Sign in to follow this  
SidekickUBT

Prepar3d v4

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Windows 10 has about 25% of of the market share as of last month, Windows 7 has almost 50%. That would be LM shooting themselves in the foot. 

Well...

All I can say is that I have fifteen PC's at the shop running Windows 7 and four PC's at home running on Windows 10

Business before pleasure ;)

Floyd Stolle

www.stollco.com

4 hours ago, ErichB said:

Agree.  Too much professing by those who don;t have more than a clue than you or I.  It is not inconceivable to have more than one target market defining your revenue stream.  

I'll be tickled if and when XP11 or Dovetail's release garners the kind of 3rd party support needed to sustain them, and will happily say goodbye to P3D at that point.  Yes, I've enjoyed P3D enough to warrant using it, but that is almost entirely because of 3rd party content:  HiFi Simulation stuff, FSCaptain, ORBX stuff, etc.  What did the core product provide for $200?:

Pros:  

1. Autogen popup changed  
  2. Shadowing added, bloom revised  (Already done w/ DX10 Fixer)
  3. Better VAS management (never had one OOM in FSX anyway!)

Cons:

1. Minus $200
  2. Poorer water rendering
  3. Poorer AA performance 
  4. Loss of a few default aircraft and a few aircraft not ported to P3D
  5. No change to 10y/o ATC

I'd much rather support a company w/ a product dedicated to desktop users as that indeed is what I and 99.5% of all AVSIM members are!

Edited by vgbaron
Removed speculation about EULA

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 hours ago, Noel said:

I think to some extent there is/was a strong psychological element which drew us to the LM name.  It somehow legitimised desktop flightsimming as something more 'serious' than just a game - and everyone was up for a bit of that.  It kind of validates the idea that you could learn from it for real.  

Do I think it's been 'worth' spending $600 (on the based sim alone) for three versions of a revamped FSX? Not sure.  But I love it.

Edited by vgbaron
removed quoted speculation re EULA
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

I think to some extent there is/was a strong psychological element which drew us to the LM name.  It somehow legitimised desktop flightsimming as something more 'serious' than just a game - and everyone was up for a bit of that.  It kind of validates the idea that you could learn from it for real.  

Do I think it's been 'worth' spending $600 (on the based sim alone) for three versions of a revamped FSX? Not sure.  But I love it.

Been simming for just about 30 years, have flown commercial sims in the 20+ million dollar category, frequently, and P3D is the best home sim I have found to date. 

• Upvote 6

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

It somehow legitimised desktop flightsimming as something more 'serious' than just a game - and everyone was up for a bit of that.

Yep, this was their marketing genius IMO--a bit of whitewashing the fence as it were ;o)

• Upvote 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Been simming for just about 30 years, have flown commercial sims in the 20+ million dollar category, frequently, and P3D is the best home sim I have found to date. 

Have to agree

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jim Young said:

I agree Ray.  I apologize for making a misleading statement.  I thought I had seen where all 32 bit add-ons would work in any 64 bit app and tried to find it but could not. 

Best regards,

Jim

DLL's are loaded into the address space of the process that uses them.  That's why 64-bit EXE's use 64-bit DLL's and 32-bit EXE's use 32-bit DLL's.

However, 64-bit EXE's and 32-bit EXE's can potentially work together because each has its own address space.  They only require a compatible method of communicating with each other.  If LM keeps the SimConnect API the same (or at least backward compatible), a 32-bit EXE using an existing 32-bit simconnect.dll could still work with a new 64-bit Prepar3d.exe.  That's very common with products like the Oracle DBMS.  They ship 32-bit and 64-bit DLL's (or .so's for Unix/Linux) so that 32- and 64-bit clients are supported.

Edited by LRW
  • Upvote 1

Larry

i9-9900k@5.0 HT, Maximus XI Code, 16GB TridentZ @ 4000, 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hydro, ekwb EK-KIT P360 water, 4K@30, W10 Pro, P3D v5.0

4 minutes ago, Noel said:

Yep, this was their marketing genius IMo

Indeed it was

Okay, now's the time to put all our hopes and theories to the test.  Come on LM, let it loose, we're ready to move forward here:-)

1 hour ago, ErichB said:

Do I think it's been 'worth' spending $600 (on the based sim alone)

When individual add-on aircraft and airport upgrades cost $50'ish each, I think $200 for the underlying enabling technology is reasonable.

Hi everybody,

I'm not a expert on 32 bits and 64 bits applications, but I was able to convert some of my scenery from P3D to Xplane11, Flytampa, LatinVFR etc..., For the conversion, some of them was easy to do other need more work. For sure all the light on airport need to be retouch. But overall I was able to get my airport working at 95%  on Xplane 11

For the performance, I was able to see a small improvement, for sure I was not using a PMDG 777 or a FSLab airplane, I did my test with the default 737...  The

(Maybe my example is no good because I try Xplane but ...) 

So, if LM goes with a P3D v4 64 bit, I'm confident that a lot of scenery will work on the 64 bits platform but with some issue... 

Ex: If LM had decide to change their lightning system, most of light will not work...  

For the airplane that is another story...

Edited by Dervakon
missing info

3 hours ago, Noel said:

I'd say it was more contractual, if Dovetail bought rights at the same time to make an entertainment version of MS ESP then they would've insisted that LM couldn't compete

Either way, someone at LM clearly wanted this in the hands of the little guy, mainly for the money, but perhaps also for the large scale testing of the platform?

Edited by vgbaron
removed quoted reference to EULA

I tend to agree that we are essentially beta-testers for LM, which is fine by me.  If they really looked at our feedback, then that's an incredible source of information that can be used to make their products better and appeal to their more lucrative customers.  In any case, let's get v4 out so we can get to work hehe.  This is like waiting for Christmas when I was a kid..

• Upvote 1

This has been a good thread with some valid discussions of what we would like to see in V4 but, if it keeps roaming over to discussions of EULA and entertainment vs professional - I'll just shut it down.

Let's stay on topic please.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I'm intruiged by the 2 versions of P3D, 3.5 & 4.0 ....

I hope theres a good performance boost with DX12, but I suspect 4 will just be 64bit;

I'd like to see sloped runway AI support, unlikely though?

Id love to see FSUIPC taken on by LM and incorporated into the sim;

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png