP UP AND AWAY!

B733_4.png

Leaving KDAL-Love Field over downtown Dallas with ZL17 Ortho underlayment and Autogen set to High (Can't do Max.  Not enough VRAM on the video card).   JUST.....   WOW.    P3D CANNOT do this and give me 30 FPS solid.  X-Plane 11 can.  Impressed.

B733_10.png

Nice shots! Default weather?

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

Great shots. All that's missing is a good air traffic plugin (hopefully World Traffic 3 when its released fills that niche).

1 hour ago, steve310002 said:

Great shots. All that's missing is a good air traffic plugin (hopefully World Traffic 3 when its released fills that niche).

Yeah.  I hope so too.   But that is not all that is missing for me.   The weather engines out there are FAR below the standards I am use to with the likes of AS16.   Also, the offline ATC sucks, period.  There is no way around that.   Everyone tells me it's on par with FSX's default ATC.  WRONG.   It is terrible and there are no good solutions for that that don't require you jury rigging stuff together.    We need a good solid program like Pro/ATC-X that can work with not only your craft but be aware of AI craft as well.

We also need airport designers to stop being lazy.   So many airports have no taxi routing that ATC could even use at this point and for some reason there is this menality in the X-Plane community when developing an airport to only put a few of the gates as spawn points at airports.  Please, STOP.    If you are going to make the airport then make the WHOLE airport.    Hell I even have some airports that look really good but the design makes like.. 5 starting spots and none of them are at the gates..  it's on the RAMP.   @_@   Why?   You have gone that far to make this airport look authentic then you screw us on the gate starting points.   It's just a mess.

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

15 minutes ago, Kuragiman said:

xEnviro is calling the shots with HD Clouds 2.0.

Superb!

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

59 minutes ago, Kuragiman said:

We also need airport designers to stop being lazy.   So many airports have no taxi routing that ATC could even use at this point and for some reason there is this menality in the X-Plane community when developing an airport to only put a few of the gates as spawn points at airports.  Please, STOP.    If you are going to make the airport then make the WHOLE airport.    Hell I even have some airports that look really good but the design makes like.. 5 starting spots and none of them are at the gates..  it's on the RAMP.   @_@   Why?   You have gone that far to make this airport look authentic then you screw us on the gate starting points.   It's just a mess.

I share in your frustration, but let us stop and think for a second that a good portion of the redone airports for XP (redone as in beyond what default provides), are free.  They aren't asking for a single dime, so we should really be thankful for what we can get right now.  At the same time, before coming down on designers being lazy, have you scanned through the org for the routes?  I have seen quite a few postings there that have folks uploading taxi routes that are separate from the airport itself.

I've been curious about learning how to design an airport in XP, and I do see quite a few tutorials around the net, but the last thing I would personally do is come down on designers for being lazy because they failed to model or code their airport completely.  Like the old saying goes, if you want something done right, you do it yourself, but if it isn't your cup of tea, be respectful to those who have created something for our use.

Now, if it's payware we are talking about, then yes, I think there is sufficient argument to getting the developer to add those sorts of things, but there may also be a legitimate reason why they were left out in the first place.  We are still talking about a beta sim here, and perhaps there are still some unfinished things going on that may impact the code for the designers.

As for the rendering quality and realism of the environment to P3D, there is no comparison.  Visually, yes they are worlds apart, and there is good reason for that, but as for what goes on behind the scenes, one is constrained to certain limits while the other is not.  I moved away from P3D permanently, a while ago and I never looked back, and it was mainly due to the immersive environment that XP provides, with minimal fuss and effort.  Despite the shortcomings of XP right now, given sufficient time, everything will get addressed.

