Sign in to follow this  
sloppysmusic

A2A Mustang Civilian Rudder Problem

4 minutes ago, thefrog said:

Looking forward to seeing your next video. I've only just started learning the Civ Mustang myself, so was passing on one of the few things I have learned so far. It really is a handful!

I did 3 80 mile flights last night..got takeoffs nailed down..was going so smooth i even did ILS landing :D

5000/10000/15000 altitude cruises.

im starting to get used to applying right aileron just before plane rotates..makes a huge difference!

Probably do a video later between 2 obx airports. Maybe Alaska will see!

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Glad both you guys are enjoying it, yes she is a handful, especially on takeoff, but I think that is where the real treat is, the challenge of mastering a beast.  There is no other IFR capable piston GA plane available in flight sim that will match the Civil P-51 in flat out performance.  That high performance requires some high pilot proficiency...and there is the fun.  You work for it, but it's wonderful to master.

About a month or so ago, I took the Civil Mustang at night into Telluride CO, at night, in IMC, flew the RNAV approach down to minimums...AP off for the approach of course!...I made it, it wasn't the prettiest landing, but damn it was fun!  Do you know how hard it is to spot runway lights in IMC when there is a HUGE V-12 up front blocking a lot of the view?       

Be patient, keep practicing.  Practice in the T-6 too.  Like I said before, if you can master the T-6, you will really have a leg up on understanding the Mustang.

A few pointers.  

As mentioned before, do NOT get behind the airplane, always stay ahead of it...know where it is going, and what you are going to do when you get there....don't wait until you get there to figure out the next step lol.

As you have found out, takeoffs are a challenge.  If you look away for a second, you'll be headed toward the runway ditch before you know it.   With practice you can master the Mustang takeoffs.

Unless you are planning on LONG trips, don't fly with the aft tank full, as it gives you unfavorable CG that is not good for aerobatics or general hand flying.    If you are going on long trips, be mindful of using the altitude hold with the aft tank full...the plane will porpoise alot until you drain the aft tank.  Use pitch hold set to 0 instead and periodically adjust.  

Give yourself bigger runways to land at starting out, don't try to pop it into some little GA strip until you are quite proficient in the airplane.  2500' is about my personal minimum for runway length, and that is on a nice day.  Landings are where mastery of the T-6 really comes into play.

Anyway, I hope you two get many hours of enjoyment from the Mustang.  There is nothing like it.

Cheers

TJ

Tejon, 

thanks for the tips especially the fuel loads. That's gold to me! But no small strips? That's half the fun! Seriously though until I can take off fast every time on a long strip I wont be landing on any short fields. I would have no problem LANDING on them, but why would I want to strand this sweet machine there?! Im not sure the T6 COULD take off from most of my smaller OrbX fields, the Mustang could but I'm not ready yet.

I'd write more but reading your post has just made me want to go fly NOW. Will record it of course, only question is which one of these beauties do I pick first?!

Edited by sloppysmusic
Added link to relevant video

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

lol My friend, take the T-6, and go land it in a crosswind, and you'll see why you need to give yourself some breathing room with these beasts :cool:   Taking off in a powerful taildragger is one thing, landing the damn thing (esp. in gusty conditions) is another matter LOL.  

If you need help, ask Dudley over at A2A, he is their chief pilot and CFI, and can explain taildragger landing techniques much better than I can.

Cheers

TJ

6 minutes ago, pilottj said:

lol My friend, take the T-6, and go land it in a crosswind, and you'll see why you need to give yourself some breathing room with these beasts :cool:   Taking off in a powerful taildragger is one thing, landing the damn thing (esp. in gusty conditions) is another matter LOL.  

If you need help, ask Dudley over at A2A, he is their chief pilot and CFI, and can explain taildragger landing techniques much better than I can.

Cheers

TJ

TJ, you know what happens when you advise/warn a kid not to do something right? I confess to being THAT kid with all these new toys.

..and you just made me want to do it even more! Will wait until you leave the room though!!

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

20 hours ago, sloppysmusic said:

TJ, you know what happens when you advise/warn a kid not to do something right? I confess to being THAT kid with all these new toys.

..and you just made me want to do it even more! Will wait until you leave the room though!!

Part of the fun of FS is to specifically do what you aren't supposed to do.  Lol, sounds like you have the genes of Capt Wild Bill Kelso mate. :biggrin:

Speaking of Wild Bill, the P-40 is perfect for taking to places where you shouldn't take P-40s, or airplanes in general for that matter lol .  Of all the warbirds, it is the warbird (of the A2A examples at least) that is most like a bush plane...a bush plane with a big shark tooth grin hiding a big Allison V-1710.  

The P-40 is the kinda plane you fly when someone tells you you can't do something, that big sharktooth grin says...'I can't do it?...Oh yeah?!...Watch Me!'  I've gotten my P-40 into all kinds of bush strips...a few bent props here and there and some worn out brakes...but the P-40 is so rugged, it just shrugs it off lol.  It is quite fun and a nice change of pace in a hobby that can take itself too seriously sometimes :happy:

Cheers

TJ

6 hours ago, pilottj said:

Part of the fun of FS is to specifically do what you aren't supposed to do.  Lol, sounds like you have the genes of Capt Wild Bill Kelso mate. :biggrin:

TJ,

you have me figured out! Too tired to post much now ..just made 2 videos of scary short landings in the T6 OrbX Samoa. So many mistakes they should be 'how not to do it' videos :D

In the meantime here are a few screenies from a few years ago when i was doing what you figured out I WOULD be doing!

JD3q6ZA.jpg

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK