Sign in to follow this  
Freo

FSX will not open.

Have just tried to start FSX, and on clicking the desktop icon, it says "Open file location", instead of the usual 'Open".

When I click on that, a small window opens that says "Windows cannot find the target"  I haven't changed anything since the last time I used it, except I have been having start problems with the computer itself.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit, FSX Acceleration

Cheers.

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

And if you going to the root of FSX and clicking on the icon FSX?

If FSX starting this way,remove the icon on your desktop and make a new icon on your desktop.

Jan

If you have the same problem to start other applications, it's most probably a registry problem. Can you describe your PC startup problems? Did you have some BSOD / shut down recently?

I had corrupted registry once, and i had BSOD on every startup. Fixed it by going to Windows Advanced Boot Options screen and selecting "Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)". This will load copy of registry saved by OS before BSOD(before registry was corrupted).

If only FSX has this problem, try FSXRegUtility https://www.tweakfs.com/store/free_tools.php Some antivirus programs may cause this too, it's important for FSX to be excluded from AV scanning

18 minutes ago, lodestar said:

Some antivirus programs may cause this too, it's important for FSX to be excluded from AV scanning

But only if you specifically think that the AV software is causing the problems! If that's the case, you'd be better off changing to a different AV scanner than leaving potential vulnerabilities on your system. I've never excluded FSX from scans (since it was first released) and have yet to see any problems caused specifically by the AV software. I use Bitdefender and highly recommend it. It always comes near the top in comparative tests and, in my experience, has no noticeable effect on performance.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

Problem resolved. Thanks for the replies.

Neil Ward

CPU Intel Core i7 7740X@4.30Ghz with FrostFlow 240L Liquid Cooling, M/B ROG STRIX X299-E-GAMING, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, RAM G.Skill 32GB DDR4 Ripjaws Blue, 

I had a cable disconnect on my hard drive, and had problems getting programmes to open. After fixing the cable fault, the FSX desktop icon wouldn't open the program.  I took the advice that F70, above offered, and that seemed to have resolved the problem.

It wasn't, anything to do with my AV, registry, or BIOS.

Cheers.

Neil Ward