Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

747-400 Pilot Handbook by Capt Mike Ray

Anyone have this spiral bound manual by Capt. Mike Ray? Looking for opinions. Pretty sure I cannot post an Amazon link here but they have this manual for about 55 bucks.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Everyone seems to rave about Mike Ray's books... although the simming community now seems to be spoiled with lots of good stuff, so I don't know how much this book will add to your experience :tongue:

John H Watson (retired 744/767 Avionics engineer)

Its an excellent book. Capt. Ray has a way of explaining procedures for us non 744 pilots and using diagrams to make difficult procedures clear. I've had it for a good while its helpful. Also Bulfer's Big Boeing FMC Guide is another must buy if you don't have it.

I have the 737 Classic one.
It's good for beginners and real pilots also, because it explains in a fun and clear way all the procedures from the boring real manuals.

Mauricio Brentano

It's a good book, and helps you with the flows. If there is only one 'issue' (if I may call that), it is mostly UAL procedures and there are few typos that I have noticed. Having said that, I own this book, refer to it quite a lot, and I can only recommend getting it. :) I am certain, that any 'serious' simmer (i.e. PMDG owner -> 747-400 aficionado) should go for it.

I would love to buy the real-world manuals, but it that is an impossible task.

Cheers,

Have a personalized, autographed copy from when I met Mike several years back. Used it on the original 747 and still reference it to this day on the QOTSII.  Great book.

And yes, it is mostly centered around United procedures and equipment.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I have all of Mike Ray's books for both Boeings and Airbuseses :happy:.

He takes a dry subject and makes it a lot of fun to learn, yet he also goes into great detail on his check-ride presentations.

Well worth the money to by the spiral bound books.  They are so much easier to reference.

I fly airliners because Mike Ray taught me.

If you look around the internet and do a search under "FCOM" you will find a wealth of downloadable .pdf manuals that go into nauseating detail on everything to how many amps the coffeemakers pull to lav toilet tank capacities....And, really detailed information on bulletins issued by the manufacturer to deal with the numerous bugs that crop up in not only new airplane designs, but also older airplanes that present their own unique problems associated with aging wires and sketchy system anomalies...

Scott Austin Fitzpatrick

I have the pdf copy and it's a very cool and useful read and reread

spacer.png