Sign in to follow this  
nosar77

Frustrating Stutters

Turn off Nvidia ShaderCache in the Global Settings or Prepar3d Profile.  I have ShaderCache disabled in Global settings

And I also use 4K monitors + VR.  I am not seeing stutters.  I do control MyTraffic 6a AI with FSUIPC and all my addons are P3Dv3 compatible.  No FSX only addons are installed

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

What kind of AA settings are you using?  4xSGSS causes my system to stutter when cloud cover increases, for example.

Try running Task Manager together with P3D--set it up to always be on top, and watch the CPU load graphs on the performance tab.  Watch those graphs while flying...I find that keeping the CPUs below 100% is paramount to smoothness, and stutters do occur when any CPU cores spike up to 100%.  I also watch GPU load on the display of my Logitech G13 gamepad (via eVGA's Precision X utility), and graphics settings that push my GPUs to >90% also can cause stutters.  Watching loads in real time really helps understand how the system load works over time and with different settings. 

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I have a similar setup to yours and run a 30 Hz 4K TV with very good results have a look at the spreadsheet in the link below.

I have included all of Rob's comparative settings as well as mine and it hi-lites the various hitters to CPU, GPU, and both. If you run task manager and monitor CPU performance as well as GPU-Z to monitor GPU loading it may point you to a potential adjustment to settings.

Additionally I load all my add-ons that are not networked in to a single core (identified by task manager performance monitoring as the least loaded, mine is the 2nd core) and P3D to all cores with high priority using Simstarter NG.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wum2no6ku6krcmm/P3D-AS16-ASCA Settings Chart.xlsx?dl=0

Good Luck

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

Im going to try and reinstall windows and reset my overclocking settings and start fresh. i cannot get rid of the stutters. do you guys think that switching to the 1070 or 1080 would make any difference . or upgrading my CPU from my i5-6600k. its frustrating. and AA is turned off on. also for anyone asking about Vsync when its turned off i get tearing. even with P3D settings turned low and the FPS counter is over 60 FPS . i get tearing and/or micro stutters. 

Getting a gtx 1080 will not cure your stutters,,didn't cure mine. Stutter is textures loading so reduce textures or scenery.

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

The biggest cause of stutters in my own system is running a lot of OrbX scenery. There's always a pause when loading in custom objects (buildings, bridges, stadiums, etc.) In some areas like the LA basin it can pause for several *seconds* when getting into LOD range of areas heavily populated with these objects.

I just had the same problems with P3D. Before completely uninstalling, did you delete the cfg and shaders and had them rebuild?

I also followed this guys suggestion, but only did points 1 and 4, basically an OC to 4.5 and an AM of 241.

This however didn't solve my problems and I followed the suggestions in this post: No cloud shadows, no traffic.

I also deselected all choices in FTX vector. (I could have uninstalled it, but like to keep it for the coastlines)

In the end I applied max prerendered frames= 1 in the NVC.

The latter or the combination did it to me. I am now running a pretty smooth sim at least during the cruise phase. (Most sliders mid to 3/4, frames unlimited no NVI, on a i7 6700k and GTX1070)

Getting near airports with heavy scenery in a major add-on will always be a struggle. I hope we get better (=smoother) performance and better use of modern PC's in V4.

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

EDIT: Still not quite happy! Every 5-20" there is a stutter, mostly visible in spot or flyby view when observing the clouds. Is this when P3D unloads some scenery to reduce VAS?

Regards, Perry

6 hours ago, nosar77 said:

Im going to try and reinstall windows and reset my overclocking settings and start fresh. i cannot get rid of the stutters. do you guys think that switching to the 1070 or 1080 would make any difference . or upgrading my CPU from my i5-6600k. its frustrating. and AA is turned off on. also for anyone asking about Vsync when its turned off i get tearing. even with P3D settings turned low and the FPS counter is over 60 FPS . i get tearing and/or micro stutters. 

You've got ample CPU/GPU processing power to manage P3D, but you must make adjustments to insure you're never overtaxing either side.   Query SteveW here and ask him recommend to you the best Affinity Mask for your 6600K.  I'm sure others here could use his logic and come up with the right one.   After this is established, assign your add-ons to cores not utilized by P3D.  Monitor GPU load and back off as needed any sliders affecting load on the GPU to insure you are nowhere close to 100% fully loaded.  

