Sign in to follow this  
Luis Hernandez

Old PSS forums here at Avsim

Avsim used to host the PSS official forums, that I understand went unofficial when PSS closed. Recently (about a year ago),the link from the main forum page disappeared, but I was still able to access these forums via a Google search.

However, with the new forum software upgrade, I can't even take the Google route if I want some information about the PSS birds. Is it possible to restore the threads at the PSS forum, even if they're set as read-only, please? The PSS birds are still available for purchase in various sites. Furthermore, one of today's bargains affects 2 PSS products for FS8 and FS9.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Eh... anyone?

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

I remember PSS, but it seems like 35 years ago. Was it B747 or B777; or both?

Hi Luis,

Sorry about that!  I brought the forums back to life in "Other Forums" immediately upon your original request but forgot I was the only one who could see that. 

As you know, PSS went bankrupt because of software pirates.  Software pirates would steal the products and then come to AVSIM to get free support.  AVSIM (and I think FlightSim) kept the forums active for some time after they went bankrupt around January 2008 for user-to-user support but that soon waned as the forums became less and less active.  At your request, I have brought back the forums set in read only.  I personally thought they had the best products for this hobby and it was a great loss to our community when they had to close PSS.

I see Blackbox Simulations is now owned and operated by the former owners of PSS and they are now selling products but have their own support forums.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, I am not sure that piracy was the downfall of PSS as every install required connection and validation with their own servers, 

They basically folded their tent and ran off to Malta leaving their many genuine customers without anyway to reinstall their legitimately purchased software once they turned off the server.

The 757 was great in it's day though and I still miss it.

I am just going by their official announcement posted in an old topic here -

I'm not into investigating whether their official statement is true or false.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

On 3/12/2017 at 9:27 AM, Jim Young said:

Hi Luis,

Sorry about that!  I brought the forums back to life in "Other Forums" immediately upon your original request but forgot I was the only one who could see that. 

Thanks, Jim. However, I can't still see these forums, either from Avsim or Google. Maybe am I looking in the wrong place?

Best regards,

Found it! Problem solved. Thank you very much!

• Upvote 1

Best regards,