Sign in to follow this  
amagav

Use last flight eng oil feature don't works

Hi everyone

In my Queen, the "Use last flight eng oil" function does not seem to work.

I have it activated in "PMDG Setup" - "Options" - "Simulation", but at the beginning of each flight I always have the same oil level values: 20-20-21-20.

Since the last  oil level refill with the CDU I have flown about 25 hours, on flights of 3-4 hours (I am still familiarizing with the Queen).

My simulator is FSX and the plane I'm flying is the PH-BFN from KLM, "Fixed configuration" option is blanked and I'm using "744 Long" as "Startup State".

Any help, please?

Thank you.

Antonio

I may be wrong, but I thought if you load up a "saved" default panel state, you get all the settings that state had when it was created, engine oil quantity included.  So, I'm guessing you're resetting the oil quantity yourself when you load the default long state panel.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

Then I do not understand the use of this function.

I've been looking at the contents of the .sav files that correspond to both default and 744 long, and in both, there is actually a predetermined amount of oil for each engine:

[Engines]
EngineState.0 = 0
OilQ.0 = 3261
Ind_OilQ0 = 3261
OffTime.0 = 4
EGT.0 = 142
EngineState.1 = 0
OilQ.1 = 3241
Ind_OilQ.1 = 3241
OffTime.1 = 4
EGT.1 = 140
EngineState.2 = 0
OilQ.2 = 3386
Ind_OilQ.2 = 3386
OffTime.2 = 4
EGT.2 = 140
EngineState.3 = 0
OilQ.3 = 3238
Ind_OilQ.3 = 3238
OffTime.3 = 4
EGT.3 = 143

On the other hand, there is a file called "747QOTSII_options.ini" and in the "[engines]" section it has the following entries:

[Engines]
OilQ_UseLast = 1
OilQ_Last.0 = 3230
OilQ_Last.1 = 3203
OilQ_Last.2 = 3357
OilQ_Last.3 = 3201

The timestamp for this file match with the time of the end of my last flight, so I understand that this file is updated on every flight and I understand that these are the oil levels that each engine had at the end of my last flight.

So, how is all this managed in the simulator? What configuration should I have so that, at the beginning of a flight, the amount of oil was the one left at the end of the previous flight?

Antonio.

Edited by amagav

Can't help you there.  Nothing I can find in the manual on how to use it. 

Kyle or one of the other guys will have to answer this one...

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

3 hours ago, amagav said:

Then I do not understand the use of this function.

I've been looking at the contents of the .sav files that correspond to both default and 744 long, and in both, there is actually a predetermined amount of oil for each engine:

[Engines]
EngineState.0 = 0
OilQ.0 = 3261
Ind_OilQ0 = 3261
OffTime.0 = 4
EGT.0 = 142
EngineState.1 = 0
OilQ.1 = 3241
Ind_OilQ.1 = 3241
OffTime.1 = 4
EGT.1 = 140
EngineState.2 = 0
OilQ.2 = 3386
Ind_OilQ.2 = 3386
OffTime.2 = 4
EGT.2 = 140
EngineState.3 = 0
OilQ.3 = 3238
Ind_OilQ.3 = 3238
OffTime.3 = 4
EGT.3 = 143

On the other hand, there is a file called "747QOTSII_options.ini" and in the "[engines]" section it has the following entries:

[Engines]
OilQ_UseLast = 1
OilQ_Last.0 = 3230
OilQ_Last.1 = 3203
OilQ_Last.2 = 3357
OilQ_Last.3 = 3201

The timestamp for this file match with the time of the end of my last flight, so I understand that this file is updated on every flight and I understand that these are the oil levels that each engine had at the end of my last flight.

So, how is all this managed in the simulator? What configuration should I have so that, at the beginning of a flight, the amount of oil was the one left at the end of the previous flight?

Antonio.

Same here. Every time I start a flight, oil quantity is 20 - 20 - 21 - 20.  I´ve logged 90 hours using the same (Lufthansa) livery, mostly touch and gos and some longer routes. My startup state is "short". That´s the only difference, otherwise I´m using the same procedure to start my flights. But is it right? 

Best, Arne

Edit: I forgot another difference, my sim is FSX-SE...

LABOX4.jpg

While this is an interesting option to have 

If you want to run the aircraft realistically,it is highly likely that the engines would be topped back up to full before the next flight

Pete Little

38 minutes ago, mazelda said:

While this is an interesting option to have 

If you want to run the aircraft realistically,it is highly likely that the engines would be topped back up to full before the next flight

Yes, but the whole point of having this option is that you get to do the topping up yourself! I think your missing the point😀.

Cheers

Neil Warren

9 hours ago, nawarren said:

Yes, but the whole point of having this option is that you get to do the topping up yourself! I think your missing the point😀.

Cheers

Neil Warren

Youre right. I also know it´s not realistic to never refill. But since it´s a feature PMDG offers I want to understand how it´s supposed to work. That´s all. I just want to see if I´m doing something wrong or if there´s a bug in the software...

The Introduction manual just states:

"This option stores the remaining engine oil at the end of a flight so that it will be the level at the beginning of the next flight (in the particular tail number, unless using a fixed config)."

Maybe I´m missing something here, but It doesnt sound like I´m supposed to SAVE the flight for this to work...

LABOX4.jpg

14 hours ago, nawarren said:

Cheers

Neil Warren

Hi Neil

I'm not missing the point.

However if you wish to do it yourself then thats great,what I would say is, if you are trying to create a realistic 747 scenario, then you will always start off with full oils at the start of the flight,so starting a new longhaul flight with lower oil levels than full, is not realistic. 

you could always take it a stage further I suppose  and create unseviceable items that will not work for the duration of flights treating these systems as inop.

but  to do this you would need to get hold of the MEL for any opsig. Would makes things  more realistic certainly.

But I'm starting to go off topic here.

In the end if you want to run the engines for long periods of time lowering oil levels,before doing it then thats a personal preference nothing more, nothing less.

Just enjoy the sim

rgds

Pete Little

8 hours ago, LABOX said:

Maybe I´m missing something here, but It doesnt sound like I´m supposed to SAVE the flight for this to work...

I do believe you're correct. It should save the current levels when you exit your flight. I haven't checked to see if this is working properly on my setup but I thought I'd just ask whether you're running your sim as an administrator. Not doing so can cause certain things not to save properly.

Walter Meier

1 minute ago, wsmeier said:

I do believe you're correct. It should save the current levels when you exit your flight. I haven't checked to see if this is working properly on my setup but I thought I'd just ask whether you're running your sim as an administrator. Not doing so can cause certain things not to save properly.

Thanks for the reply Walter! Yes I do run FSX SE as administrator and I disabled all the windows UAC stuff.

LABOX4.jpg

5 minutes ago, LABOX said:

Thanks for the reply Walter! Yes I do run FSX SE as administrator and I disabled all the windows UAC stuff.

Bummer. Thought we might have an easy fix. I'll check in the next few days to see if I can observe the same behavior.

Walter Meier

4 hours ago, mazelda said:

Hi Neil

I'm not missing the point.

However if you wish to do it yourself then thats great,what I would say is, if you are trying to create a realistic 747 scenario, then you will always start off with full oils at the start of the flight,so starting a new longhaul flight with lower oil levels than full, is not realistic. 

you could always take it a stage further I suppose  and create unseviceable items that will not work for the duration of flights treating these systems as inop.

but  to do this you would need to get hold of the MEL for any opsig. Would makes things  more realistic certainly.

But I'm starting to go off topic here.

In the end if you want to run the engines for long periods of time lowering oil levels,before doing it then thats a personal preference nothing more, nothing less.

Just enjoy the sim

rgds

Hi,

I was just trying to make the point that the original poster was mentioning a possible bug to an option listed by PMDG. By just saying well don't worry as normal ops the A/C oil will be full anyway is not helping him to resolve or understand his issue. And is therefore not really helpful to anyone. Far better for someone to post with a solution to the issue.

In real life a pilot will probably never experience an engine failure his whole commercial career yet PMDG given us eng failure options to program. Same as with the oil, its an option, yet doesn't seem to work. Rather than your suggestion of ignoring it, lets try and get it fixed. 

Cheers

Neil Warren

• Upvote 2

If you don't load a saved flight but rather load a new default flight then you are over writing the previously saved panel state with a default state.

I didn't test this feature... heck, I didn't notice it but it is possible you found a bug.  I notice that PMDG has the save oil feature in the 747 QOTSII options. ini file... and also there are panel state files for each saved flight with engine oil values.  I presume the way this option works is the engine oil at the beginning of a session with be either 1) Default panel state, 2) saved panel state unless you have the option on in which case the value would be 3) saved value from previous flight.  That they say is it based on tail number is confusing to me because panel states association with saved flights implies the same tail number. 

This might be something worth looking at. I like to save a flight at end of session and then beginning of next session start with that saved state and expect oil to be as before, which it is. This option seems to add a new way of doing that if it is working.

The important thing is that if you can show that the saved oil feature does not work then the only way to report it is to submit trouble ticket to PMDG Product Support so the item can be verified and tracked in their bug tracking system.

Dan Downs KCRP

I can report that it's same on P3D. I've been looking at this for a while.

Erik "Ernom" Toth