Presumably you're running hyper-threaded?   If so, then try AM value of 82:  01 01 01 00.  Try assigning add-ons to the first two logical processors leaving the last 6 for P3D.  SteveW may come in and improve on this ;o)

I have found Nirvana w/ ultra-smooth, I mean absolute perfect smoothness, since finding the correct AM, running unlimited frames w/ 30mHz monitor refresh VSYNCed.  Now the caveat to this is:  if the CPU is unable to maintain at least 30fps, then substantial stuttering will ensue immediately after seeing frames dip below 30.   When this occurs, it's my clue to reduce those highly CPU-dependent sliders as needed, PLUS, change the monitor back to 60Hz refresh.   Seems counterintuitive but even w/ unlimited frames when I set the the screen refresh back to 60Hz when at 30Hz I was starting to see frames at say 29fps often the frame count goes to well over 30 and it's smooth, but not truly perfectly smooth as it is when I can maintain frames at 30 w/ refresh at 30, even when frames are back up well over 30.

When conditions are severe enough you of course need to back off big time on certain sliders.   You're flying into a very complex scenery in a PMDG product w/ sliders hard right ready to land at a 3rd party complex terminal.   My system is now 5y/o and delivers incredibly perfect performance in most all scenarios I'm flying in, and on occasion I have to dial back scenery sliders, sometimes significantly, to make a very smooth landing.   But that's fine I'm not looking so much at scenery prior to touchdown.  I fly PMDG 737/777 and Majestic Dash 8 mostly all in FTX Regional Sceneries, NCA, SCA, PNW, in and out of FSDT airports.  If you don't like to stop and adjust once or twice on a flight plan, then you choose settings that will get you thru an entire flight but of course sacrifice some eye candy for this convenience.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

So with a friend i worked out a couple of things but not sure if a combination of these fixed the problem or Placebo effect. Anyway i was running my 4k monitor on Display Port so he told me to switch to HDMI. (which i don't know if it had any affect, as far as i know DP is the best for gaming at 4k.) Next i reset my Nvidia Settings to default inside Nvidia Control Panel. Then i turned  Vsync off . Then inside P3D i turned on Vsync and Triple Buffering. That somehow did the trick. But i also reset my P3D.cfg just to make sure. I also figured out what caused my stutters or FPS instability. Even with P3D shadows on the lowest setting my GPU cannot handle it so i believe that my GPU cannot handle P3D shadows on 4k. at 1080p it was fine but now that im on 4k my 1060 Struggles and stays at 99% usage the entire time. so im going to consider picking up a 1080 or a 1070 to see if that will help or wait to get the 1080TI. Thank you everyone! 

41 minutes ago, Noel said:

You've got ample CPU/GPU processing power to manage P3D, but you must make adjustments to insure you're never overtaxing either side.   Query SteveW here and ask him recommend to you the best Affinity Mask for your 6600K.  I'm sure others here could use his logic and come up with the right one.   After this is established, assign your add-ons to cores not utilized by P3D.  Monitor GPU load and back off as needed any sliders affecting load on the GPU to insure you are nowhere close to 100% fully loaded.  

Presumably you're running hyper-threaded?   If so, then try AM value of 82:  01 01 01 00.  Try assigning add-ons to the first two logical processors leaving the last 6 for P3D.  SteveW may come in and improve on this ;o)

I have found Nirvana w/ ultra-smooth, I mean absolute perfect smoothness, since finding the correct AM, running unlimited frames w/ 30mHz monitor refresh VSYNCed.  Now the caveat to this is:  if the CPU is unable to maintain at least 30fps, then substantial stuttering will ensue immediately after seeing frames dip below 30.   When this occurs, it's my clue to reduce those highly CPU-dependent sliders as needed, PLUS, change the monitor back to 60Hz refresh.   Seems counterintuitive but even w/ unlimited frames when I set the the screen refresh back to 60Hz when at 30Hz I was starting to see frames at say 29fps often the frame count goes to well over 30 and it's smooth, but not truly perfectly smooth as it is when I can maintain frames at 30 w/ refresh at 30, even when frames are back up well over 30.

