Sign in to follow this  
sloppysmusic

A2A Mustang Civilian Rudder Problem

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=58717

Hi, please move this if necessary, but it seems to be an internal FSX issue?

Best to read the above link and watch videos included. Can I post diagnostic videos here?

Basically my pc/fsx hardware everything works fantastic and I love it. No problems whatsoever FSUIPC is a dream for all my aircraft.

Then i purchased the A2A Mustang Civvy.. 

The thread at A2A is now 7 pages long and after seemingly annoying several staff it seems one or two are believing me finally. The videos are just too persuasive,

The A2A mustang rudder will not work most/all of the time. Animations show it working and pedals work fine but it has no effect on aircraft. This means I cant steer during take off roll so therefore cannot take off or fly the plane. 

Any ideas? Please read thread first though, it is very detailed. Every other plane I use works and flies fine. This one is unfliable (literally) without rudder.

Thanks, again sorry if in wrong place (its NOT a hardware issue) I can post the YT videos showing the problem if its ok here as well.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

1 hour ago, sloppysmusic said:

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=58717

Hi, please move this if necessary, but it seems to be an internal FSX issue?

Best to read the above link and watch videos included. Can I post diagnostic videos here?

Basically my pc/fsx hardware everything works fantastic and I love it. No problems whatsoever FSUIPC is a dream for all my aircraft.

Then i purchased the A2A Mustang Civvy.. 

The thread at A2A is now 7 pages long and after seemingly annoying several staff it seems one or two are believing me finally. The videos are just too persuasive,

The A2A mustang rudder will not work most/all of the time. Animations show it working and pedals work fine but it has no effect on aircraft. This means I cant steer during take off roll so therefore cannot take off or fly the plane. 

Any ideas? Please read thread first though, it is very detailed. Every other plane I use works and flies fine. This one is unfliable (literally) without rudder.

Thanks, again sorry if in wrong place (its NOT a hardware issue) I can post the YT videos showing the problem if its ok here as well.

Out of curiosity, 

Are you pushing the stick forward/back to control the tailwheel lock?  Tail Wheel is locked with stick aft, tailwheel free with stick forward and you can really turn tight with the brakes, even with stick neutral to aft, you should still be able to steer, albeit not sharply.  I've never had any rudder issues with the Mustang, tho it does take some fancy footwork on takeoff due to the massive torque.

Cheers

TJ

38 minutes ago, pilottj said:

Are you pushing the stick forward/back to control the tailwheel lock?

Back past center. it makes no difference though as tail wheel wont move in any position so rudder pedals cannot steer the plane before it spins left out of control.

i will post the 3 videos here as being diagnostic they are not 'entertainment' videos which have their own forum

This last one displays the lack of control most clearly

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

After almost a week and 8/9 pages we gave up. No rudder activity at all on my Mustang in FSX. Every other plane of mine is flawless including 2 other A2A AccuSim planes. Have asked for refund.

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Yeah I can't figure out why it wouldn't work.  I have no problem taxiing, and takeoffs are quite manageable, even with crosswinds.  Do you have the T-6?  That has pretty much the same tailwheel mechanism as the P-51...ie stick to control steerability.   

6 minutes ago, pilottj said:

Yeah I can't figure out why it wouldn't work.  I have no problem taxiing, and takeoffs are quite manageable, even with crosswinds.  Do you have the T-6?  That has pretty much the same tailwheel mechanism as the P-51...ie stick to control steerability.   

No, just the 2 Pipers. I planned to get all of them eventually I just wanted a faster plane first. Wondering if the 'older' planes have issues with FSX Steam? I want that T6 so bad - I dont have an Accusim tail-dragger yet. I also had my eyes on the P40 and Spitfire. How fast can you cruise in the T6 at say 5000 feet? I want a fast VFR plane. Really want at least 250/300 as comanche gives me 180 or so.

If it has the SAME tailwheel SIM mechanism i would be worried. I have no ground steering with the P51 except with toe brakes and no rudder in the air either. Have PM'd A2A's Scott for a refund. They cant say I didnt put the effort in I really did! As soon as refund/credit issued will move on to their next plane. Any thoughts what to try next? Has to be single engine prop TD first :D

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Well the T-6 is a trainer, so it isn't particularly fast, cruises around 140mph indicated, so whatever that works out to in TAS at 5000'.  The T-6 is great for chugging along the country side, it kind of reminds me of a Harley cruiser for some reason.  While it isn't the fastest, it will make a good pilot out of you, just like the real one did for WWII pilots.  If you can master the T-6, especially crosswind landings, you can handle just about any taildragger.  It does have a simple autopilot and provisions for third party GTN650 and GNS430 units, so it is fully IFR capable.  

Of the warbirds, the P-40, Spit, and Military Mustang are all period aircraft...ie their cockpits are typical WWII layouts, so you are limited to VFR flying with them.  The P-40 is fantastic for low altitudes, the Spit is great for high altitudes.  The P-40 and Spit are less 'torqy'...so takeoffs are a little easier than the Mustang.  You still need to be on your toes tho, as with any high performance taildragger.

It's too bad the Civil P-51 doesn't work out for you, because it is the ideal high speed cross country cruiser.   The nice thing about the Civil Mustang is that it is really fast, has the awesome sound of a Merlin V-12, is fully usable in 'today's airspace'/full IFR, and it also makes you work for the reward, which I think makes it fun.  I think there should be a nice challenge-reward when tackling a high performance beast like the Mustang.  The only other plane that came close to the Mustang in performance was the RealAir Legacy, which unfortunately is no longer available.  The Legacy is a very fine plane, altho I didn't quite feel the 'challenge'/'reward' of mastering a high performance beast as I did in the Mustang

Anyway, good luck, I hope you can get something worked out.

Another consideration would be Ant's Aircraft T-28, which is another fantastic release.  It is pure 'old school' 1950-60s IFR flying tho, no AP or GPS.

Cheers

TJ

Well the T-6 is a trainer, so it isn't particularly fast, cruises around 140mph indicated, whatever that works out to in TAS at 5000'.  The T-6 is great for chugging along the country side, it kind of reminds me of a Harley cruiser for some reason.  While it isn't the fastest, it will make a good pilot out of you, just like the real one did for WWII pilots.  If you can master the T-6, especially crosswind landings, you can handle just about any taildragger.  It does have a simple autopilot and provisions for third party GTN650 and GNS430 units, so it is fully IFR capable.  

So same speed as Cherokee but they hear and feel you approaching? Sounds good! This plane is for pure speed VFR looking at scenery. Making 4k HQ videos mainly. I'd be happy with an ADF or even better a single VOR/ADF in combo. Never use GPS since RXP units stopped working with Steam. Havent missed it either, prefer the old steam guages!

Of the warbirds, the P-40, Spit, and Military Mustang are all period aircraft...ie their cockpits are typical WWII layouts, so you are limited to VFR flying with them.  The P-40 is fantastic for low altitudes, the Spit is great for high altitudes.  The P-40 and Spit are less 'torqy'...so takeoffs are a little easier than the Mustang.  You still need to be on your toes tho, as with any high performance taildragger.

So the Spit for going distances, and the P40 for low level sight seeing? I;m pretty bored with FL cruise levels, have enough practice with all the PMDG's I own. I dont even care about AP as long as its stable to trim and has a NAV radio of sorts. Even just a compass might be fun.

It's too bad the Civil P-51 doesn't work out for you, because it is the ideal high speed cross country cruiser.   The nice thing about the Civil Mustang is that it is really fast, has the awesome sound of a Merlin V-12, and it makes you work a little, which I think makes it fun.  I think there should be a nice challenge-reward when tackling a high performance beast like the Mustang.

It IS bad..I spent weeks researching the perfect plane for my needs and the Mustang Civvy came up top of the bunch. Shoot....

The only other plane that came close to the Mustang in performance was the RealAir Legacy, which unfortunately is no longer available.  The Legacy is a very fine plane, altho I didn't quite feel the 'challenge'/'reward' of mastering a high performance beast as I did in the Mustang

I have very fond memories of RealAir. Own v1 of The Legacy, I have taken it EVERYWHERE back in the day, understand without Accusim it now feels light. My current GA planes are RA Legacy/B60 +Turbine, with Scouts/Spitfire too, and A2A 2 x Pipers. Before I had a good build and OrbX I flew J41/737/MD11/777 around in the dark. Now I want to see the world and nail down my VFR skills (for a real world goal this year!)

The Cherokee is improving my circuit skills very quickly. It's a bit like a scooter though, I can definitely feel the need for the T6 (being a 1300cc V4 bike engine owner myself in real life)

Anyway, good luck, I hope you can get something worked out.

Thanks! Im sure I will.

