Sign in to follow this  
rsrandazzo

[02MAR17] Bring on the Updates!

2 minutes ago, jgoggi said:

Hi Kyle, sorry for my request, I had read Robert's post quickly and that "don't post requests" had escaped. Anyway an N1 of 102 when it should be 100 looks to me as 2%, not 0.2. Sorry again, if you wish please delete my post.

The images I saw (in one of the later posts in the thread), the values were something like 98.0% and 98.3%. Regardless, 'heavy' bug at 2% is still a bit of a stretch unless the issue was a literal showstopper. A bug? Yes. That's all it needs to be, you'd already pointed it out in the support system, and it was acknowledged. Let it be.

Kyle Rodgers

"and we think it is going to completely change your relationship with your PMDG products."

As if the relationship it wasn't brilliant enough already!

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Sounds like a major improvement!

I do have a question:

Will updates overwrite panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg files without warning?  I am asking because I make minor modifications to these files, such as resizing the CDUs to make them easier for me to read, adding gauges such as a freeware radar gauge, and adding lines that allow me to make hotkeys control the VC views to my liking.

Thanks,

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Nice one!

Thanks for the update, Robert.

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

18 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

Will updates overwrite panel.cfg and aircraft.cfg files without warning?  I am asking because I make minor modifications to these files, such as resizing the CDUs to make them easier for me to read, adding gauges such as a freeware radar gauge, and adding lines that allow me to make hotkeys control the VC views to my liking.

Yep.

If we gave users the option to not overwrite files, we'd end up supporting a bunch of non-standard installations that didn't get updated properly.

Just back up your cfg files and copy in the changes only after updating.

Kyle Rodgers

8 minutes ago, scandinavian13 said:

Yep.

If we gave users the option to not overwrite files, we'd end up supporting a bunch of non-standard installations that didn't get updated properly.

Just back up your cfg files and copy in the changes only after updating.

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for your quick response.

It's really the "without warning" issue that concerns me.  I certainly wouldn't expect to have an option to not overwrite files and I can see how that would create chaos for you.  I have backups of the modifications I mentioned.  But I would like some warning from the OC before an update happens - something similar to the messages that now show up in the OC on startup.  Otherwise I would wind up starting FSX, loading an aircraft and finding that a gauge/resize/hotkey I count on no longer was present.

The OC might just show that I no longer have the latest version and ask me if I want to update (as it does now) -- the display of such update notices might itself be an option that can be turned off.

Thanks,

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

16 minutes ago, Mike777 said:

But I would like some warning from the OC before an update happens - something similar to the messages that now show up in the OC on startup.

This is how it currently behaves. Seems like we're talking about different topics here. Earlier you'd mentioned overwriting specific files without warning. It will not warn you about the specific files that will be updated/overwritten (which is what I answered for). What you're speaking to, however, has less to do with specific files, and more to do with a prompt to begin the entire update.

Right now (for you all), it alerts you to a new version and, should you choose to update, directs you to the website if you choose to update.

In the updated version, it alerts you to a new version and, should you choose to update, it runs the updater and downloads all the new and updated files.

Kyle Rodgers

1 minute ago, scandinavian13 said:

In the updated version, it alerts you to a new version and, should you choose to update, it runs the updater and downloads all the new and updated files.

Sounds good to me!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi,

Very happy to hear this new feature. As I said earlier back when you first announced it that this is a major improvement to both the product itself and also customer satisfaction.

And I supposed there will be a list of new features in the T7 and 737 when it is close to being release?

Cheers!
Hoang Le

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

that's awesome news, one question though: will updated full installers still be available or is the updating process ONLY gonna work through the OC in the future? 

5 minutes ago, TheLurk said:

that's awesome news, one question though: will updated full installers still be available or is the updating process ONLY gonna work through the OC in the future?

I believe that they'll be available, yeah. That way people who purchase after the release will just immediately have the current version.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Rodgers

Improving on perfection is somewhat of an oxymoron but, once again, PMDG has proved it can be done. Every time I think that your efforts can't get any better they do!

A tip of the hat from an avid supporter 

The news of updates coming for the NGX and 777 are very welcome. It's nice that 2/3 of the planes I fly are getting a freshening up. 

• Upvote 1

Eric 

The way I'm reading RSR's post about the updates to the NGX & 777 is more 'infrastructure' wise so that should any updates be made they can be distributed rather than confirmation of updates to those products. As far as I'm aware, the NGX cockpit geometry is known about but was a design 'compromise' to get the HGS system to function, so fixing that would be a major under taking (not that I'd complain about an update :cool:)

• Upvote 1

Alaister Kay