Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

XP11 B13 Ocean water landings...

I set up a flight today, in Bermuda, and after taking off...and then heading over the ocean, (into the wind), and with full flaps...at 55knots into the wind...I can not make a successful water landing in the Cessna (default) float.  I have tried ten times, and each time, even...practically stalling just over the water, into the wind,  the tips of the pontoons seem to grab the water/waves, and I flip, crash and burn.

I am having no luck with water landings, where before in earlier XP11 betas, and in XP10, I have had many successful water landings.  No matter how slow in knots 55, to stall speed, JUST ABOVE THE WATER...I can NOT land without a flip and crash.

Have they tweaked the water restrictive drag values, as they have in general with trying to get any gear-based start to roll, other than almost full throttle?  I wonder, if water resistance on the pontoons, has also been overly affected.

It also might have to be with the simulated wave-heights, driven by the wind...which is being given data by xEnviro 1.6.

I dunno...will keep trying...but this is getting ridiculous.  I have the pontoons front tips attitude-high, even about at stall..and STILL they grab the water...and a flip over crash ensues... 

If you want to try your luck...go to Bermuda International right now...with xEnviro 1.6 feeding the wind values...and see if you can ocean land, without also a flip and crash. I'd be interested!

Post Edit:  I think that I might have found a serious B13 bug...but with respect to water landings.   For one thing, it is simply ridiculous the amount of throttle (I have to give the Cessna Float (default) FULL throttle to even get the plane to move forward. This must be addressed. I think Laminar went way overboard (if you forgive the pun...) with resistance to movement, prop wash, and torque...since about B3 or so.  Either I had in early betas, been moving at almost instantly, upto 20 knots at engine idle...to about by B7 onwards...that you can't even get default or 3rdP planes to move an inch unless you throttle up to almost max throttle, prop, turbo prop, or jet.  Austin went way overboard, to the other end of the throttle-plane roll spectrum.  Way overboard.  I think this resistance to movement is also playing out between the surface of the water, and the pontoons.  I should not be wiping out, like I just landed on runways, with my brakes fully locked up...you'd flip...and this is what is happening in my 60-55...to almost stall knots water landings, open ocean.

I haven't tried water landings but it doesn't surprise me to read your comments. I know this is a beta version but it shouldn't be used as a 'research' version. The 'friction' element of XP 11 is regressing with each new version. Laminar Research should do its testing internally,  not publicly.

Thanks for your post reply guys...yep..there is something wrong with the water drag upon other bodies.  I just placed myself on the water...and tried to lift off. I could not generate enough speed with the pontoons in the water, to rotate. I just kept running across the water on my take off run......  There is too much drag...as though you are actually trying to land upon wet sand, or concrete....or trying...to rotate into the air, from off of it!

Crash 'n burn...

I did try it again and i did manage it to land on water and to takeoff from water. So not sure about a bug anymore. But there seems to be an effect file missing on my PC.

11 minutes ago, jt8d9a said:

I did try it again and i did manage it to land on water and to takeoff from water. So not sure about a bug anymore. But there seems to be an effect file missing on my PC.

Ah, but that is upon a lake...inland water.  Wave heights, etc.  Try and do that once more off of the island of Bermuda, open ocean, etc.   I just landed fine at the same location, with xEnviro 1.6 doing the wind, within XP10.  No problems, no plane flip.  Went back again to XP11 B13, ocean landing...and wiped out.

4 minutes ago, Longranger said:

The whole watereffects at this moment are work in progress. In the beginning they had hoped that the 3D water ( http://developer.x-plane.com/2016/10/developer-blooper-reel-water-world/ ) would be ready. It will also need a renovated water physics layer.

OK...I do understand that this is still Beta runs...but thought to post this inability to land open ocean, not inland lake/river

Just did the Bermuda Island landing into the wind with XP10, and had a great water landing, and taxi.  Tried the same exact scenario with XP 11 B13, and wiped out the second the pontoons made contact with the water surface....

You are right, there is a difference between inland water and ocean water.

Same landing on ocean water:

lol

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sesquashtoo said:

OK...I do understand that this is still Beta runs...but thought to post this inability to land open ocean, not inland lake/river

X-Plane 10 didn´t even knew the difference. And this is not really a part of the beta. 11.0 won´t have 3D water. What you see and use is no more than a foundation or a place holder for a new physics layer.

So there is no bug to fix, instead they have to finish the complete engine.

Well I hate to sound like the simpleton of the bunch but why would LR release a floatplane and not allow users to land on the water unless it was meant to be tested and reported?

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit

I tried an ocean landing of off KLAX, with the default 172SP with floats successfully. I was able to do several landings and takeoffs, I did set my water settings very low. Made sure it was a calm day with winds at 160 degrees.  Perhaps the default water settings are too much, or maybe a bug in the area you were in.

10 minutes ago, wb5okj said:

I tried an ocean landing of off KLAX, with the default 172SP with floats successfully. I was able to do several landings and takeoffs, I did set my water settings very low. Made sure it was a calm day with winds at 160 degrees.  Perhaps the default water settings are too much, or maybe a bug in the area you were in.

I have all my settings at full max. With those settings, it is impossible to land successfully if there is any wind content, upon open ocean water. Same full settings inside XP10, and no problem...anywhere.

If your water settings are at max, I would find it surprising if you could land a small plane in it. That would be 20 ft waves at 20 knots or more.

I just retried the open ocean landing of off KLAX with real wx on, wind was 220 at 16 waves set at 3 ft the landing was successful but very rough, I don't think you could land in more than 3ft waves the tail of the plane was dipping into the water while setting on the water. Was able to take off again

Please don't take this as being confrontational, but open ocean landings are possible if the water settings are set up to be reasonable. I thing X-Plane's idea of turbulence is much overdone, and I suspect that is the case of water settings also. I wish LR would tone down the turbulence in the simulation to be more reasonable. I have flown in turbulence over Greeley Co severe enough to pop out the rear windshield on a C172N and in that kind of turbulence didn't have as much trouble as you get in X-Plane. 

Happy day to everyone,