When conditions are severe enough you of course need to back off big time on certain sliders.   You're flying into a very complex scenery in a PMDG product w/ sliders hard right ready to land at a 3rd party complex terminal.   My system is now 5y/o and delivers incredibly perfect performance in most all scenarios I'm flying in, and on occasion I have to dial back scenery sliders, sometimes significantly, to make a very smooth landing.   But that's fine I'm not looking so much at scenery prior to touchdown.  I fly PMDG 737/777 and Majestic Dash 8 mostly all in FTX Regional Sceneries, NCA, SCA, PNW, in and out of FSDT airports.  If you don't like to stop and adjust once or twice on a flight plan, then you choose settings that will get you thru an entire flight but of course sacrifice some eye candy for this convenience.

AM at 82 seemed to help increase overall smoothness but i figured out what was causing it. Thanks A lot! 

Recorded using shadowplay Running latest AS16 . Just Flights new Piper arrow 3. and ORBX Norcal with , Orbx KMRY scenery. (Yes i know orbx is quite taxing but the problem also occurred when i wasn't at this airport so being here and seeing much better results.)

19 minutes ago, nosar77 said:

So with a friend i worked out a couple of things but not sure if a combination of these fixed the problem or Placebo effect. Anyway i was running my 4k monitor on Display Port so he told me to switch to HDMI. (which i don't know if it had any affect, as far as i know DP is the best for gaming at 4k.) Next i reset my Nvidia Settings to default inside Nvidia Control Panel. Then i turned  Vsync off . Then inside P3D i turned on Vsync and Triple Buffering. That somehow did the trick. But i also reset my P3D.cfg just to make sure. I also figured out what caused my stutters or FPS instability. Even with P3D shadows on the lowest setting my GPU cannot handle it so i believe that my GPU cannot handle P3D shadows on 4k. at 1080p it was fine but now that im on 4k my 1060 Struggles and stays at 99% usage the entire time. so im going to consider picking up a 1080 or a 1070 to see if that will help or wait to get the 1080TI. Thank you everyone! 

There you go--serious overload on your GPU.   This being said, my now 5y/o GTX Titan, according to UserBenchmark, is about 20% faster for GPU throughput over your 1060, and I still need to be absolutely mindful of not overtaxing it--this in the end you will continue to need to do to achieve excellent total performance.  The 1080 is roughly 25% faster than my Titan, so you should see a nice improvement for sure, but as I say you will still need to live within what your new GPU can do, absolutely.   I find I can easily manage terrain and cloud shadows when I'm not in the midst of heavy clouds.  So knowing this, just dial back those sliders when in heavy weather--plus, you don't get a lot of ground shadowing when there is heavy cloud cover anyway.  Similar logic applies to flying PMDG stuff out of complex scenery:  you're low enough to the ground to appreciate the complex scenery for such a short time it's not big deal to dial back as needed to achieve excellent smoothness.  So exploit these low cost ways to improve your experience.   

If you're not using the Majestic Dash 8 Q400--it's a super treat in this regard.  Can fly it anywhere in any conditions w/ total smoothness.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

3 hours ago, nosar77 said:

Recorded using shadowplay Running latest AS16 . Just Flights new Piper arrow 3. and ORBX Norcal with , Orbx KMRY scenery. (Yes i know orbx is quite taxing but the problem also occurred when i wasn't at this airport so being here and seeing much better results.)

Is this the much better results?   Still looks terribly choppy in your video until getting out of the airport area--these are serious macro-stutters which for me are an absolute avoidance.   If I can find my key to FRAPS I can try to do a similar video as I also have KMRY, but no Piper Arrow.   I can try the very easy on performance demand but complex Dash 8 or the RA Turbine Duke.  I don't have GeForce Experience installed as I try always for keeping things squeaky clean.

Noel

40 minutes ago, Noel said:

Is this the much better results?   Still looks terribly choppy in your video until getting out of the airport area--these are serious macro-stutters which for me are an absolute avoidance.   If I can find my key to FRAPS I can try to do a similar video as I also have KMRY, but no Piper Arrow.   I can try the very easy on performance demand but complex Dash 8 or the RA Turbine Duke.  I don't have GeForce Experience installed as I try always for keeping things squeaky clean.

Yeah the dash-8 is amazing  and those stutters at the beginning weren't in the local recording. That was weird but yeah imma try getting a 1080 . 

Sounds good ;o)

Noel