Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

New Jetine Sim Computer with PMDG 777 @ 5Ghz

I don't have the time for DIY projects. I have two Jetline System computers right now. An older one that I am typing this post on. And the newer one that I am flying the 747 on as I write this post.

9 hours ago, Alan_A said:

Thanks for posting - am seriously considering Jetline for my next system, so it's very helpful to see the video and hear about your experiences.  Trouble is, I'm having a hard time making the numbers add up - same thing that happens to me every time I think about buying/leasing a BMW.  Looks like a lovely experience, but... the cost!  So am more likely to do my own build.  But not decided yet and am considering.... seriously...  or have I mentioned that? :gaul:

:huh:

you're gonna build your own BMW? 

:biggrin:

lol, it's the way it's worded that makes it look like that.

luke pype

Luke Pype

I find it amusing that people who can spend time doing anywhere from 2 to 16 hour virtual airplane flights "don't have time" to research the components necessary, ordering them online then spending a couple of hours assembling and installing necessary software.

If you had the components at home you could go from a pile of parts to a fully functional computer in less time than it takes to fly ORD-LHR.

• Upvote 3

Jeff Calder

Just now, jcalder said:

I find it amusing that people who can spend time doing anywhere from 2 to 16 hour virtual airplane flights "don't have time" to research the components necessary, ordering them online then spending a couple of hours assembling and installing necessary software.

Amen.  Was just about to post this.

• Upvote 1

I would never dream of spending the money that they ask on a system that I can build for less...

Jeff, you have a very good point there :)

A

• Upvote 1

All he did was show us his new set up. Sadly it turns into how much? and blar blar blar....I would....

If your comfortable building your own PC, great, good for you. If not then how much he or she want to spend is down to the customer. 

Can we not be happy for the guy even if some of us would not take that route?

Come on guys!!!! not everyone wants or could build there own PC or like myself I like the idea of if there is any problems and I give it back or call them. 

I buy my PC's from Overclockers UK, Each to our own. 

The OP has a great PC and good for him.

PC parts are always a nightmare, my 780 2 weeks ago went pop, I was thinking of buying a 1080 and the card was £800 2 weeks later £620. I was very lucky and got my 1070 with19% off from the week before all because the TI is coming. But if the 1180 comes out 4 months then the 1080TI will be "cheap" your never going to win.

But a 7700 @5 and a Titan pas X is going to last him years. Good for him I say. His money to earn and spent how he likes.

Happy for him.

• Upvote 7

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

1 hour ago, Nyxx said:

All he did was show us his new set up. Sadly it turns into how much? and blar blar blar....I would....

If your comfortable building your own PC, great, good for you. If not then how much he or she want to spend is down to the customer. 

Can we not be happy for the guy even if some of us would not take that route?

Come on guys!!!! not everyone wants or could build there own PC or like myself I like the idea of if there is any problems and I give it back or call them. 

I buy my PC's from Overclockers UK, Each to our own. 

The OP has a great PC and good for him.

PC parts are always a nightmare, my 780 2 weeks ago went pop, I was thinking of buying a 1080 and the card was £800 2 weeks later £620. I was very lucky and got my 1070 with19% off from the week before all because the TI is coming. But if the 1180 comes out 4 months then the 1080TI will be "cheap" your never going to win.

But a 7700 @5 and a Titan pas X is going to last him years. Good for him I say. His money to earn and spent how he likes.

Happy for him.

I absolutely agree. As I said in my post, if you've got the money and don't mind paying the extra to have someone build it for ya that's great. The OP system is very nice indeed and I am happy for him. Don't get me wrong. To each his own. 

My only point was that when I wanted a new system I looked at Jetline and seriously considered buying from them but when I priced out the components I wanted I thought, hey, what the heck, I'm a pretty capable individual, I'm gonna do this myself and save a good chunk of change. Just wanted to make people aware of the fact that this IS an option if you'd prefer to build it yourself and put that money saved into better components. 

But again, great for the OP. VERY nice system. 

• Upvote 2

Mark Adams, KPWM

h89-left.jpgMy first build, a Heathkit H89, I assembled in 1981 at a cost of just under $2000.  That was much cheaper than the IBM PC I purchased a few years later at about $3200.  My most recent build last spring is a i7-6700K 4.7GHz OC liquid cooled 16GB DDR 3400MHz with GTX980Ti including Win10 OS just under $2000.  I've had my share of retail boxes during the years in between but at the engineering company I started working with 20 yrs ago they built all their workstations for high performance CAD that it seemed just a waste of money to buy retail.  It also adds something immeasurable to the pleasure of the hobby that I built this system myself.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

2 hours ago, jcalder said:

spending a couple of hours assembling and installing necessary software.