Another consideration would be Ant's Aircraft T-28, which is another fantastic release.  It is pure 'old school' 1950-60s IFR flying tho, no AP or GPS.

Edited by sloppysmusic
typos..

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

I've followed your troubles with the Mustang and watched your videos. Believe me, I feel for you. I have however been struck by one thing. Given that all your controls work as they should and it appears they do, it looks to me as though you are treating the Mustang as an arithmetical problem.

By that I mean, 'if I do this then that should happen'. In the end it looks as though the Mustang has won because you haven't taken control of it. Feel it, anticipate it and be the boss. Do you ride horses? If you do you'll know that you have to be ahead of the horse, to know what he's going to do before he does. It's just like that with the P-51. I've watched you go through the going round in circles bit, stopping then taxiing back to the runway like normal!

That rudder, ailerons and elevator will all be at work the second you start to open that throttle. At one point in one of your videos you tried to open the throttle slowly and smoothly, very good, but you let it take it's own line. My feet were dancing on my pedals while watching that.

Reinstall it, decide that you're going to control it not just be a passenger. It really IS too good an aircraft to give up on. But you must be in charge.

Courtesy of 3/4 bottle of Merlot

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

3 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

I've followed your troubles with the Mustang and watched your videos. Believe me, I feel for you. I have however been struck by one thing. Given that all your controls work as they should and it appears they do, it looks to me as though you are treating the Mustang as an arithmetical problem.

By that I mean, 'if I do this then that should happen'. In the end it looks as though the Mustang has won because you haven't taken control of it. Feel it, anticipate it and be the boss. Do you ride horses? If you do you'll know that you have to be ahead of the horse, to know what he's going to do before he does. It's just like that with the P-51. I've watched you go through the going round in circles bit, stopping then taxiing back to the runway like normal!

That rudder, ailerons and elevator will all be at work the second you start to open that throttle. At one point in one of your videos you tried to open the throttle slowly and smoothly, very good, but you let it take it's own line. My feet were dancing on my pedals while watching that.

Reinstall it, decide that you're going to control it not just be a passenger. It really IS too good an aircraft to give up on. But you must be in charge.

Courtesy of 3/4 bottle of Merlot

"Given that all your controls work as they should and it appears they do"

No NO no no NO NO NO NOOOO!!! They do not! i do not have any rudder at all! That is why I am going round and round in circles! You see me press right ruder all way down in one video slowly move down run way plane goes left. One guy asked me to power on left and right rudder. NO left or turns made. In the air on video 2 you can CLEARLY see as I am landing I have.....NO RUDDER working! its moving but slip ball not moving and plane is NOT yawing at all!

Phew..but i need a banner here. I DO NOT HAVE ANY CONTROL OF THE RUDDER IN THE A2A MUSTANG!!!! 

:D

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Watch the ending. I do know how to use rudder?

Surely from this crazy take off you can see I can steer WHEN I have a rudder?!?

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

It's now fixed. BUT the arrogance of one of the devs stating I probably 'practiced' it instead..is  ASTOUNDINGLY ARROGANT :( Read the A2A thread if you want to see the insults yourself. The accusim install script is undeniably BUGGED for that plane. They even advise you to manually fix the issue yourself. The missing failed update even has a TAILWHEEL steering bug fix/patch. 

Proof Accusim NOT installed in the plane by faulty install script.

Proof there is a tailwheel steering fix in the patch that didnt install in ALL the planes of people with problems

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Make sure you keep your speed up after take-off (lower the nose a bit). You were around the 100 kt mark, I find you need to be 110-120+ if possible, otherwise control is very difficult and you will stall. Alternatively delay unstick until you are a bit faster.

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE

Thanks frog but that was just a test to show the rudder was actually working finally after accusim was installed! I am loving the plane now and yes it takes practice especially setting up trims correctly before take off. Agreed with speed as soon as I'm in the air I keep nose down and get speed up and she becomes smooth and stable. That early take off was just trim set wrong. The bugged install script had left the plane with no rudder or tailwheel so I had been trying anything before to take off without it. Everything is fine now the next video I post will show that! 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Looking forward to seeing your next video. I've only just started learning the Civ Mustang myself, so was passing on one of the few things I have learned so far. It really is a handful!

Intel I7-4770 3.4Ghz
16 Gb RAM
nVidia GTX770 2Gb
Windows 8.1 64 bit
P3D 4.4/3.4 FSX SE