Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[02MAR17] Bring on the Updates!

Captains,

A quick update for you to bring you what we hope will be exciting news.

Over the next couple of days, we are going to begin the process of updating the PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II product line with updates chock full of changes, improvements and fixes.

This update process is going to be a bit different than what you are used to- since you will be getting these updates from us directly via the Operations Center!

The long awaited micro-update capability that we have been working toward for the past couple of years is finally about to arrive, and we think it is going to completely change your relationship with your PMDG products.

In the past, we have had to update our products by pushing out new installers with all of the changes packed inside.  This has required that every customer re-download the installer, soaking up as much as 1GB per update cycle, along with the associated cost of bandwidth and the inevitable risks of "oops... we need to update again because we goofed up on something minor..."  This meant long waits for updates, some inflexibility in our update methodology, and an inability to react quickly to fixes that might have been simple for us to effect on our end.

With our new update process however, you will be able to keep constantly up-to-date with changes we make, whether they be monthly, weekly, daily or heck- even hourly if the reason presented itself.  The update process will analyze your current product state and download the update right to your machine by targeting only the bits that change, thus avoiding long download periods for you or requiring complete reinstallation of the entire product package.

The updaters have been under testing with our teams throughout the latter half of the PMDG 747-400 Queen of the Skies II beta testing period, and we are pretty certain you will like this new methodology just as much as our beta testers have enjoyed it!

Even more exciting, we will soon be updating the 777 and the NGX to use the same methodology, thus allowing us to easily push out some updates and changes to those product lines that might otherwise not be feasible for a cost or capability standpoint.

We ran one last all-up test on this new capability on Monday night- and there is NO TRUTH to the fact that we put so much testing load on it that the US Northeast Region Amazon AWS cloud system crashed under the strain.  (Any relationship between the previous sentence and the truth is purely accidental...)

We hope to push the first update to you in the coming days- along with information specific to the update itself and what it contains.  (No need to ask "did X get changed?" because we will give you that information at a later time...)

Enjoy your thursday- we will be back with more news shortly!

• Upvote 16

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

WOW very nice! Happy to hear that besides the Queen, 777 and the NGX will get updates soon too :D

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Will the NGX update also contain the cockpit geometry fix? Eagerly waiting for that one!! Immersion would increase from 99.98% to 1000% for sure.

Let's lose this A320 Space cockpit and get crammed up.

I9 12900K @ 5.1ghz P-cores/ 4.0 ghz E-cores fixed HT off / Corsair iCue H150i Capellix Cooler/ MSI Z690 CARBON WiFi / 32GB Corsair DDR5 RAM @ 5200 mhz XMP on / 12GB MSI 4090 RTX Ventus 3 / 7,5 total TB SSD (2+2+2+1+0,5 all NVMe)/ PSU 850W Corsair / 27" (1080P)

That's great news! Thanks looking forward to the updates

Great news and another reason to buy PMDG. The Queen is a great old gal and I love her but can your updater update me. At 73 I sure could use one. 

• Upvote 5

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Very nice to have those updates more directly, that will be so much easier :)

Other than RAAS volume bug, what else could there be to fix with the 744v3?

• Upvote 1

spacer.png

Robert, I wholeheartedly hope that in the first update you will include the issue of the increasing thrust at takeoff in HOLD mode (see ticket and post in the forum), it's a quite heavy bug that makes the airplane takeoff at a power 2-4% higher than it should...

Thank you!

James Goggi

33 minutes ago, jgoggi said:

Robert, I wholeheartedly hope that in the first update you will include the issue of the increasing thrust at takeoff in HOLD mode (see ticket and post in the forum), it's a quite heavy bug that makes the airplane takeoff at a power 2-4% higher than it should...

Thank you!

When it comes to being convincing, hyperbole is usually the worst way to get your point across. It is a bug, yes. A 'heavy' bug because N1 target is exceeded by 0.3% (as shown by your own screenshots in the ticket - not 2-4%) is...well...a level of hyperbole I haven't seen in a while (in this case, nearly by a factor of ten).

The same could be said for ignoring someone's note to not drop in the "is X fixed" or the similar enough "I hope X is fixed." Paul addressed your ticket directly and rather clearly ("OK I have passed this information along to the development team to look into. Hopefully we can figure out what is causing it and correct for the next update."). No need to bring it up in multiple spots, particularly when advised against such behavior.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Rodgers

Hi Kyle, sorry for my request, I had read Robert's post quickly and that "don't post requests" had escaped. Anyway an N1 of 102 when it should be 100 looks to me as 2%, not 0.2. Sorry again, if you wish please delete my post.

James Goggi