Sign in to follow this  
mikelockwood

Problems caused by changing full screen to windowed mode

Hi all. Has anyone experienced problems in Fsx Steam changing backwards and forwards between full and windowed mode using the alt/enter keys. I never did until recently. This problem appears to have started around the time that I changed back from Dx10 to dx9 after using Steve's fixer. I also updated my Nvidia graphics driver at that time. I have discussed this with Steve who assures me that his fixer shouldn't cause the issue and am currently in the process of trying an earlier driver to see what happens. 

Basically what is happening is that my vc cockpit will disappear or only leave sections of it showing. Externally, I get a flying cockpit and a pair of wings. Sometimes the entire aircraft disappears inside and out. The worse case scenario is all of the above plus a black or black/white horizon from which there is no recovery. I can still hear the sim running but can't see a thing. Usually Esc will get me back to the main screen where I'll see a twirling black aircraft with bits missing that looks like it's been in a fire lol.

If I'm careful and use the onscreen menus instead of the keys then I can manage to fly mostly. It just seems that physically using thr keyboard makes it worse. I use PMDG aircraft but have experimented with stock aircraft also. I've tried starting with a fresh fsx.cfg file as well. I suspected Ezca might be the culprit so reinstalled that also.

i haven't got the fastest setup in the world and up to now it's been fine so I don't think it's my specs. I'm running Windows 7 64bit with I7 sandy bridge 3.4ghz and nvidia geoforce 950 card.

Any suggestions/ comments would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

****MIKE****

you could experiment with Borderless Gaming. I use Steam edition and fly full screen but running in a full screen window makes it all smoother with no fps drops.

you would never need to switch then all you need to do is the right click/hide menu thing when you want.

I havent pressed alt-enter in months...

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Thanks for your reply Russell,

I agree with you that full screen is better and this is how I normally fly. I only use window mode when setting up a flight e.g. activating Track IR or maybe researching a flight plan etc. Up until now using alt/ent has never been a problem. Since I wrote earlier I've installed an earlier graphics driver which seems to have cured the problem although I still need to carry out a full flight to be sure. I have been experimenting with using the mouse during the course of trying fix this problem and do agree that this is the way forward. I guess I've just got in the habit of using the keyboard. The other thing that I discovered while troubleshooting was that one of my USB connections was loose. I can't be 100% sure but I think it was the trackir one. I have a feeling that this was making and breaking causing all the crazy graphics problems. So maybe two problems in one? Well time will tell once I've been able to carry out more tests.

thanks again, I'll post again if there are any further developments.

Mike

****MIKE****

Yes I have this problem. The solution is to always start fsx in windowed mode. Each time you quit, make sure to alt+enter to go into window mode, then quit from the menus. Delete the fullscreen line in fsx.cfg to start fsx in window mode the first time. If fsx is started in window mode you can switch back and forth in game with no problem.

777200lrf, thank you for your reply. I've never thought to do that so I'll definitely take your advice.

Mike

****MIKE****