Sign in to follow this  
romangeber

Power consumption i7 7700k and 1080GTX

Hi,

I'm looking for some power consumption figures from users who run an i7 7700K (maybe 6700K) system with a high end Nvidia GTX GPU (1080 or 980).

The max. consumption values are in the specs but I'd like to know how much a system like that uses in the real world. And then of course there's all the rest using power. That total average is what I'm interested in.

Right now I run P3D and X-Plane on a beefy gaming laptop that uses around 160W. Performance is good but of course a tower would allow for more eyecandy. However, I'd hate to find myself holding a huge electricity bill at the end of the year.

It'd also be very nice to know how big a difference it makes when overclocking the system.

Thank you very much in advance.

cu
Roman

3 hours ago, romangeber said:

I'm looking for some power consumption figures from users who run an i7 7700K (maybe 6700K) system with a high end Nvidia GTX GPU (1080 or 980).

Roman, this should give you what you need: http://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator.

• Upvote 1

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

One of the things that I noticed (and posted about), was that if I locked my P3D frames to 30, my 4790k (locked at 4.2 ghz) and 1070 were drawing about 161 watts.  If I increased to unlimited frames, I saw 230.  So, on approach and departure, I change to unlimited.  Once cruising, I dial it back.

• Upvote 1

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

4 hours ago, bic said:

One of the things that I noticed (and posted about), was that if I locked my P3D frames to 30, my 4790k (locked at 4.2 ghz) and 1070 were drawing about 161 watts.  If I increased to unlimited frames, I saw 230.  So, on approach and departure, I change to unlimited.  Once cruising, I dial it back.

I have noticed the same thing with FSX and my 980ti - much lower power usage (and temps) if I use fixed fps @ 30 or less compared to unlimited which I use to use full time due to significantly better fps in high demand areas but I will try your idea of switching between fixed and unlimited depending stage of flight.

Bruceb

• Upvote 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Hi!

Yes, I noticed that too, even on the laptop. It too has a 4790K but can only work with a GTX980M. However, when I do limit it, the FPS drops way below the target. Unlimited it runs smooth. If it works fine on a tower that would be a nice way to save on electricity.

cu
Roman

Also, when not using P3D, I use Power Save mode, where watts goes down to 55, but some of the web pages are soo complicated (primarily advertising) that they take forever to load.  Sometimes, I try to click stop, but the content still has not loaded yet.  Still trying to figure out what to do with that.

10700k / Gigabyte 3060

Hi

Built the system and am surprised at it's power consumption. With P3D running I measure around 200W - 250W of power usage. Quite a lot less than expected. The CPU runs at 4.8 GHz. X-Plane (10 and 11) uses ~100W more which may be due to the increased usage of the GPU.

The calculator suggested above helped to find the right power supply. So instead of overspending on 800W or more I bought a 650W unit with a gold efficiency rating. 550W would have done the trick but the 650 version didn't cost significantly more.

All in all I feared much worse outcomes of 600W and more being consumed when the sim runs. Turns out the increase is way lower and I shouldn't end up with a heart attack over the electricity bill :)

cu
Roman

On 02/03/2017 at 2:18 PM, romangeber said:

However, I'd hate to find myself holding a huge electricity bill at the end of the year.

You won't notice it. Your electricity bill won't be huge at all. My PC runs for 4 - 6 hours every day. No huge bill. 6700K and GTX 980 Ti, 850 Watt PSU. 

Add to that my son's 3770K system with a GTX 770, 1000 Watt PSU, running for 5 hours every day and all day once per week.

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

You won't notice it. Your electricity bill won't be huge at all.

I'd think so too. Had a pretty hungry system once that did lead to quite a nasty surprise there. Since then I'm much more careful with that. It's quite nice to see how much better these high performance chips have become in saving energy.

cu
Roman