A couple is two hours. You are telling me you are going to build a computer and install the necessary software in two hours. It takes two hours just too install Windows and update it.

13 hours ago, MaDDogz said:

:huh:

you're gonna build your own BMW? 

:biggrin:

lol, it's the way it's worded that makes it look like that.

luke pype

Ha!  Yeah, didn't mean to suggest that.  Though y'know... if I could, it'd solve my price/value problem <heads off to find a good BMW parts supplier...> :gaul:

6 hours ago, jcalder said:

Be amused all you want.  Who says my flights are anywhere near that long?  And maybe I (or the OP) would rather spend (scarce) free time on flying than system-building.  

Also - system build time is short if everything goes well.  If you have to factor the RMA paperwork and the trips to UPS to ship bad motherboards - like I did on my worst-case build - it gets longer.

Can we agree that some people like to build and some people like to build, and whichever way they come out, it doesn't affect anybody else?  

I'll probably start on my newbuild as soon as my Delid Diemate 2 comes in.  But I'm glad the OP is enjoying his new system.

7 hours ago, pcubine said:

A couple is two hours. You are telling me you are going to build a computer and install the necessary software in two hours. It takes two hours just too install Windows and update it.

If you want to nitpick fine, it takes a "few" hours.  You happy now?

Considering assembling the hardware should only take an hour tops you could still build and install everything in less time than it does to do a typical 747 flight.

Don't get me wrong, I don't care how people spend their money.  I just find it funny that people say they "don't have time".  I'm sure that if you sacrificed just one single medium haul flight in a PMDG 777 or 747 you could save yourself like $3000.

• Upvote 1

Jeff Calder

3 hours ago, Alan_A said:

Be amused all you want.  Who says my flights are anywhere near that long?  And maybe I (or the OP) would rather spend (scarce) free time on flying than system-building.  

Also - system build time is short if everything goes well.  If you have to factor the RMA paperwork and the trips to UPS to ship bad motherboards - like I did on my worst-case build - it gets longer.

Can we agree that some people like to build and some people like to build, and whichever way they come out, it doesn't affect anybody else?  

I'll probably start on my newbuild as soon as my Delid Diemate 2 comes in.  But I'm glad the OP is enjoying his new system.

I never said your flights were that long.  It was someone else who said they didn't have time then in the same paragraph said they were doing a flight in the 747.  Typically 747 flights are fairly long.

I've built probably 100+ systems over the years and I've RMAed one motherboard and three video cards.  Not a common occurrence.

For the record I never said it affected me if others want to buy pre-made systems at rip off prices.  It's just an observation enhanced by whoever said they don't have time.  If you're flying a 747 or 777 as it was intended you should have hours upon hours while cruising to assemble a PC.

• Upvote 1

Jeff Calder

Well just a few thoughts on my post.

1.  No way do I want to build my own machine.  As a rich 52 year old guy and a cancer survivor, I find time is precious, not money. 

My 4 year old computer finally crashed due to multiple hardware issues - so I took a big leap with unknown P3D and wanted someone to do a custom set up.

I loved that Jetline built a computer that was fully loaded with all my add-ons and configured it perfectly.  They even added my liveries - yeah I know it takes 30 seconds to do so.  All I had to do was plug in the Throttletek Throttles and set them up.  I was flying the latest 747, 737 and 737 in no time.    Yes, with a Master's degree in Engineering, I can easily assembly a computer.  But with golf season approaching and hours needed at the range, tuning by new Charger Hellcat 707 HP engine to 800 HP, my daughter who needs help with chemistry and Trig, running my business and making wifey happy, my time is limited.  The Jetline sim cost $4000 delivered.  I figured parts cost $3,200 - the Titan X card was $1200 alone.  I have a 1 TB SSD, and they made a complete back up on a separate drive.  Plus they OC'd the damn CPU to 5-5.1 GHz and optimized all the settings for max performance.  So the extra $800 was well spent in my book.  Heck, I spend $1,200 every time I use the full motion sim in Miami.  BTW, I am planning another sim trip to Miami and want to do the 777 again.  If anyone wants to join me, let me know.  I'll do 2 hours in the left seat, and then we swap seats and you do 2 hours flying in left seat.  I'll do a separate post later on this. Anyway thanks for the comments - very interesting - and I do respect all of you.  I can count on this message board to solve many problems and I thank you all.

• Upvote 2

Paul Gugliotta

I'd probably get one built if I ever decided to go that route, but that's because I just don't have the expertise to be able to build one myself.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.