Sign in to follow this  
paulyg123

New Jetine Sim Computer with PMDG 777 @ 5Ghz

I did 200 pushups...dang I'm bragging...

spacer.png

Something more about Jetline - the reason they impress me is that a couple of years ago, I called them to spec out a system I was considering as a replacement for my current one.  We went over my current specs, and after that brief conversation they told me I ought to stick with it and not replace it, because a new one wouldn't produce enough of a performance gain to justify the cost.  In other words, they refused to take my money when they very well could have taken it.  Sorry, but that's not how  you conduct yourself when you're trying to rip people off.

They also noted in passing that in general, if I had parts in a current build that I liked, I could ship them to them and they'd include them in a new build to help reduce the cost.

For those that think that Paul's system is over-specced - maybe, maybe not, but the bigger point is that you can easily get on the phone with them and ask them to customize.  I might want less but faster RAM than they currently suggest on their website.  I have no doubt I could order RAM to my specifications and they'd work with it.

Among my current considerations - I'm a solo-practitioner consultant, and I bill hourly.  I need to think about the time I'd spend on a build vs. what I could charge clients if I worked those hours, and reserved my leisure time for flying instead of building.  Not sure where I'll come out, but what I'm suggesting is that people who chose to buy rather than build aren't necessarily irrational actors.

There's a world of difference between "I wouldn't do it that way" and "that's not the way to do it" - a distinction that the self-righteous puritans and their cheerleader-enablers might want to think about.

The flightsim "community" can be an extremely unpleasant place sometimes.

• Upvote 2

On 3/8/2017 at 11:08 PM, jcalder said:

See, this is where I'd be paying someone to tune my car while I assembled my flight sim PC.  Everyone has different priorities. :)

I have always found the reasoning behind "I don't want to" better than saying "I don't have time" for something.  People make time for what they find is important.

It's not that your time is limited, it's that saving $1000 here or there isn't important to you, which is fine.  I'm sure my view on life would be totally different if I had a 6 or 7 digit checking account too. (this is my assumption of what "rich" means, don't take it literally to the number. Someone already called me out nitpicking some phrasing like this so I'm putting a disclaimer on this one)

Different priorities indeed. I would have bought a car that's actually capable of turning and providing an enjoyable driving experience versus something obnoxious that I can take to the country club and brag about to my golfing buddies about.

At any rate, I took Jetline's entry level computer and built it myself on Newegg using whatever was available, not searching for any extraordinary deals. $850 to build it myself versus the $1650 that Jetline charges. Lol. I'm sure I could bring that down even more if I tried shopping around even the tiniest bit on the components. Draw your own conclusions.

Among my current considerations - I'm a solo-practitioner consultant, and I bill hourly.  I need to think about the time I'd spend on a build vs. what I could charge clients if I worked those hours, and reserved my leisure time for flying instead of building.  Not sure where I'll come out, but what I'm suggesting is that people who chose to buy rather than build aren't necessarily irrational actors.

There's a world of difference between "I wouldn't do it that way" and "that's not the way to do it" - a distinction that the self-righteous puritans and their cheerleader-enablers might want to think about.

The flightsim "community" can be an extremely unpleasant place sometimes.

You mean sort of like this thread which has devolved into us comparing incomes and bragging about how important we are such that we don't have the time to do the silly things peasants do, like build computers?

I built my first computer in four hours. You're telling me you're so busy that you can't carve four hours out of a Saturday afternoon to do something you enjoy? Nonsense.

-chester mcgonigle

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, boxman83 said:

I built my first computer in four hours. You're telling me you're so busy that you can't carve four hours out of a Saturday afternoon to do something you enjoy? Nonsense.

Like I was saying...

There's a world of difference between "I wouldn't do it that way" and "that's not the way to do it"

Thanks for proving my point.

And Dan - yeah, this thread is getting to be sort of an unfortunate sinkhole, isn't it?  Move to strike - and let's let the system-builder thought police get back to things they'll enjoy more, like heading out to the parking lot to key expensive cars that offend them.

OK - enough!  as the originator of this thread, may this be the last post on this topic.  I can't lock it, but everyone has said their piece.  Let's spend our time flying the new 747. No more bickering.  We are a tight community here that few understand - so let's move on. 

• Upvote 1

Paul Gugliotta

I didn't write that I wouldn't like it when people brag with ther hardware specs. I wrote that I don't care that much, and that other people shouldn't care, too. But it seems that I discovered a nest of braggers instead, lol.

Indeed this thread needs some rest.

5 hours ago, Alan_A said:

let's let the system-builder thought police get back to things they'll enjoy more, like heading out to the parking lot to key expensive cars that offend them.

Shouldn't you be chalking up billable hours consulting people or flying your virtual airplanes instead of accusing people of being vandals?  Your precious time should probably be getting spent doing something more constructive than name-calling.

The flightsim community can be an unpleasant place.  In one breath your complaining about it and in the next you're contributing to it.

Jeff Calder

Actually just hanging out while I wait for overclockers.co.uk to send me my Delid-Die-Mate 2.

Wot?  E's gonna de-lid a Kaby Lake?

Yep.  Just like the Haswell before it.

Am all for people doing their own builds - and chances are I'm going to do one this time too.  Just think that if people want to buy, that's cool, too.

Oh, the keying cars thing?  Metaphor.  Of course nobody here would do that.  Just kinda feels sometimes like that Jetline is getting keyed, figuratively speaking.  Which I don't think it should be.

Agree with you completely on your main point, though - I should be getting back to my airplanes.  We all should.

Moving on.  My best to all the builders and all the buyers.  Peace out!

maybe  the last part of the this  thread  had  been in  gest   and  no harm  taken,  people  should  take  this  worth  a grain of salt:laugh:let  the bragging  continue:biggrin: forgot  to mention  played  the best game of golf  today    5  under :biggrin: 

• Upvote 2

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

On 3/26/2017 at 6:05 PM, pete_auau said:

maybe  the last part of the this  thread  had  been in  gest   and  no harm  taken,  people  should  take  this  worth  a grain of salt:laugh:let  the bragging  continue:biggrin: forgot  to mention  played  the best game of golf  today    5  under :biggrin: 

Jee Pete,

5 balls under..umm water?...give it away mate and enjoy your flying

Geoff Bryce