• Upvote 2

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

Beautiful shots!  I agree, there is no comparison to P3D visually.  Have not used or purchased anything for P3D in ages.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

10 hours ago, Jimm said:

I share in your frustration, but let us stop and think for a second that a good portion of the redone airports for XP (redone as in beyond what default provides), are free.  They aren't asking for a single dime, so we should really be thankful for what we can get right now.  At the same time, before coming down on designers being lazy, have you scanned through the org for the routes?  I have seen quite a few postings there that have folks uploading taxi routes that are separate from the airport itself.

I have.  90% of the airports I fly to in the US, MAJOR airports have nothing that I could find on X-Plane.org.    And a majority of the airports I have download have no ATC routing, limited gate access and poor spawn positioning.    I have designed airports for FSX/P3D, for free, and do a through and complete job before releasing the product.   These are my expectations.  If you are going to take up the mantel of making a freeware airport then see it through to the very end with all necessary data for the airport to interact fully with with simulation you are creating the scenery for.   Lazy maybe a harsh word that may not describe most of the short comings I see from the X-Plane design community but certainly not completing their projects is easily evident.  They are making them 'Just Good Enough' but really it is not good enough.  They aren't fully functional.      I cannot think of ANY reason why you would not put all the gates for the airport as spawnable.   I know the #1 reason it is done is because they place static aircraft at the gates to give the illusion of a busy airport.    They leave a few gates open for each carrier.    Which is an okay practice I suppose.    It gets the job done... but some people don't make any gates at all, just Ramp starts.  This is hugely immersion breaking for airline pilots.    There should ALWAYS be gate parking or true ramp parking (not the active taxi part of the ramp) for commercial liners when it's a major airport.     

That being said...  the silver lining is.. I can take all these airports that look good but have short comings and practicing making parking and ATC taxi routes that function.   I just don't like having to do other people's work for them but looks like I'll have to if I want all the cake and eat it too.    :)

100454.png

Brian Navy

Looks awesome Brian - I always have to take a second look with XP shots and videos - amazes me how real they look

Rich Sennett

Fantastic shots.

I know what you mean about the limited gates etc. But hopefully that will change with XP11. It looks like there are going to be AI traffic able to spawn at normal gates etc. So airports will require some retooling but its VERY easy to do. Can't upload to the gateway yet with these changes as the newest WED is still in Beta too so once it gets finalised I will rework parking on stuff I have done before. Just be Prepar3d to fix issues with existing downloads/gateway scenery as they have more stringent requirements and/or rules that were changed to fix problems with existing scenery so those problems have to be corrected before the scenery can be put forth again on the gateway. 

Everything is in flux right now just give it a year or so to stabilise or make the changes yourself.

2 hours ago, Slayer said:

Fantastic shots.

I know what you mean about the limited gates etc. But hopefully that will change with XP11. It looks like there are going to be AI traffic able to spawn at normal gates etc. So airports will require some retooling but its VERY easy to do. Can't upload to the gateway yet with these changes as the newest WED is still in Beta too so once it gets finalised I will rework parking on stuff I have done before. Just be Prepar3d to fix issues with existing downloads/gateway scenery as they have more stringent requirements and/or rules that were changed to fix problems with existing scenery so those problems have to be corrected before the scenery can be put forth again on the gateway. 

Everything is in flux right now just give it a year or so to stabilise or make the changes yourself.

I've already started modifying the airports I have downloaded, making a secondary version for use when World Traffic 3 arrives.   These updated versions remove ALL static planes from the main terminal and cargo areas so WT3 can spawn in traffic  with no overlapping live traffic with static aircraft.

100454.png

Brian Navy

2 hours ago, Richard Sennett said:

Looks awesome Brian - I always have to take a second look with XP shots and videos - amazes me how real they look

Yeah... when I took off with my test Ortho scenery for DFW I had a big grin on my face... "THIS is what I've always wanted my sim to look like."    Now.. give me the PMDG 737 700/800NG and I'll be perfectly happy.   The IEXG 300 is pretty dang fun to fly though I have to admit, even with the XP11 bugs.

• Upvote 1

100454.png

Brian Navy