Sign in to follow this  
flybius

Does anyone have any experience with XP11 on the latest gen Mac Pro?

I am interested to learn if the Mac Pro is a reasonable option for running XP11 on the Mac platform. I understand that the FirePro graphics are not the greatest, but it seems that the multicore Xeon cpu may be a good fit for XP11.  

I know that the iMac is probably a better choice for this (and I know many will suggest a PC as being an even better choice) But I am interested to hear from somebody that actually runs XP11 on the 2013 nMP.

Thanks 

Well I have a 2015 Macbook Pro which is not quite the same machine of course and I can say that performance is just awful, which is one of the reasons I picked up a Windows machine with a 1070, which runs fantastic. I don't think it will run particularly well on this machine. It's a real pity Apple have decided shrinking their computers and working on iPhones are more important than upping the performance, because other than that, they are great computers.

I have a 3.5 Six-Core Pro with the D500. It's pretty dreadful. X-Plane now resides on my ugly, stupid, noisy, clunky monster Windows rig I built for simming. A shame.

It's interesting that the main developers of X-Plane use either Mac or Linux (The default scenery comes from the HD-Mesh Linux guru Andras Fabian). I've never found the performance of the sim good on these platforms, but in Windows 10 on a decent cheap in comparison machine it's incredible. I have recently enjoyed watching some popular YouTubers like Froogle try out X-Plane 11 and be in constant amazement on how good it looks

Thanks guys, 

Tony, I currently have a 2015 MBP 13" with the Iris 6100. Although this is not even close to being a reasonable GPU for gaming, I have been able to tweak out a usable config in XP11 that allows me to fly with an FPS of mid 20's to mid 30's. This performance is achievable  without running HDR and on a clear day.  I have begun creating Ortho4XP scenery 17 zoom and without any autogen I can get into the 40's. 

Do you have the AMD on your MBP or are you Iris 6100 or Iris Pro 5200?

I have a a dual GPU. NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB and Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB (Shared Memory). In XP10 I generally used HDR and had about 20fps. 

I have run XP10 on this machine for some time quite happily, but XP11 does not run well and has forced me to go back to Windows.

With a GTX 1070, I get around 40-50fps in XP11.

Thanks Tony, good to know as I have considered getting this nVidia MBP before. Do you run XP11 in Bootcamp or OS X ?