Sign in to follow this  
msdeel

Where to install FSX, P3D, X-Plane if I have two SSD and Velociraptor drive

I apologize if I'm in the wrong forum but I'm new to P3D and XPlane.  I've been using FSX and now want to try P3D and Xplane also.  I have an old system (i7, GTX 780, 8 GB RAM) which I plan to re-purpose as a flight sim only box running Win 10.  I have two new SSD drives (250 and 480 GB) and one old 300 GB Velociraptor drive.  I also just read Avsim's P3D guide unfortunately I did not find my answer to this question:

Where do I install the OS, FSX, P3D, and X-Plane given the available drives which will give me the best performance in the next year or so (until I decide on which flight sim to use moving forward)? Does it make sense to install the OS on the Velociraptor drive, FSX and P3D on the 480 GB SSD drive, and X-Plane on the 250 GB SSD drive?  Would removing the Velo drive and using just the two SSD drives be better performance wise should I decide to jump to a 64-bit flight sim? I currently have about 150 GB worth of  FSX and DCS stuff in the Velo drive  and the OS on a small 60 GB SSD drive. Thank you.

Edit: I just read Ray Marshall's review of Aerofly in Avsim after I posted this. I guess I'll be trying Aerofly too before the year is out.

Edited by msdeel
New information.

Performance wise on your system, it really won't be noticeable. I'd put the os on the raptor and the sims on the SSD's. Ultimately you'll get better overall system performance by switching the OS to an SSD.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

On 2017-03-04 at 3:58 PM, vgbaron said:

Performance wise on your system, it really won't be noticeable. I'd put the os on the raptor and the sims on the SSD's. Ultimately you'll get better overall system performance by switching the OS to an SSD.

Vic

Hi vic

i know this is an old topic,

thou may please give me advise?

i am wanting to try xplane 11

i have 2 ssd one for OS and one for P3d v4 atm.

now the ssd with P3d v4 folder installed, May I install xplane? So there is 2 sim folders? Or will that affect performance?

OS ssd 160gb avail out of 256

and P3d ssd 184gb available out of 256

any advise is appreciated 

thank you

Mike

Hi Mike - As long as you have enough room on the drive it shouldn't affect it at all. A GENERAL rule of thumb is that anything over 50% full on a MECHANICAL HDD will start to degrade performance. On an SSD a conservative figure would be 90%.

So check your drive space and you should be good to go.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

5 hours ago, vgbaron said:

Hi Mike - As long as you have enough room on the drive it shouldn't affect it at all. A GENERAL rule of thumb is that anything over 50% full on a MECHANICAL HDD will start to degrade performance. On an SSD a conservative figure would be 90%.

So check your drive space and you should be good to go.

Vic

Thank you 

• Like 1