Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

XP11 B13 Ocean water landings...

12 hours ago, jt8d9a said:

lol

That is hilarious :biggrin:

35 minutes ago, wb5okj said:

I just retried the open ocean landing of off KLAX with real wx on, wind was 220 at 16 waves set at 3 ft the landing was successful but very rough, I don't think you could land in more than 3ft waves the tail of the plane was dipping into the water while setting on the water. Was able to take off again

Please don't take this as being confrontational, but open ocean landings are possible if the water settings are set up to be reasonable. I thing X-Plane's idea of turbulence is much overdone, and I suspect that is the case of water settings also.

There was a problem with the early XP11 betas where you couldn't land at all, anywhere on water without flipping over. I don't know if that's been fixed, but addressing your last point I'd like to add two comments:

First, it's possible that some people having difficulty with water landings are using XEnviro, where it just isn't possible to know what the wind speed is, or how that's affecting wave height. That weather plugin just doesn't tell you what's going on under the hood.

Second, I live in an area (Pacific Northwest) where floatplanes operate, and it's not the usual thing that they do "open ocean landings." These planes operate in protected bays, where the wave height is minimal. A quick search of seaplane ports in this area, or anywhere in the world really, will show you that preferred landing areas are in protected waters.

The only planes I'm familiar with that can handle actual offshore ocean landings (within limits), are the ones with amphibious hull designs like a Grumman Goose, Albatross, PBY Catalina, etc. Land planes retrofitted with floats operate under more restricted parameters for wave height, although it's an open question how well X-Plane models those differences with boat-hull planes.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

3 hours ago, Paraffin said:

Second, I live in an area (Pacific Northwest) where floatplanes operate, and it's not the usual thing that they do "open ocean landings." These planes operate in protected bays, where the wave height is minimal. A quick search of seaplane ports in this area, or anywhere in the world really, will show you that preferred landing areas are in protected waters.

This is very important to mention. And since our sims can't differentiate between open ocean and protected water, it's quite necessary to manipulate water and weather settings to gain the effect of a protected bay if you want to even use those.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

On 3/4/2017 at 9:45 AM, jt8d9a said:

You are right, there is a difference between inland water and ocean water.

Same landing on ocean water:

lol

LMAO!  Never seen wings rip off the airframe before in any sim!  lol

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

15 hours ago, wb5okj said:

Please don't take this as being confrontational, but open ocean landings are possible if the water settings are set up to be reasonable. I thing X-Plane's idea of turbulence is much overdone,

I don´t think the turbulences are the real issue. The whole dynamic of a water landing in X-Plane 10 was wrong. In reality. No plane can start directly into the air. First it floats. You start to pick up speed but the drag is extreme. If you reach a critical speed, something changes. All planes hav a step in their floating bodies. If you reach a certain speed the plane no longer floats, it goes up the step and "flies" over the waves like a speedboat. The surface of the water works like a solid body and the plane more or less stands on the surface. In this state the drag by the watter decreases. Only due to this reduced drag the plane can reach a speed where its wings can carry the plane.

If you land on the waterthe process works in the opposite direction. You touch the water and you skip along the surface, till you you become so slow, that the surface no longer carries your weight and you sink till your floats are so deep in the water that they can carry the whight of the whole plane.

X-Plane 10 only kinew the states: It floats in the water-> it fliesl.To even allow a water landing you had a certain control to directly set the height of the waves (on the whole planet).

If I see it correctly at the moment the height of the waves is determined by the wind.

If wave action is being considered a part of X-plane, the physical parameters of water itself would need to be modeled to accept outside forces.  In the grand scheme of things for X-Plane, I don't know if they would go through with such in-depth simulation.  If water is a physical surface, that continually moves and even changes direction, an aircraft landing in it, would create a transformation of the wave action, meaning that when water moves in one direction and an aircraft lands, say perpendicular to the action, then the water would need to change direction with the aircraft.  Then also consider the density of water, the displacement of the water relative to the aircraft as ell as the vertical motion of the aircraft while sitting in the water.

Engage, research, inform and make your posts count! -Jim Morvay

Origin EON-17SLX - Under the hood: Intel Core i7 7700K at 4.2GHz (Base) 4.6GHz (overclock), nVidia GeForce GTX-1080 Pascal w/8gb vram, 32gb (2x16) Crucial 2400mhz RAM, 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS w/G-SYNC, Samsung 950 EVO 256GB PCIe m.2 SSD (Primary), Samsung 850 EVO 500gb M.2 (Sim Drive), MS Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit